WHY NOT: Door Opens Up

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

WHY NOT: Door Opens Up

Postby greenchicken » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:47 pm

My next WHY NOT is...

Why not have the door open UP to create a awning?

It would also eliminate any issue with a door hitting the wheel fenders... I want as big a door as I can fit.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 12.23.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 12.23.47 PM.png (25.36 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
greenchicken
Teardrop Advisor

Re: WHY NOT: Door Opens Up

Postby lfhoward » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:02 pm

It would help the inside of your trailer stay dry when you open the door in the rain. And it would increase the cool factor of your trailer.

You wouldn’t be able to open the doors inside a narrow garage or someplace where a vehicle is parked next to your trailer. Opening up a door of this type takes more room.

It would add build complexity. You’d need gas struts that are sized and mounted correctly for the door’s weight. And you’d need a roof strong enough to support the weight of the doors. But it probably could be done. Most likely it would be simpler to make than a typical curved back hatch over a galley.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby greenchicken » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:57 pm

Good point. I would have a standard style small door on the other side to accommodate situation where the door won't open.
greenchicken
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MikeG2 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:29 pm

Obviously the top joint seal is something would need to be carefully detailed and well constructed.
MikeG2
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:41 pm

Inca Outdoors did their teardrops that way. But they went belly-up. You can probably find them on Youtube.

It's just a matter of figuring out the seals, latch, and struts --and how to reach up and close them.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:43 pm

Been done, I really like the idea. I was thinking of it but it just was going to be a lot of extra work. When you add up the cost of all the parts to make a door then add the time in, for me it's hard to justify building over buying. For me I have about 1.5 hours in my doors from ordering and installing them.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby greenchicken » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:57 pm

I thought I would use the same hurricane hinge as the galley. Would that not be a simple and effective?

Several comment about the extra cost and effort.

Am I underestimating how significant this will be? Why would a door that opens up be harder then a door that opens to the side... other then the pistons and I might just use a pole to prop it up.
greenchicken
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DWT77 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:42 am

tony.latham wrote:Inca Outdoors did their teardrops that way. But they went belly-up. You can probably find them on Youtube.

It's just a matter of figuring out the seals, latch, and struts --and how to reach up and close them.

Tony

I didn't know they went out of business. I had watched a couple of their youtube videos. The teardrops looked sharp and really well built
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby aggie79 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:01 am

When raining, an open hatch will direct rainfall toward the hurricane hinge. Sometimes this pooling water will bypass the hinge and go into the galley. I would imagine this same situation would be something to contend with if you were to do a top-hinged door.

greenchicken wrote:It would also eliminate any issue with a door hitting the wheel fenders

Unless you have a "suicide door" arrangement, most teardrop doors are hinged on the opposite side of the fender and therefore swing away from fenders.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:04 am

DWT77 wrote:
tony.latham wrote:Inca Outdoors did their teardrops that way. But they went belly-up. You can probably find them on Youtube.

Tony

I didn't know they went out of business. I had watched a couple of their youtube videos. The teardrops looked sharp and really well built

Yep. Apparently lots of unfilled orders without a return on the deposit.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:08 am

I thought I would use the same hurricane hinge as the galley. Would that not be a simple and effective?

If you are referring to keeping the moisture out, no. You'll need to figure out a way to seal all four sides of the door. This is usually done with a lip on the inside of the wall and a gap for weather stripping. Much like your car door.

Propping up a door like this with a stick sounds like a headache to me. :shock:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby BrwBier » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:30 pm

how tall is your trailer? That might be a problem if you always had to stoop around the door.
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion