Aircooler 24, anybody tried this?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Aircooler 24, anybody tried this?

Postby John Batavia » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:38 pm

So I've been a member for over a year, and it looks like this is my first post. Obviously I read more than I write!

I received an email about an "air conditioner" called the Aircooler 24, and I don't know if this is a scam, worthless
piece of junk, or just a bad idea. It uses water so perhaps it is similar to a swamp cooler. Maybe it would work
in a dry desert climate, but introducing more moisture into my Silver Shadow here in the muggy midwest might
not be the best idea.

Curious if anyone has tries this or a similar device, and your general thoughts.

John in Batavia.

https://smartsavingeconomy.com/aircoole ... 1075mi854i
John Batavia
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Aircooler 24, anybody tried this?

Postby QueticoBill » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:47 pm

Very so so reviews on Amazon. A third are just 1 out of 5.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:00 pm

It's a swamp cooler, it doesn't work well when humidity is above ~30-40%. Unlike an air conditioner, it adds moisture to the air, instead of removing it. That said, if you are camping in the desert, there are lots of easier, cheaper ways to build a swamp cooler.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:41 pm

A couple people bought them, said they didn't do much to cool plus they leaked water all over. ...Nah. Don't waste your money.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby John Batavia » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:59 pm

That's what I figured, and thanks for the replies. No swamp cooler for me!

John from Batavia
John Batavia
Teardrop Inspector

Postby NorthEGPhoto » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:02 am

I'd considered building something like this - similar in principal to how a water cooler works for a computer. two radiators, a pump, and a reservoir, couple of fans. one radiator and fan + reservoir and pump goes outside under the trailer in the hopefully cooler shade, while the other radiator and fan goes inside, with a drip tray to deal with inevitable condensation.

The pump could be controlled via a PWM controller, as could the fans. you'd run the pump so the fluid moved from the inside "hot" to the outside "cool" and the fan would push air through and cool down the fluid before returning inside to absorb more heat. the problem is it would possibly cause condensation to form inside, which needed to be dealt with. maybe you could even drink it if you wanted to. also, you'd need pretty big radiators in order to be efficient at all.. adding weight, and then also maintenance concerns. You could flip the coolant to something other than water which would help the system last longer without calcium buildup/etc but then if you do form a leak things get even messier.

This thing looks like it just lets the water soak through a cloth and blows air through it, using the evaporation cooling effect.. Probably not very effective on humid days. You might get away with putting a dehumidifier in there as well, but then you'd just be better off getting a proper A/C unit which cools the air and removes moisture anyhow.
"In the morning, the light is golden, in the midday 'tis time to nap, and in the evening the light returns. Into the night the stars shine brightly, now if only the moon would stay out of sight." - Some photographer
NorthEGPhoto
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion