Plywood types for corners/luan alternatives

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Plywood types for corners/luan alternatives

Postby Andrew Herrick » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:38 am

tony.latham wrote:Andrew:

I'm busted.

But there's another 30% of my posts that abhor the use of OSB in campers.

With as much effort that goes into these projects, I hate seeing people cut a few corners to save a handful of bucks.

:frightened:

Tony

Agreed. :applause: After one piles 300 hours of nights and weekends into a project, that $75 saved doesn't seem like much!
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby Tomterrific » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:42 pm

I built my entire camper with Revolution Ply. At the time the description said it was ready for outside projects. A bare piece lasted a year in the rain and snow without delaminating. I would probably use A better product next time even though it is still holding up sitting outside since built.

I started to bend a fresh sheet of ply and soon worried the bend was too tight and the ply too stiff for success. I made a bending jig with 2 x 4 and ratchet straps to slowly pre bend the ply over night. This pre bent ply allowed me to place a 4 x 8 sheet accurately for the front and roof. You will have much less trouble if you pre bend your ply.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby twisted lines » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:40 am

Andrew Herrick wrote: Russian - not Chinese - Baltic Birch is made with an exterior glue and less than a handful of voids per sheet. It's the standard for teardrop construction, and many Baltic Birch shells have decades of use under their belt. It's great stuff.

Unless you're lucky enough to live in an area where it's easy to special-order plywood from big manufacturers like Roseburg and Columbia, the choices are often slim. Anyhow, back on track .... interior-grade panels work - until they don't. You don't get the forgiveness inherent in an exterior-grade plywood.

Since you plan to paint the exterior, I'd go with Baltic Birch or ACX plywood. You don't want the telegraphing of a B- or C-grade panel, and unless you like spending money, I can't imagine marine plywood will improve the build. Take your savings and splurge on a higher quality paint :)

Stolen interesting stuff. :thumbsup:
I now understand why the local plywood guy said the birch was exterior, sly bugger was huffing or talking glue.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:58 am

Ever think of using thick ”chipboard” to replace very thin plywood ? … We’ve been experimenting , and we not only find it an easy product to work with , but since it’s absorbent , it can be easily saturated with a waterproofing agent like “the Mix” … making it very Strong. Bends like crazy , easily glued ,screwed, nailed , and painted … Best of all it’s made out of the same material wood is …. cellulose … and comes in many thicknesses . I believe the density is the same or greater than wood .
Just a thought …
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:27 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:
twisted lines wrote:Thank's to you to all.
First Complete top layer will be .125 ;) and then wing it.

Could you just put another 1/8" layer over that one?

Tom

I read your build and see that is your plan, and am very strongly considering that, Question now is the bonding Technic, I am interested and moving toward it.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sparksalot » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:34 pm

I recently built a stitch and glue kayak using 3mm plywood. It's marine grade Okume, so be prepared for sticker shock. On the other hand, how much are you really using?
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Patrick Star » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:50 am

Sparksalot wrote:I recently built a stitch and glue kayak using 3mm plywood. It's marine grade Okume, so be prepared for sticker shock. On the other hand, how much are you really using?
I'm gonna have to look for something like that, double them up you know.

Lowes is getting tired of my destructive testing on their plywood

Anyway it would be 4 or 8 sheets... depending on the way I'm able to bend it.

The problem is I'm in south TX, Corpus Christi, and there are no real trees, so all the wood comes from 8 hours north.

I was looking at the 5mm poplar, revoply or whever, but want outdoor rated since 100% of my camping will be on the beach with 20-35mph wind full of sea mist, hitting the camper perpendicular

I'm using FRP for my siding to help ensure there will be no moisture creeping past my siding.

Funny you mention boat building as I've been reading the boat building forums alot, about bending plywood

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Patrick Star
Teardrop Builder

Postby swoody126 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:36 am

PS, @ just over 3 hours northeast of you is Clark's Hardwood Lumber Co. in downtown Houston

https://www.clarkshardwood.com

they are 6+ hours south of me

they offer the best prices in Texas/the southwest(cheapest prices in Ohio for large quantities due to shipping costs) on marine lumber n plywood

i get my 6mm Aquatek miranti from them for boat building when i only need a few sheets

they carry fir, okoume, Hydrotek & Aquatek marine grade plywoods in thicknesses from 3mm ^^^

https://www.clarkshardwood.com/?s=aquatek

as mentioned above be ready for sticker shock

IMHO the 3mm Okoume might offer the better bending qualities

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby pcovell74 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:42 pm

swoody126 wrote:PS, @ just over 3 hours northeast of you is Clark's Hardwood Lumber Co. in downtown Houston

https://www.clarkshardwood.com

they are 6+ hours south of me

they offer the best prices in Texas/the southwest(cheapest prices in Ohio for large quantities due to shipping costs) on marine lumber n plywood

i get my 6mm Aquatek miranti from them for boat building when i only need a few sheets

they carry fir, okoume, Hydrotek & Aquatek marine grade plywoods in thicknesses from 3mm ^^^

https://www.clarkshardwood.com/?s=aquatek

as mentioned above be ready for sticker shock

IMHO the 3mm Okoume might offer the better bending qualities

sw

Swood126
I am here in Katy,Tx and just found Clark's yesterday online looking for 4x10 Birch Plywood. I just learned that I should get some of the Marine grade plywood as well for the base. What kind of pricing did you see on your "3hr tour"? Just curious, I'm going to make a trek out next Saturday to get some ideas.
Thanks,
Preston
pcovell74
Teardrop Inspector

Postby swoody126 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:01 pm

Preston, 1-18-18 is my last note to me about their pricing

Aquatek 6mm - $43
Hydeotek 6mm - $55
hydrotek 12mm - $100

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby pcovell74 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:26 am

swoody126 wrote:Preston, 1-18-18 is my last note to me about their pricing

Aquatek 6mm - $43
Hydeotek 6mm - $55
hydrotek 12mm - $100

sw

:thumbsup:
Thanks,
Preston
pcovell74
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Patrick Star » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:58 pm

Well the corners were 1/4 inch exterior plywood. The front bent with a heat gun and water, the 6 inch radius bent after being chunked into the coy pool for like 8 hours or soImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Patrick Star
Teardrop Builder

Postby davidsleg » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:33 pm

Hey Patrick, first off your build is looking great so far. I'm a newb in this area but just purchased a trailer for a build myself and I was already planning going in the direction you are with the thin plywood. I'm still in the beginning stages with prepping and resurfacing the trailer but was wondering how you were going to coat your exterior? With an epoxy resin and finish or will you be skinning with aluminum? I was inspired by the clc teardrop and keeping a wood finish. But they use e-glass and epoxy resin. Wasn't sure if I needed the glass since mine would be framed like yours and I think they do it since theirs aren't framed but put together with a stitching method such as used in boat making. Your input would be greatly appreciated, the input of others is welcomed as well. I'll be following your build, I'm interested to see the turn out. Good luck!
D

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
davidsleg
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:19 pm

Epoxy over wood with no cloth will eventually crack. Use cloth with epoxy, they are designed to work together.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby davidsleg » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:34 pm

Ok awesome, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
davidsleg
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to General Discussion