Teardrop heaters

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Teardrop heaters

Postby shootr » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:28 pm

Jeez, calm down people...

Don't know what you got if you don't give it a try. I sure wasn't going to babysit it all night, I work for a living. Not like I make a habit of draining it - it was 1 instance.

And if my sacrifice helps others (apparently at least one) then it was worth it. And if the "going on 4 year old deep cycle-used maybe twice a year marine battery" starts to fade, well, she had a good run.
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:46 pm

shootr wrote:Jeez, calm down people...

Don't know what you got if you don't give it a try. I sure wasn't going to babysit it all night, I work for a living. Not like I make a habit of draining it - it was 1 instance.

And if my sacrifice helps others (apparently at least one) then it was worth it. And if the "going on 4 year old deep cycle-used maybe twice a year marine battery" starts to fade, well, she had a good run.

Did not mean to come off like that. I just mend to inform that draining a battery is not a good long term plan. I have drained a battery several times before being informed.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby shootr » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:58 pm

KennethW wrote:
shootr wrote:Jeez, calm down people...

Did not mean to come off like that. I just mend to inform that draining a battery is not a good long term plan. I have drained a battery several times before being informed.
It's cool, all have to look out for each other.

Taking another one for the team tonight... 1 pad on low to see how it goes.

Got some lil baskets to organize the closets better, added hooks all over to hang stuff out of the way.

The new lights/usb adapters are awesome (wrote about them in the Electrical section). Added short charge cords and magnets so the phones stick up out of the way, and easy to use for a movie if we want, lol.

Got a new plate too - lost the last one in a forest in NE AZ somewhere... ImageImageImage
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:24 pm

After looking at were you are located. You have a lot less demand for heat then me in Minnesota. I will be road tripping the NP in next three weeks around the AZ 4 state area. If you see this it is me.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby shootr » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:03 pm

Little better - 12 hours brought the battery from 12.5v down to 11.4v.

Good to go, the intermittent use that we'll have them on won't be near as long as that.
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby shootr » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:15 pm

shootr wrote:...if the "going on 4 year old deep cycle-used maybe twice a year marine battery" starts to fade, well, she had a good run.

After some more testing, pretty sure the battery was just too far gone, so picked up a new one last weekend and started some more testing. At a starting voltage of 12.7V, I ran one seat heater on low (35W) for 6 hours and it dropped 0.1V - so I guess that confirmed the old one was shot. Feeling better that the expected single digit nights won't be a problem... :worship:
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby godskid » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:05 pm

shootr wrote:
shootr wrote:...if the "going on 4 year old deep cycle-used maybe twice a year marine battery" starts to fade, well, she had a good run.

After some more testing, pretty sure the battery was just too far gone, so picked up a new one last weekend and started some more testing. At a starting voltage of 12.7V, I ran one seat heater on low (35W) for 6 hours and it dropped 0.1V - so I guess that confirmed the old one was shot. Feeling better that the expected single digit nights won't be a problem... :worship:

Oh good! Maybe i *will* look at seat heaters again, then. Do you have an amazon link to the ones you tested?
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby shootr » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:20 pm

godskid wrote:
shootr wrote:

Oh good! Maybe i *will* look at seat heaters again, then. Do you have an amazon link to the ones you tested?
Zone Tech Car Heated Seat Cover Cushion Hot Warmer - 2-Pack 12V Classic Black Heating Warmer Pad Hot Cover Perfect for Cold Weather and Winter Driving https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FY5EEJ4/re ... LAb7EA84B2

(Working from my phone, hopefully link will work)

Leaving Thursday so by next week I'll be able to share a real "field report" lol.
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby shootr » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:47 pm

Godskid - I'd go for it - just did another mini test. 3 hours with both on low, tucked into our sleeping bags. They got warm enough that they shut off, most likely for a majority of the time. The voltage stayed at 12.6v from start of test to end. (I never put the charger on after the last test) The bags were too warm for me so I'd be shutting them off soon after pre-heating for 30 minutes or so. :thumbsup:
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby godskid » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:49 pm

shootr wrote:Godskid - I'd go for it - just did another mini test. 3 hours with both on low, tucked into our sleeping bags. They got warm enough that they shut off, most likely for a majority of the time. The voltage stayed at 12.6v from start of test to end. (I never put the charger on after the last test) The bags were too warm for me so I'd be shutting them off soon after pre-heating for 30 minutes or so. :thumbsup:

Thanks! I've left them in my Amazon "wishlist" until my next winter trip comes into view.

I hadn't thought of putting them INSIDE the sleeping bag, though. Hmmm!
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby shootr » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:58 pm

godskid wrote:
shootr wrote:Godskid - I'd go for it - just did another mini test. 3 hours with both on low, tucked into our sleeping bags. They got warm enough that they shut off, most likely for a majority of the time. The voltage stayed at 12.6v from start of test to end. (I never put the charger on after the last test) The bags were too warm for me so I'd be shutting them off soon after pre-heating for 30 minutes or so.

Thanks! I've left them in my Amazon "wishlist" until my next winter trip comes into view.

I hadn't thought of putting them INSIDE the sleeping bag, though. Hmmm!
"Trapping" the heat seems to be key. The very first time I ran them, uncovered just sitting on top of the bags - they got warm, but the next test when I left a pillow on top - that's when they REALLY hit their stride.

I imagine they'll heat up a space the size of a teardrop, but may not be the most efficient mode of operation for these.
shootr
Silver Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:31 pm

Just a FYI to those looking for a heater for their teardrop or cargo trailer. The price has come down on Diesel parking heaters $126.00 for a FULLY vented forced air heater. They can be run on Kerosene for a cleaned burn. https://www.ebay.com/i/162807313036?ul_noapp=true
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion