Do you think this setup could lead to leaks?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Do you think this setup could lead to leaks?

Postby johnherndon » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:55 am

I'm in the early stages of planning my teardrop trailer, and this forum has been incredibly helpful. I'm considering incorporating a dedicated area for a water container in the galley. I'm thinking of placing an Aqua Tainer on its side to fit my layout, but I'm concerned about the risk of water leakage—up to 4-7 gallons from the cap or spigot—especially since the trailer will navigate rough fire roads with potential for significant jostling. Traditionally, these containers are transported upright, but that orientation doesn't work with my design's height restrictions. My solution is to mount it on a locking slide mechanism for easy access and water dispensing. Do you think this setup could lead to leaks, or is it a viable solution?
johnherndon
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Do you think this setup could lead to leaks?

Postby Pmullen503 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:40 am

It depends entirely on the container.

I know my 5 gal water jug is going to leak so it sits on a table when I get to my destination. I tip down to use and then back up.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:00 am

In my experience, maybe not at first, but sooner or late, ya they'll leak.

I use this. They are made to be on their side in laboratories. With time they also leak. We just bounce around way too much! Best description I've read is a 'mini eathquack' :shock:
I carry 4 of these and place them around the rig to displace all that weight (~8lbs a gallon). Handling 2.5 gallons at a time is easy.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-15648/Jugs/Carboy-2-1-2-Gallon?pricode=WA9237&gadtype=pla&id=S-15648&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlZixBhCoARIsAIC745BlWmR5KLqG6VuDIZH6j_WIYFPXR9ROxHPk77iFs1_t2ydfnovz7skaAsRtEALw_wcB
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:23 pm

We've used the Reliance 7-gallon jugs for years. The stock valves have a tendency to leak. I install a brass hose bib and it works great.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:20 pm

I have a very similar set up. It has leaked (always my fault-failture to close it tight enough, leaving the air vent open). My solution is to epoxy the bottom of the tray so it is not damaged by water. Been working for 15 years. Image
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:35 am

I have a container similar to those shown. Except, there is enough room under the bench to stand mine up. So that is how it travels, upright.
I lay it down when I want to use it. It should be noted that, if the road is rough enough, I still need to close the tap to stop it splashing.
I literally just tilt her up or down as required.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Return to General Discussion