A simple stink free toilet

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: A simple stink free toilet

Postby swoody126 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:05 am

though not a "legal" answer i have observed...

where pet waste is bagged at municipal parks incl dog parks and aong sidewalks where folks regularly walk their dogs i find signs instructing pet owners to pick up after them and dispose of the waste where there are only common waste recepticals available

Vet Clinics and pet boarding facilities dispose of their waste in common trash recepticals

OMHO(not a legal definition) POOP IS POOP

i have no problem with it being placed in trash bins/dumpsters when it is mixed/covered in a mixture of kitty litter or the sawdust/peat moss mixture and bagged just like folks do w/ their cat box waste

just my personal OPINION

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:11 pm
Location: north of Ft Worth

Re: A simple stink free toilet

Postby tony.latham » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:41 am

From time to time. we carry a bucket toilet and Reliance Double Duty bags. Which of course begs the question of what to do with the bags?

We just spent four nights as volunteers on a USFS lookout. Of course, the toilet was a traditional outhouse that was a five-minute hike. A shack with a hole in the ground. There has been one on that mountain since 1922.

They have been used for millennia because, in the right place, they work fine.

I realize that you can't dig a cat hole in a lot of places. Perhaps not until you get to the west. But I think realistically it is the most ecological way of getting rid of the elephant in the room. There is nothing wrong with digging an 8-10" hole in the sticks. It doesn't end up in a dumpster and under a year, it'll be composted into soil. Never seen and never smelled.

Image

Image

:thinking:

Tony
User avatar
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 3488
Images: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:03 pm
Location: Middle of Idaho on the edge of nowhere

Re: A simple stink free toilet

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:37 pm

tony.latham wrote:I realize that you can't dig a cat hole in a lot of places. Perhaps not until you get to the west. But I think realistically it is the most ecological way of getting rid of the elephant in the room. There is nothing wrong with digging an 8-10" hole in the sticks. It doesn't end up in a dumpster and under a year, it'll be composted into soil. Never seen and never smelled.

Image


Always been my preferred choice when camping in undeveloped areas on Forest Service land. It's the recommended solution, although around the San Juan's I noticed they want you to pack the paper out. Not my solution, and not enforced. (Realistically, how would they?) A problem, of course, is some folks don't bother with the hole or shovel.

The shovel is also handy in case one manages to get high-centered on a 4wd road.

Yep, when the time comes, just grab the roll and the shovel, go behind a tree and...go behind...a tree...

tony.latham wrote:Image

:thinking:

Tony

Say, Tony, you do have trees in Idaho, right? :lol:

Tom
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member
 
Posts: 394
Images: 351
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:27 pm
Location: New Mexico
Top

Re: A simple stink free toilet

Postby tony.latham » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:54 pm

Say, Tony, you do have trees in Idaho, right? :lol:


Just one with a rock. :shock:

Image

Tony
User avatar
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 3488
Images: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:03 pm
Location: Middle of Idaho on the edge of nowhere
Top

Re: A simple stink free toilet

Postby RJ Howell » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:14 am

KTM_Guy wrote:
JuneBug wrote:Hate to be a party pooper (!) but it's important to review the legality of how and where to dispose of human waste, especially in Forest Service/BLM/public trash containers or dumpsters.

Human pee absorbed in kitty litter, contained in plastic bags? Not so much of a problem.
Human poop? Different story.


Do you know of a specific place where this would be legal? The only time I have seen anything about garbage is for 1# propane tanks, and there would be a separate container for them.

What would be the deference between and small plastic bag of poop/paper and a full diaper? When you look at Wagg Bags they they can be thrown in the garbage can.

Todd


I've been Wag-Bagging for years. Didn't even know it was a term till a few years back. The issue at hand, as far as how to use or dispose is all about keeping liquid and solid waste separate. Separated neither is a toxin, but when mixed.. Funny how we humans are the only species on this planet that doesn't get it.. LOL
RJ Howell
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 67
Images: 31
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:08 am
Top

Re: A simple stink free toilet

Postby KTM_Guy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:50 pm

We were camping up on the Rim just out side of Payson AZ this weekend. Had a nice dispersed site with big pine trees. Behind every tree were piles of poop and TP. It was disgusting. Even saw a kitchen garbage bag that was used and left behind a tree. We had a ranger who stopped by to ask about the teardrop and we chatted awhile. I brought up about the poop and TP everywhere. He said it's been a problem and getting worse in the last few years. He said the forest service is looking into options from having mandatory so type of disposal system to just closing dispersed camping.

