Painted/epoxied countertops?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Painted/epoxied countertops?

Postby Felix_Esq » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:26 pm

I see formica and tile countertops all over this website. I have a question for y'all.

I used 3/4 inch plywood for the cabinets in my galley. It seems quite robust.

I was wondering: have any of you used a coat or three of alkyd/acrylic paint, or put a layer of epoxy/polymer/polyurethane/polycrylic coatings, right on top of (stained or painted) plywood to make a work surface? The counter I would be painting or coating would be taking less of the beating, because it is not the work surface for most stuff.

You guys are a huge help. Thank you in advance for any input!

-Felix
I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that. -Lloyd Daubler

Build Gallery
Build Journal
Felix_Esq
Donating Member

Re: Painted/epoxied countertops?

Postby TimC » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:36 pm

I glued up a 3/4" panel of cedar and oiled the hell out of it to keep water from penetrating. Cedar is soft and it has a few dents over the years but it is sure nice looking. I use a bamboo cutting board and really don't abuse the countertop much. I've oiled it maybe once since installing it.

A photo just after the galley was "finished" and before she was road worthy.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:54 pm

I made a kraft paper floor using polyurethane. It's been down and walked on with shoes for about 10 years now and still looks fairly decent. As with Formica laminates, I think a hot pan could do damage to your countertop but...Go for it! Some of the older bars have had tops made like that, too. Paint might lift but those "leaves" are stained kraft paper and glued down with polyurethane, under the top coats of polyurethane, so yes, you can stain your wood. I used the Minwax polyurethane that is a water-based, oil modified mixture (gold and blue label). Easy clean-up; tough product. I'd suggest putting on 6 coats of the polyurethane and then don't sit anything on the counter for at least 7 days. I forget the timing of the layers but it says on the can. You can see the write-up somewhere around page 23 of my build thread.

S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Juneaudave » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:22 pm

My countertop is birch ply with ash trim that has been coated with poly. I use a small cutting board for food prep. 12 years and still functions well.

Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Modstock » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:12 am

I used this craft wood 3/4" (Lowes) for my counters and urethaned em.
I chose this because it was lightweight and looks great with clear on it.
Just built some front cabinets with it.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Last edited by Modstock on Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Felix_Esq » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:59 am

Your galley ideas are all so helpful! I wish I was as handy with wood as you all are.

I plan to paint my cabinets for a couple reasons.

First, I am a terrible carpenter (at least at this early stage). There are visible mistakes, scratches, and dings all over. If I sand, fill, sand, prime, sand, paint, sand, paint, and urethane, I can hide all those mistakes.

Second, I am doing this build as a neophyte and I am trying to go as light as possible on costs. Because of that, I am not using the fanciest of materials. I have been using "SandePly" which is marketed at Home Depot as a "hardwood ply" but it is not nearly as pretty as other types of plywood out there. I decided early to paint, rather than to stain/varnish them.

I went to the 'Depot yesterday looking for cabinet paint. The paint guy happened to have a gallon of alkyd paint very close to the color I was looking for, in his mistake bin for $9. That plus a small bit of urethane, and I was out the door for $15.

I will post results when I can.

-Felix
Last edited by Felix_Esq on Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that. -Lloyd Daubler

Build Gallery
Build Journal
Felix_Esq
Donating Member

Postby Felix_Esq » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:00 am

Modstock wrote:I used this craft wood 3/4" for my counters and urethaned em.
I chose this because it was lightweight and looks great with clear on it.
Just built some front cabinets with it.

I like all that grain and natural look!

-Felix

Build Gallery
Build Journal
Felix_Esq
Donating Member

Postby Modstock » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:24 am

Me too. Another reason I picked it was it was straighter than any wood there.

Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MtnDon » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:23 pm

I stained my plywood with a green stain, then clear coated it.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Felix_Esq » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:09 pm

Thought I would post my solution. It will get another sanding and a final coat of clearcoat.

Build Gallery
Build Journal
Felix_Esq
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion