State travel rules during the Pandemic

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

State travel rules during the Pandemic

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:58 pm

The number of COVID cases in the Southwest have gone up alarmingly, and the Governor of New Mexico has pulled back on a lot of re-opening rules. She gave an interview with the Washington Post that includes some indication of how the state plans to deal with inter-state travel.

I don't mean this to become a forum for political debate on the rights or wrongs, but am simply re-posting in order to inform, particularly those who may be wanting to travel through here in the next few months:

The governor admitted that enforcing the 14-day quarantine for people traveling into the state is tough. She said people from out of state can be cited if they are pulled over or are outside without a mask.

She said the state is also asking the lodging industry to decline reservations from people who are traveling from a different state unless they can affirm they will be staying for 14 days.

When the state begins to ease restrictions again, the governor said she's looking into the possibility of forcing travelers to provide a negative COVID-19 test.

Also, this is from her health order this morning:

The public health order has also been amended to restrict out-of-state visitors at New Mexico state parks. Visitors to state parks must demonstrate proof of residency or will not be permitted entry. According to New Mexico State Parks, visitors must show one of the following to demonstrate residency: a valid New Mexico license plate, New Mexico driver’s license or ID card, New Mexico vehicle registration, federal document attesting to residency, or military identification. In order to ensure compliance with the new public health order, State Parks will further modify days and hours of operation for a handful of parks due to continued visitation from out of state residents and the additional staff time needed to enforce the public health order.

Camp sites at state parks are also closed.

Again, simply an FYI for anyone who may be contemplating travel here in the near future. I suspect neighboring states may be invoking similar rules.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Re: State travel rules during the Pandemic

Postby Modstock » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:24 pm

Just about every car I've worked on this spring/summer has had a mask or two inside.
Haven't known anyone personally that's had this.
Did have one outside family member that quarantined cause someone at his work tested positive (hotel) but he never got it.

I have a friend that took a hospital job in New Mexico cause it paid well and the local hospital got rid of most employees that weren't full time.

I guess we'll see after November.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lfhoward » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:19 pm

I guess there are places in the country where Covid isn't all that prevalent yet, but I can tell you I know people who have gotten it and several people who have died from it.

Not being political. Just saying what I know from personal experience. It's serious and it's real.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MtnDon » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:27 pm

We have a thirty-something year old female relative who has had Covid-19; spent 2 weeks in a hospital in AU and after 6 weeks she is still recovering and fatigued after little effort. This from a person who has been an avid hiker and rock climber. So yeah, some people may live thru an episode but recovery can take longer than one might expect.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby JuneBug » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:53 pm

We have a relative in my husband's extended family who has been diagnosed CV 19 -- a super healthy, ultra fit guy in his late 20s. So far he's doing OK, but suddenly lost his sense of taste and smell. Hope he'll recover without complications. However, he did manage to expose another family -- both parents and five kids who are now in quarantine.

Slow -- Wyoming has very few cases and you are extremely fortunate in that regard. I live in Texas. Houston/Harris County are on fire with coronavirus. Austin is not far behind and there are concerns that ICU beds could be at full capacity in a few weeks. Some areas have ordered in refrigerated mortuary trucks. Someone posted on facebook today that the obituary section of the main Houston paper was 43 pages long. Masks are mandated until the end of August.

I do think it is possible to travel safely by strictly limiting exposure by buying food ahead of time and stopping only to gas up at the pump. However, when I learned that NM had closed state parks to out of state folks, we decided to cancel our trip to Colorado and Telluride, where we volunteer at a mountain bike race every year at the end of July. Trying to find dispersed camping in National Forest while traveling is just too daunting.
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby troubleScottie » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:22 am

Slow:

You are fortunate enough to live a state with exceedingly few cases -- under a 1,500. Only a few deaths -- 22. The same can be said for a few other western states eg Montana, Alaska, to some extent North and South Dakota and Idaho. To a large extent, there is no COVID-19 in these states.

However, the rest of the US is quite different. Your state's numbers are not even two hours in some states eg Texas, Florida, Arizona. Many states are pushing the limits of their medical systems.

At least in Washington, every store requires a mask. Some the worst counties now are the more rural, less populated counties. Everyone has one or 2 masks in every vehicle. Bars, gyms are NOT open. You can dine in, but most people do not. There are hospital beds to be had, at least in the western, more urban counties. They are doing elective surgeries. I needed a hospital stay recently - nice to have a COVID free floor and COVID free staff.

The US has 5% mortality rate for those that have been confirmed; hospitalization are around 20%. If you are over 50, the mortality rate goes up to past 10%. Personally, those odds are pretty terrible. If you have non-mild illness, you might be looking at month or more of being sick. A vaccine is most likely at least half a year away, longer if you include time to produce 300,000,000 doses for the US alone. I am still employed and working from home (very fortunate) until there is a vaccine available. Travel is very low on the list of things to do, even if it is in only my car by myself.

I expect things to get better, but thinking at least a year from now.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:31 am

troubleScottie wrote:Slow:

The US has 5% mortality rate for those that have been confirmed;

Per confirmed, yes. 99.683% survival rate of those tested (believed systems). 99.95% survival rate to population. Even CDC has now agreed to these numbers of which they wouldn't previous due to it just not sounding like the pandemic that is being pushed.

Again, the tested and confirmed numbers (deaths especially) have been so skewed to push this agenda, it's hard now to believe any of the numbers put out. Money paid to institutions for claiming Covid Positive patients.. then more if they claim they died from it..

I get how this all started with some many unknowns. We know now. Covid is here to stay just like a thousand other viruses. Just another to deal with as the season arrives.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby saywhatthat » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:14 pm

bus1.jpg
bus1.jpg (36.85 KiB) Viewed 1595 times

what is the big deal? Only 12 have it will go away . With over 130,000 dead think of all the use cars for sale .house to buy. Selling your grandma and Mon's things ....Just think all 130,000 that are dead are just playing a joke .To make the king look bad
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
500 Club

Postby Philip » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:05 am

A lot of new cases that are listed is due to how they are counting. If one member of a family tests positive. All members of that family are counted including anyone you came in close contact with. No testing is done on the rest of the family. No testing is done on close contacts.

Now to add a side thought here. With the "new covid" tracking software that was forced on cell phone users a couple of weeks ago. Are they using that to inflate numbers?
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:19 am

Those stats are just numbers. So who cares?

Slow: if you catch it, there's a 20% chance (it's a fact) you'll end up in the hospital at about $4,000 per day. Do you have insurance? How will you pay for for a $35,000 bill?

I have a sibling with diabetes. With that and her age, it'll kill her. My dad is 95 and should make triple digits but with Covid it will kill him. My wife has asthma. With that and her age, it'll probably kill her.

Those aren't numbers –-that's this disease. Think about your family. Think about a big fat hospital bill.

Me? I'm wearing a mask because I love my wife.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Modstock » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:09 pm

Heard this through a customer who works at the hospital, said if you die of corona the hospital gets $19,000.
WTF.
Government scam ???????
You decide.

Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:00 pm

Heard this through a customer who works at the hospital, said if you die of corona the hospital gets $19,000.

Mod:

I asked my sister about this. She's the Senior Executive Assistant for the University of Utah Hospital.

Here's what she said, "I've never heard of that."

What does your friend do? :thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:07 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Me? I'm wearing a mask because I love my wife.

Tony

:thumbsup: Me/we too. Plus we care about others in our family and their friends, as well as all the other folks we may interact with when I go to pickup groceries or whatever, even complete strangers.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby MtnDon » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:21 pm

Modstock wrote:Heard this through a customer who works at the hospital, said if you die of corona the hospital gets $19,000.
WTF.
Government scam ???????
You decide.

I suggest you read this.... https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/hospi ... ath-count/ and then you decide. To me if someone does have covid-19 they will likely need some expensive care especially if they need to be placed on a ventilator. Just becuase it is possible that someone could scam the system does not mean they will.

MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby MtnDon » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:22 pm

deleted.... the post above somehow got recorded twice.

MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion