Selecting Camping Stoves - What to look for?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby dwgriff1 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:48 am

I'm the odd guy here.

In interest of minimalizing the gear, I use a one burner Coleman camp stove, and an ancient Optimus when I need a 2nd burner. I do the cooking when we camp.

Don't mind liquid fuel (also have a single mantel gasoline lantern), and liquid fuel is available almost any where. Lately I have found cheaper brands than Coleman's BTW.

Might go propane, but the burners I've seen are enemic, and the proper solution (20# tank and all) is pretty bulky.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby cracker39 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:55 am

I'm using an old 3-burner propane camp stove. It's probably made by Coleman, but was sold by Sears under their name. It's the type with the lid and "wings" that fold out to the sides. I used to have an adapter hose that connected from the stove to a 12 lb or 20 lb tank, but in my moves, it sorta got lost or stolen. I first used the type of stove with the pump-up fuel tank, but finally replaced the tank with an adapter that allowed propane use. That was before I got the stove I have now. If I were to replace this stove, I'd probably get the one that HF sells with the little oven/grill in the center.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby sid » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:43 am

I prefer the Century brand stoves over the Coleman. We bought a Coleman for our last teardrop and the big knobs in the front kept falling off. The most aggravating thing about it was that darn metal pipe hook-up from the stove to the propane bottle. There was no practical way to use it in the galley. We sold it with the teardrop.

The Century stove comes with a rubber hose and secure knobs. ;)
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:05 pm

sid wrote:The Century stove comes with a rubber hose and secure knobs. ;)

That's one thing about the old stoves. Mine, and I'm sure it was made by Coleman for Sears, has a hose that connects between the stove and the propane bottle. I just repainted my stove, and I had to use pliars to get the knobs off. Nothing seems to be made as good as it used to.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby parivercat » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:20 pm

Not sure what your wanting out of your cook stove but as for me.I use the :campfire: for now but in my next teardrop I will be getting an Outback Stove Thanks to Chris posting his pics.I just love it. Already told the wife thats what I want in the next TD. And since I do most of the cooking she said OK
2006 13ft. Escape Travel Trailer
2006 8ft. Homebuilt Teardrop
BIYALL and Happy Camping
parivercat
Teardrop Master

Postby BILLYL » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:11 pm

I would suggest that you see if you can use a bulk propane tank - 20# or so. I found this past weekend with temp approaching 0C - that the small tanks really did not perform well at all. They basically froze up - and the bulk tank did not.

So consider your climate -

Bill
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll
gonna murder you in your sleep...." Frank Zappa
BILLYL
Donating Member

Postby dmb90260 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:01 pm

I made a couple attempts to burn down my Teardrop :o :o

I generally used a 20# propane bottle with a distribution tree connected to my stove, lantern and occasionally a gas BBQ. After the second fire I determined both were due to a bad hose connector. After switching to all Coleman hoses, no more fires.... but I do carry two fire extinguishers and moved my stove to a table top and no longer the galley.

The biggest problem I have is keeping the fire low enough for a simmer. The controls on both the Coleman and Century do not seem to be able to do that.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

stove selection

Postby CPASPARKS » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:09 pm

Heikki...
It seems that I have accumulated quite a few stoves of different brands and styles throught the years.

I most recently bought the Coleman Fold n' Go...which was the best of all of my stoves that I own.

However, the convenience of having a single burner stove that screws on top of a 1lb canister is sure hard to beat.

I even opted to fry my egges on the single burner stove after I have bought the Fold n' Go.

I love all kinds of gadgets and stuff...but I guess I always revert back to the minimalist and primitive way of camping.
Kevin
CPASPARKS
The 300 Club

Postby riverfront » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:59 pm

My experience has been the liquid fuel has a better and hotter flame then the bottle LP. Lasts longer too.

I have a 30 year old Colman two burner that I converted to LP, but even with the 20lb'er I went back to the liquid for a hotter flame. The small 1 lb'er are worthless for this use!

Buy the best and you can't go wrong!
Bruce
riverfront
Teardrop Master

Postby kurtibm » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:39 pm

I use one of these (although I have 2)
They are Sievert brand, propane, refillable and were made in Sweden in the late 50's early 60's, so you may find one at a yard sale or the like.
(I like being able to have the stove wherever I'm sitting, and not be tied to the trailer in order to cook things - in winter (our version, anyway) I get the coffee ready to go on the stove and in the morning, just reach out & light the stove from inside the trailer and then get up when the coffee's ready)

Open/ready to cook Image

Bundled for transport (different stove) > Image

If you'd prefer non-vintage, and would like the option to BBQ your food, I'd at least consider the Thermos "Grill-2-Go". http://www.grill2go.com/

Kurt
Last edited by kurtibm on Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
It is not the years in your life that matter, it's the life in your years.
kurtibm
Donating Member

Postby Classic Finn » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:59 pm

Thank You All for your information.. :applause: :thumbsup:

Kurt Ive seen the Ol Swedish ones around here once in awhile them are classic ...

I like the looks of the second choice you show.. :thumbsup: It does remind me of the Baby Q Grill by Weber though..

Best wishes from all of us here in Finland..

PS I,ll have a good reason to take a trip over to our neighboring country of Sveeden ja Shuuure... ;)

Classic Finn :thumbsup:
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Re: stove selection

Postby Classic Finn » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:11 pm

CPASPARKS wrote:Heikki...
It seems that I have accumulated quite a few stoves of different brands and styles throught the years.

I most recently bought the Coleman Fold n' Go...which was the best of all of my stoves that I own.

However, the convenience of having a single burner stove that screws on top of a 1lb canister is sure hard to beat.

I even opted to fry my egges on the single burner stove after I have bought the Fold n' Go.

I love all kinds of gadgets and stuff...but I guess I always revert back to the minimalist and primitive way of camping.

Kevin now that Fold N Go is real lightweight... Compact too.. :thumbsup:

Heikki
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Previous

Return to General Discussion