Report from the "Dark Side"

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Report from the "Dark Side"

Postby Dusty Mark » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:47 am

We sold our 5' x 10' home-built teardrop camper last October. We then purchased a 2020 Grand Design Imagine 17 MKE travel trailer and a 2019 Chevy Silverado 1500 double cab truck. We were only able to use the rig one time before winterizing it. I'll admit to having seller's remorse most of the winter. The teardrop camper was incredibly customized and suited us well. We camped in it about 120 nights during our four seasons of use.

With 20 nights under our belt in the travel trailer, we've personalized it and settled into a new process for camping. Our typical trip uses the camper as a base camp for other outdoor activities such as kayaking, fishing or mountain biking. Four seasons of tear dropping helped us refine this approach and made our travel trailer selection relatively easy as we knew exactly what we wanted in a new rig.

This photo shows the rig set up on an off-grid trip in May before the campgrounds were allowed to open in MN. We caught some nice sized northern pike (27", 28", 29 1/2" and 32"...our limit) while kayak fishing. We enjoyed exploring the old logging roads on our mountain bikes. Notice the Kamado Joe Junior in the foreground. I strap it behind the driver's seat and we're enjoying some awesome grilled meals while camping.

One thing I miss about teardrop camping is the awesome gas economy while towing. We've gone from 20 mpg to 9 mpg...ouch! Our trips are a little quieter now that we're not giving constant teardrop tours!
Dusty Mark
Teardrop Master

Re: Report from the "Dark Side"

Postby swoody126 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:15 am

GOOD EXPLANATION

far too many just make the giant step prior to going thru the logical learning curve

our family camped since before i can't remember when(like since dad was a toddler)

many decisions along the way were determined by financial limitations and the learning curve was an extended process

you folks have learned what you want/knead along the way and this step was made SO MUCH easier/logical

a trailer is butt another tool that makes your dreams/desires come to fruition easier/smoother

i love the "base camp" concept and have used it for some years

IT WORKS WELL

BON CHANCE

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby cmrcmk » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:00 am

C'mon, you can't tell us you switched to a fullsize without writing out the pros and cons of both approaches! What do you miss about teardropping, what are you glad you don't have to do/deal with anymore? Would you ever switch back or are you sure this is better for your family's needs & style?
cmrcmk
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dahlia47 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:13 pm

Everyone wants a tour! When we went out 2 weeks ago, I had 2 offers to buy it from me in the first 20 minutes!!! :lol:

I did tell hubby we could upgrade when we retire.....MAYBE!
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby ae6black » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:21 pm

I have both a Teardrop and a Casita which is not umongus by any stretch of the imagination. I like the outside galley in the teardrop better for cooking, but With Covid, really really like the bathroom and shower in the Casita without the hassle of setting up the shower tent as well as the shade for the kitchen. Both have their purpose. If I was younger, I'd probably still be perfectly satisfied with the Tear, but with age, certain amenities begin being more appealing.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Return to General Discussion