Cat holes are fine if you can dig a hole, where we were I could even get a peg in the ground 3" for our potty tent.
Todd
User avatar
KTM_Guy
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 477
Images: 193
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:50 am
Location: Mesa, AZ near Usery
Top

Re: A simple stink free toilet

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:50 am

KTM_Guy wrote:We were camping up on the Rim just out side of Payson AZ this weekend. Had a nice dispersed site with big pine trees. Behind every tree were piles of poop and TP. It was disgusting. Even saw a kitchen garbage bag that was used and left behind a tree. We had a ranger who stopped by to ask about the teardrop and we chatted awhile. I brought up about the poop and TP everywhere. He said it's been a problem and getting worse in the last few years. He said the forest service is looking into options from having mandatory so type of disposal system to just closing dispersed camping.

Cat holes are fine if you can dig a hole, where we were I could even get a peg in the ground 3" for our potty tent.
Todd


They closed dispersed camping around Tincup Colorado because of the mess people left. No excuse there--not too rocky, good soil for digging. Problem was just too many thoughtless and lazy "campers".

Not just poop and paper behind the trees, but also bottles in the fire pits, around the fire pits, and trash everywhere.

Tom
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member
 
Posts: 394
Images: 351
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:27 pm
Location: New Mexico
Top

Re: A simple stink free toilet

Postby pinkelephant » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:24 am

Something I learned from a boy scout troop in Massachusetts in the 80s is always leave a campsite cleaner than when you got there and police your campsite to remove any evidence that anybody was ever there when you leave. We got instructions from a World War II vet on how to take branches and scrape the ground and remove Footprints and everything. Granted we were always backpacking so we weren't around any vehicles or the lazy people leaving poop on the ground or the problem then. I'm glamping so I'm always camping with power so nobody's pooping on the ground there either. They sell the luggable loo in the major sports stores so I can't picture using them being illegal
pinkelephant
Teardrop Builder
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:26 am
Top

Re: A simple stink free toilet

Postby KTM_Guy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:26 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:
KTM_Guy wrote:We were camping up on the Rim just out side of Payson AZ this weekend. Had a nice dispersed site with big pine trees. Behind every tree were piles of poop and TP. It was disgusting. Even saw a kitchen garbage bag that was used and left behind a tree. We had a ranger who stopped by to ask about the teardrop and we chatted awhile. I brought up about the poop and TP everywhere. He said it's been a problem and getting worse in the last few years. He said the forest service is looking into options from having mandatory so type of disposal system to just closing dispersed camping.

Cat holes are fine if you can dig a hole, where we were I could even get a peg in the ground 3" for our potty tent.
Todd


They closed dispersed camping around Tincup Colorado because of the mess people left. No excuse there--not too rocky, good soil for digging. Problem was just too many thoughtless and lazy "campers".

Not just poop and paper behind the trees, but also bottles in the fire pits, around the fire pits, and trash everywhere.

Tom


We love the Tin Cup area. We always stop at Frenchy's Cafe when in the area. We have taken the ride over Tin Cup pass to St Elmo a few times, love to feed the chipmunks there. Taylor Park area seems to crowded now, side by sides running all over nonstop all night. Ugh. We had the same problem with them last week up near Payson.

Todd

Todd
User avatar
KTM_Guy
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 477
Images: 193
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:50 am
Location: Mesa, AZ near Usery
Top

Re: A simple stink free toilet

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:49 pm

Really hoping this thread goes back to finding a good solution of a stink-free toilet we could all DIY! I'm researching!
RJ Howell
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 67
Images: 31
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:08 am
Top

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Calvin_Ford, GTS225 and 5 guests