MaxxFan 4501K question

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

MaxxFan 4501K question

Postby DLFord » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:01 pm

Hi,

We picked up a teardrop (GnomeHomesInc) that is equipped with the MaxxFan 4501K w/remote and rain sensor. We are now in the early stage of getting it set up to suit our travel needs. A primary need is having our ski box on the installed roof rack to store the kiddo's items (sleeping bags, tent, pillows, etc) for travelling when they are with us. Doing a test fit shows when fully open the fan cover rises higher than the bottom of the ski box. When the fan is in automatic/remote mode the cover only has two positions, fully open or closed. My question is, can the fan cover be opened in auto mode and stop when bumping into the bottom of the ski box without negative consequence (ie: damaging the cover motor and/or drive gear)? I checked the MaxxFan site FAQ page but didn't find an answer.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dave
DLFord
Teardrop Inspector

Re: MaxxFan 4501K question

Postby noseoil » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:16 am

If you bump into a hard object when it's opening automatically, it will destroy the system. Ours hit the canopy spreader bar above our fan once & it's not the same now. It still works, but the sound is different & I'm not going to hit anything again as it sounds like it will not be working if I do that again. There doesn't seem to be any way of adjusting the travel mechanism on our fan, in automatic it's either open or closed, with nothing in between.

Not sure about the correct answer here, but if it hits a hard object & stops, you may be in "manual" crank mode from that point forward. Take it out of automatic mode if you want it to keep working & open it by hand to go just below the box or you will be fixing it at some point in the future.
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: MaxxFan 4501K question

Postby DLFord » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:35 pm

Thanks very much for the information, you've saved us time and hassle trying to sort out ski box fitment. Okay, the skinny box it is.
DLFord
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion