Small Photo Essay of the Escape Hatch/Winter Warrior

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby tonyj » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:14 am

mikeschn wrote:
Mary K wrote:Mike that Rocks!!! I'm impressed!! :applause:

Soooooo, how many TD's have you built?

Mk

Thanks Mary...

Lets see... the little black one... the big white one... the one Frank finished... the one Steve started... do you want me to count the ones I bought too, like the popup and the T@B? How about mockups? How about in process builds like the Ultralight and the Widget/Midget/Tidget? Do computer models count? I don't know, I lost count... :lol:

Mike...

I figured out how you have the time to do all those builds . . . you're not a measure twice and cut once kind of guy 'cause that doubles the measuring time. You just get it right on the first try.

The build looks great, as usual! :applause:
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:34 am

Looks great Mike. As much as I like mine I think I'll go simple like yours next time.

Another suggestion for a option would be to put a small window in the front and another in the bottom side of the door than you can see through the trailler to see if you have someone trying to knock on your back door while going down the highway.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby AmyH » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:32 am

That looks incredible Mike! :applause: You never cease to amaze me with all of the trailers you have built!
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:40 am

RAYVILLIAN wrote:Another suggestion for a option would be to put a small window in the front and another in the bottom side of the door than you can see through the trailler to see if you have someone trying to knock on your back door while going down the highway.

Gary

That could be a modification I could do later... is that the way you have yours set up?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:00 pm

Yep Thoe door a scrounged already had the window in it so I put a small slider on the front at the right height to see through the shell on my truck and straight through the trailer. Works great in city traffic.

That's also the window that I duct the AC in when I use it. AC sits on the tongue with a duct to the window.

Gary
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:49 pm

BTW, I forgot to mention that we took the WW/EH to the scales on Saturday. It came in right at 800 pounds. :woohoo:

That gives us 400 pounds of flexibility to store our beer and wine...

I have not checked the tongue weight yet, maybe tonight?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:55 pm

Darn now I'm really jealous. and that's with the AC on top. I could pull that with the car and get another 10 miles per gallon. I'm gona have to build another for sure now.
Gary
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:20 pm

BTW, if anyone is interested, Gary and I will be at the campground in Springfield, MO this weekend. We'll both have our Winter Warriors with us, so this could be a good opportunity to see them.

And if you want to camp there this weekend, make a reservation, and ask to be near the Schneider teardrop. We'll be there Friday and Saturday night... That's Sept 1st and 2nd, 2006.

Although it's fair to warn you in advance, that Chell and I have to visit family in the area, and we'll probably only be at the campground in the evenings. Gary and Trudy, on the other hand should be there most of the time.

ImageImage

Let us know if you plan on visiting.

Here's the link to the campground
http://www.koa.com/where/mo/25137/

There's also a Walmart if the campground is filled up. The address I have for Walmart is 3520 W. Sunshine St, Springfield, MO, 65807

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby sdtripper2 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:29 pm

Mike:

I really like yur~build of da Hatch!

Like the weight of 800 Lbs.

Tongue weight will be of interest when you get it?

IC ... that you may have to mount the little refrig
different or move it when you de~hatch da Hatch eh?

Of note is the orange cable coming out of the power
strip going in the ribs of the Hatch to the AC on top?

About your venting for the battery. Are the holes
screened in so little critters and ants cant get inside
to do their worst?

Would be of interest to know the model numbers of
your electrical components as it looks like it is a very
simple (KISS) setup yet thorough?

I really appreciate your build. See there is lots of room.
Might put in some cloths hooks or some sort of storage
at the foot of the bed up towards the ceiling and down
about shirt length on the side opposite the TV. with a
hinge cover of sorts so not to see cloths but out of the way.

Thank You for sharing your pics with us.
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby Laredo » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:21 pm

Mike, I have several observations.

1. You've perfected the Weekender with this build.

2. Grandson???????

3. I like the space for Pepper. Evidently Pepper appreciates not having to stay home by himself. Nice doggie bed, too. I can see a routered cover / stand combo for a doggie dish to keep water available if Pepper's inside and you're outside.

Sans Pepper, would that space accommodate, um, a Thetford cassette toilet?

Because if it would I think you've created something really wonderful -- a habitat.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:52 pm

Laredo wrote:Mike, I have several observations.

1. You've perfected the Weekender with this build.

Thanks... not quite perfect yet, depending on your tow vehicle.

Laredo wrote:2. Grandson???????

Yep, and more coming all the time...
Laredo wrote:3. I like the space for Pepper. Evidently Pepper appreciates not having to stay home by himself. Nice doggie bed, too. I can see a routered cover / stand combo for a doggie dish to keep water available if Pepper's inside and you're outside.

Pepper thinks it's his home away from home...

Laredo wrote:Sans Pepper, would that space accommodate, um, a Thetford cassette toilet?

I don't have any cassette toilet, but that space is plenty large, I'll bet it would fit.
Laredo wrote:Because if it would I think you've created something really wonderful -- a habitat.
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby rubyede » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:56 pm

This is too awesome. Thank you for sharing. The pictures are great. :applause: :applause: ED & Ruby
rubyede
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:13 pm

Thanks Ed and Ruby,

Are you going to build one too? Are you waiting for my optimized design, or are you going to build it just like I did?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby edevans » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:20 pm

Mike, We would like to build one for our son and his family. We can not start just yet so it will be nice to watch what you do with yours and then decide. You already have so many of the features he could use. He is 33 and has early onset Parkinson's. They have 3 children but 2 can sleep in the Suburban that would be the tow vehicle. Ed & Ruby
edevans
The 300 Club

Postby HumbleHut » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:49 am

Thanks for your work Mike. You're truly a pioneer of the modern teardrop era. Thank you for deveoping ideas,going first, sharing things that worked, and most importantly, sharing things that didn't! having just oved to a new city/state, I don't have many friends to go bum help from, I found this forum just in time! Thank you all for being my neighbors - even 1500 miles away!
HumbleHut
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion