Building on a pop up frame

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Building on a pop up frame

Postby Lakkdainen » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:34 pm

Hmm... thanks for the options and fuel for thought. The idea of a fully hard sided popup was considered before, but seemed like a pain to deal with in reality.

The Wayback machine... that has serious potential. Seems to be the best of both worlds... high enough for most use, proportioned well, and can raise the roof up to standing height if desired. Seems to be a perfect mix of teardrop / crouching / standing. :) I put together a model with a chopped front, 5' floor to ceiling height, and 4x7' roof extension that can raise 18". I added in my windows to scale as well. It actually looks quite nice! I'm not sure if the final version will have folding hard panels or screen on the vertical raised section, but I can figure that out later. I should probably add in a front to back or side to side arch to that roof section as well to add strength and shed water.

5.PNG
5.PNG (52.52 KiB) Viewed 885 times

4.PNG
4.PNG (21.91 KiB) Viewed 885 times
Lakkdainen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:23 am

I didn't "pop in" earlier because it seemed that you knew what you wanted. However, now that you are considering another idea, some of these might give you ideas and encouragement: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50969

Best Wishes!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Lakkdainen » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:02 pm

S. Heisley wrote:I didn't "pop in" earlier because it seemed that you knew what you wanted. However, now that you are considering another idea, some of these might give you ideas and encouragement: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50969

Best Wishes!

Thank you very much! :) I'll definitely check those out. I suppose I knew the criteria, just didn't know enough options that fit the criteria. Plus I've been negotiating with the fiance as well. :lol:

Must haves:
Room to sleep two comfortably. I'm 6'3", so longer the better on a bed.
Seating for 5.
As much outside accessible storage as possible for kids tents, etc.
Space for mini fridge (already have one)
Dinosaur theme (fiance LOVES dinosaurs) :D

Nice to have:
place to store a portable toilet.
Standing height... this is barely below a must have.
AC (already have a window unit to use)
Ceiling vent/fan

Don't care:
Inside kitchen / cooking / water
Lakkdainen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 2bits » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:54 am

My '63 Shasta Compact has 6'3" inside and is only 10' long. The way the roof line swoops it helps compensate for the awkward height/length. Trolley tops and drop floors in the center are both ways you can help absorb the need for additional height.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 2bits » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:57 am

i also have a '68 Coleman pop up that has a great floor and roof and is the same size frame as yours so I will be watching your build to see what you come up with!
Attachments
Coleman.JPG
Coleman.JPG (196.31 KiB) Viewed 777 times
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion