Tow Vehicle?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Tow Vehicle?

Postby fliflicker » Mon May 20, 2024 9:34 am

I have a Subaru cross trek that I've been using to tow my small teardrop which weighs about 1100 lbs. It feels a little under-gunned especially when going up a long hill. Looking to buy a new vehicle that can double as an everyday driver with decent gas mileage and also as a towing vehicle for my teardrop. What are you all using out there? Any recommendations?
fliflicker
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Tow Vehicle?

Postby working on it » Mon May 20, 2024 1:07 pm

https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=54920&hilit=tow+vehicle#p998485 two dozen pages of tow vehicles, going back to 2013...I'm sure you'll find something of interest there.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon May 20, 2024 5:36 pm

I tow with a straight six Chevy Trailblazer and going over the siskuy range it can do the speed limit without downshifting.
A straight 6 has more torque.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby tony.latham » Mon May 20, 2024 8:39 pm

Tacoma.

I'm on my third and will step up to my fourth this summer.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Modstock » Tue May 21, 2024 12:58 am

halfdome, Danny wrote:I tow with a straight six Chevy Trailblazer and going over the siskuy range it can do the speed limit without downshifting.
A straight 6 has more torque.
:D Danny

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby gudmund » Wed May 22, 2024 3:33 pm

I say any mid-sized PU/SUV with a least a 3500/4000lb tow rating (Danny' & Tony's seen here are 'great' examples) I favor having a bit of 'overkill' = more than what is needed which usually equals to bigger/better brakes along with a full perimeter/box frame along with also getting more power than you will ever need. The thing to do before you buy your next tow vehicle is if you are still able to do so? - and that's take your present trailer to the weight scales and 'actually' weight it - not some "I think it weights this or that" - it can be done at a 'Cat Scales' = usually located at some truck stops ($13 last time I used them) or 'depending on your state', some states leave their scales turned on after hours for truckers usage = many a time I have used them here in Wash. & Ore. when they are not open. Have spoken with many a person who is towing a teardrop that has 'no idea' what their trailer weigh is yet says it weights a lot less than what it actually does (and yes, I know this being so many times their trailer is bigger along with them carrying more stuff yet they say it weights less than mine which has been weighed) The PU I am using has a max tow rating for up to a 7000lb trailer - my trailer comes in at just below 2000lbs loaded (empty trailer started at 1400lbs = now at 1780lbs loaded - +++ awnings,propane,roof rack etc,etc) - with everything loaded up. This puts me well below it's max tow rating which thus equals the not having to worry about the 'overtaxing' of it all like I see so many of these small car based vehicles doing when towing their teardrops. My PU has a EPA rating of 21MPG combined = which is what I am averaging everyday empty - when towing I am averaging just shy of 19MPG fully loaded. Take care and stay safe..........

PS there was a limerick left here on this website a few years back that I always liked which kind of pertains to this subject ""you can go too slow down a hill forever - but if you go too fast, it could be your last""172720
gudmund
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion