Condensation on the floor

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Condensation on the floor

Postby SkiBumEric » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:10 am

Hello everyone!

I've built a teardrop over the last year and its been great! Ive run across a problem with my interior though. I live in Florida and humidity is obviously everpresent. I keep having moisture developing on the floor of the cabin, which develops into mildew under the mattress. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to prevent/mitigate this? I’m thinking of trying just adding a chunk of foam insulation under the mattress, but I'm not optomistic about it. The area that develops the most condensation is actually the part of my floor that is insulated. I have under floor storage on part of the floor that doesnt cause me any issues. Thanks in advance for your help!

-Eric
SkiBumEric
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Condensation on the floor

Postby mary and bob » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:35 am

Look into Hypervent Marine condensation matting. I know of a couple people that use and like it, but have no experience with it myself.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:35 am

Eric:

I don't have the answer since I live and camp where the humidity commonly gets down around 10%.

But out of curiousity, how think is your mattress? :thinking:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby SkiBumEric » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:21 pm

The mattress is about 5 inches thick. I have a plastic cover around it to protect from the mildew. Its a pretty snug fit, so not much air movement underneath. I’ve looked into the Hypervent matting, but am hoping to find an option that doesn’t cost $140 to cover the area.
SkiBumEric
Teardrop Inspector

Postby desertmoose » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:13 pm

While in storage, could you lift the mattress and poke a couple of boxes/ blocks/ anything that would let the air circulate under the mattress?

Sam
desertmoose
The 300 Club

Postby KennethW » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:23 pm

SkiBumEric wrote:The mattress is about 5 inches thick. I have a plastic cover around it to protect from the mildew. Its a pretty snug fit, so not much air movement underneath. I’ve looked into the Hypervent matting, but am hoping to find an option that doesn’t cost $140 to cover the area.
How about getting some firing strips and make a pallet like rack under the bed.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pchast » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:57 pm

pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby working on it » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:32 pm

from another thread
working on it wrote:I used re-purposed Keter plastic shelving for an under-mattress spacer/waterbarrier on my last trip. (Formerly used as garage shelving, now just piled in a corner, I have lots of 'em, so why not use them? I've been carrying a couple for camping use, since they are waterproof and easily stored.) I arranged several for best fit, tie-wrapped them to one another, and put the mattress(s) on top. Gives about 2 inches of airspace. I recommend them for thicker mattresses, only.
shelving.jpg
shelving.jpg (45.58 KiB) Viewed 507 times
I've probably slept on these underlying shelves>water shield>vapor dissipators for total of 11 nights in all, over 1.25 years (I think), and they really don't seem to be noticeable. At first, I was using 2x Ikea 4" thick foam mattresses, but now I m only using a single firm 4" quarter-folding mattress (with a thick, waterproof, upholstered cover on it) and a single sleeping bag, and I've never been uncomfortable or felt the plastic shelves below me. And, there is sufficient airflow under the mattress and the floor covering ( commercial rubber-backed carpeted mat, that I am able to just leave the mattress in place between trips, instead of periodically rising one side or the other off the floor, to prevent mildew (I don't know why, but I've never had to separate the mat from the polyurethaned floor; there's never been any moisture build-up between them). If you might have something similar just laying around, why not re-purpose them, and try my method?
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:42 pm

SkiBumEric wrote:Hello everyone!

I've built a teardrop over the last year and its been great! Ive run across a problem with my interior though. I live in Florida and humidity is obviously everpresent. I keep having moisture developing on the floor of the cabin, which develops into mildew under the mattress. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to prevent/mitigate this? I’m thinking of trying just adding a chunk of foam insulation under the mattress, but I'm not optomistic about it. The area that develops the most condensation is actually the part of my floor that is insulated. I have under floor storage on part of the floor that doesnt cause me any issues. Thanks in advance for your help!

-Eric

We have in the past put some 1/2" foam insulation with the white plastic covering under the mattress to insulate between a cold exterior and a warm interior. It worked quite well but still got some mildew on just the foam.
I duck taped the raw edges with white duct tape.
I always cover my floor with plastic laminate to help keep moisture at bay.
Once in awhile, In warm weather, I'll remove the mattress, spray the under side with straight bleach and let it air dry in the sun.
The mattress was purchased in 2008 from the now defunked Knox Foam and it's still in great shape, considering it's been in 5 of our teardrops.:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:43 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:
SkiBumEric wrote:Hello everyone!

-Eric

We have in the past put some 1/2" foam insulation with the white plastic covering under the mattress to insulate between a cold exterior and a warm interior. It worked quite well but still got some mildew on just the foam mattress.
I duck taped the raw edges with white duct tape.
I always cover my floor with plastic laminate to help keep moisture at bay.
Once in awhile, In warm weather, I'll remove the mattress, spray the under side with straight bleach and let it air dry in the sun.
The mattress was purchased in 2008 from the now defunked Knox Foam and it's still in great shape, considering it's been in 5 of our teardrops.:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby coyote » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:27 am

Leaving the vent open a bit, helps ME some on condensation.
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Return to General Discussion