Gas Stoves, Drop-in vs Portable

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Gas Stoves, Drop-in vs Portable

Postby FM82 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:37 pm

Drop-in gas stove, versus a portable gas stove. I haven't made my mind up for my build, but I'm beginning to like the idea of a portable. I believe I can see the pros and cons of each, but that's having no experience with either one in this situation. I would like to hear from others that have done one or the other.

Aside from the portability of one, and permanent mount of the other, are there any drawbacks or perks of one over the other for use in the galley?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I have no idea what I'm doing.
FM82
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Gas Stoves, Drop-in vs Portable

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:46 pm

One of the great things about teardrop (vs. tent) camping is the lack of setup.

I wouldn't have a teardrop without a built-in stove. Pull it out, hit the piezo and we're cooking with gas.

Stop by sometimes, the coffee will be ready in a sec. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:47 pm

FM82 wrote:Drop-in gas stove, versus a portable gas stove. I haven't made my mind up for my build, but I'm beginning to like the idea of a portable. I believe I can see the pros and cons of each, but that's having no experience with either one in this situation. I would like to hear from others that have done one or the other.

Aside from the portability of one, and permanent mount of the other, are there any drawbacks or perks of one over the other for use in the galley?

We have both. I really like the ease and simplicity of the drop-in. I wasn't sure how much we would use it because I have a beautifully restored 1957 Coleman two-burner that has been a constant camping companion. I carried it around in a storage compartment all summer and only used it a couple of times. Having the drop in and 20lbs of fuel at the ready is just so easy! No muss no fuss. I certainly won't get rid of my '57. But I have to be honest when I say the Flame King is giving her a rest.

www.astroliner.blogspot.com

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:16 pm

I probably spent to much time thinking about the stove in my build. We came from tent camping in mostly remote sites, off a motorcycle. So no picnic table and very small stove, no where to prep food. So on our teardrop I didn’t want to lose counter top space with a built in stove. So that meant a portable. I liked the way Tony did his but you still lose work space and started to build a swing out shelf that would put the stove just to the left of the galley and still leave the full counter free to work but it was getting to be a bit much work on the swing out. So my stove will sit on a table outside the galley, and store in a drawer or shelf in the galley. Not ideal for everyone but I hope it will work for us. I’m planning on getting a Partner Steel 22” stove if I can fit it. I also want it to be portable because I want to camp in areas we won’t be able to take the camper and I know that stove can handle the abuse in the back of the Jeep.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:37 pm

I’m planning on getting a Partner Steel 22” stove if I can fit it.

Todd:

I'm going to use the Partner 18" and have it on a slider at 90º over the water jug for this next build.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby booyah » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:59 am

I love having a portable stove in my teardrop. I can totally cook in the back, or take it out, put it on a table and cook there if I want more space.

I might hook a 5lb tank up under the counter and run a line through to make it easier to cook in the tear, but really its just screwing the 1lb into the stove and you're ready to go.
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:24 am

I might hook a 5lb tank up under the counter and run a line through to make it easier to cook in the tear,

I chose that Primus because the gas connector comes out of the bottom. It's plumbed below into the drawer where the bottle nets. It's always hooked up.

Quick is good.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:15 pm

am good with the portable set-up - very versatile in being able to cook on any surface - picnic table-trailer side table-inside/out side trailer with the 2.5 gal tank on tongue and the 15 foot propane hose - can cook just about anywhere within reach (and anywhere else with the 'extra' 2.5 gal tank also being carried in the back of the PU for what-ever.......) Why carry two tanks?? love the size and being I got both new "old stock" on shelf (2year old -2012build 'ex'2024) from a co-worker that paid $15 each on closeout - did some horse trading and got them with no $$$ spent!! :thumbsup: :applause:
gudmund
500 Club

Postby Esteban » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:56 pm

halfdome, Danny inspired me to use
a campchef.com/deluxe-outdoor-camping-oven on a slide out drawer similar to how Danny does in his galley.

Costco sells one for $199.99.
Amazon.com sells one for $149.99 "used" or from $199.99 and up for a new one. amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Camping-Outdoor-Burner

Unboxing a new Camp Chef Stove & Oven
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:23 am

I think it's a personal preference, depending on how you cook. (I have both but have never pulled out the portable in the 7+ years that I have used my trailer.)

If you or someone you cook with is a messy cook, portable might be better because you can move it away from the teardrop and keep the galley cleaner.

If you don't cook much or cook simple, non-greasy, non fish-smelling foods, you will appreciate a drop-in model.

If you bake, a pull-out shelf might be ideal.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:01 pm

tony.latham wrote:
I’m planning on getting a Partner Steel 22” stove if I can fit it.

Todd:

I'm going to use the Partner 18" and have it on a slider at 90º over the water jug for this next build.

T

Nice, I remember you saying they are popular up by you and I think they are made up there. :thumbsup:

I’ll see if I can get a photo of how I’m doing my stove and post it.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:32 pm

Here's some close ups of the Camp Chef Stove/Oven combination I've put in 6 teardrops.
We use a Lodge 3 Quart Cast Iron Combo Cooker. Pre-seasoned Cast Iron Skillet, Fryer, Dutch Oven, and Convertible Skillet/Griddle Lid,
to do most of our cooking in as it's also a Dutch oven that fits in the Camp Chef Oven. :thumbsup:
We store it below the oven along with propane bottles and other cooking items.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:45 pm

Love my white gas Coleman. :thumbsup:
If the camp has a picnic table, the stove moves out of the galley.
Otherwise just pull out the slide.
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby FM82 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:28 am

Thanks for the suggestions. Like several of you guys said, I like the idea of being able to remove the portable from the counter and cook elsewhere if needed. One other thing that was mentioned was space, and the ability to move it to another spot on the counter. That's another reason for thinking a portable would nice

I was thinking maybe a Coleman Triton, or Gladiator if I went portable. For a drop-in, either the Flame King, like Atomic mentioned, or the Suburban 2-burner.

How do the drop-in stoves do in windy conditions?

I have no idea what I'm doing.
FM82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby saywhatthat » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:27 pm

Where do you camp .If bears are near portable . When you cook where you sleep you sleep in your own grease
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
500 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion