Need quick answers on gluing Baltic Birch to foam.

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Need quick answers on gluing Baltic Birch to foam.

Postby printer » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:53 am

Got to have this ready to roll in about three months. Might have it decked out in nine. Kind of figured the picture would illicit some response. Just wait until I have the top on. The kitchen picture did not do it justice, even trying to get the frames out and into the living room took some finessing, for a time I thought I would have to take it back out the garage and in through the front door. I am cutting the foam now since I can just lay the frame on the sheet and draw out the size. Then glue on the outer skin and then the foam, then inner skin. Then mock up the front and roof.
printer
Teardrop Master

Postby printer » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:47 am

For your amusement. I have more iron in the form of motors that I could have used as weights but it is a little cold to go running to the shed. And yes I was responsible and put poly down.

printer
Teardrop Master

Postby printer » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:24 am

I had an unsettling thought. I glued on one sheet of plywood, I decided to change the arrangement of the sheets. I had my frame where I was going to have a full sheet in the front, back and a filler section in the middle, it works out with my framing. But I thought I would not get a perfect straight edge to butt up against the other two sheets and that it might be better to do two whole sheets and a filler in the back. It would require me to put another couple pieces of wood in the sides where the sheets butt up but that is not a big hardship. Then it got me thinking, it is really dry in my house at the moment, 16% RH, I need to install a humidifier today.

So the dilemma is what happens to the sheets when I get into humid conditions? Will the plywood want to expand and bow out? I make acoustic guitars and have seen how wood moves. But that is single sheets of wood and not plywood that has the core at right angles to the outer sheets. Also both outside layers will be sealed with a finish, slows down the process but does not stop it. Am I overthinking things or do I foresee a problem?
printer
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:54 pm

Plywood doesn’t move like “real”
wood. You’ll be fine.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby printer » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:00 pm

So I am having size anxiety. Thinking about hauling this thing to Texas with my little four cylinder. More concerned with expected speeds on the highways, talk about 75-80 mph being the norm. I was planning on the trailer being 5' wide for the added room if I ever talk some dumb blond to join me. Maybe I should be making this 4' wide, plenty for myself. If I need more room I can rebuild it.
printer
Teardrop Master

Postby TerryB89 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:05 pm

"Make sure you apply a sealant around the bolt threads and the hole in your floor.
Don't want your floor to rot out."
would paint on the underside be enough or something in the hole?
TerryB89
Teardrop Builder

Postby printer » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:42 pm

I would put something in the hole. I do not like anywhere the plies of the wood is exposed to be, well, exposed. I am sticking foam underneath and spray foaming around the edges (I think) and it should keep the moisture mostly out. And at my age, the trailer will probably outlive me. But I like building stuff to last. Even painting the holes with the paint that I used on the bottom of the floor will probably be enough for the next guy that gets the trailer.
printer
Teardrop Master

Postby printer » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:53 pm

See, now you can tell the wife/girlfriend, "It could be worse." Took a trim router and trimmed off the front, top and back edges. The box fan and pleted filter in front of it was just to make me feel good, not sure it made much good.

printer
Teardrop Master

Postby printer » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:19 pm

There was some irregularities in the frame that I used a belt sander to sand the different pieces flush with each other. But when gluing in the foam I end up with some places where the foam is proud of the wood. I need to get them flush with the wood. Either the foam comes down or I build up the wood and surface flush with the foam.

printer
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:32 pm

printer wrote:There was some irregularities in the frame that I used a belt sander to sand the different pieces flush with each other. But when gluing in the foam I end up with some places where the foam is proud of the wood. I need to get them flush with the wood. Either the foam comes down or I build up the wood and surface flush with the foam.

I take it down with a random orbital and 80 grit paper. It’s a quick fix.

A Surform would probably work.

T

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby printer » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:57 am

Not quite enough difference for a Surform. Sander is kind if messy. Just became real cold outside can't toss it on the deck. A hotwire cutter would really stink up the house. Why am I building this right now?
printer
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:30 am

Why am I building this right now?

'Cause camping season is right around that corner you can see way off in the distance. :frightened: :FNP

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby DaddyJeep » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:08 pm

printer wrote:Not quite enough difference for a Surform. Sander is kind if messy. Just became real cold outside can't toss it on the deck. A hotwire cutter would really stink up the house. Why am I building this right now?

Quit being a sissy. Put your coat on, take that thing outside, and get it done. :cry: :lol:
My big hybrid toy hauler with lots of curves build viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69618

DaddyJeep
Teardrop Master

Postby printer » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:47 am

DaddyJeep wrote:
printer wrote:Not quite enough difference for a Surform. Sander is kind if messy. Just became real cold outside can't toss it on the deck. A hotwire cutter would really stink up the house. Why am I building this right now?

Quit being a sissy. Put your coat on, take that thing outside, and get it done. :cry: :lol:

:frightened: But it is -10 F out!
printer
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:30 am

But it is -10 F out!

When I was your age, that was a nice 4th of July day.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion