Structural teaser...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:18 am

I enjoy thinking outside the box. We come up with some pretty cool stuff here. Coming up with different designs and different packaging is fun and doesn't require a phD in mathematics. We can all do it!

I don't want to poo poo any interesting trailer ideas either. There at least a couple of you working on unique trailers that push the envelope of what can be done. But I don't have an engineering degree in structural dynamics, so unless a professional engineer comes along and certifies it for me, I just don't know.

If you are building your first teardrop, I'd like to see you stay on a proven path, for obvious reasons!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Chip » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:31 am

Agree on the engineering design criteria,,,ok,,lets let Jim play but in a caravan, until he has proven his-self we be in front,, that is just in case the stuff happens,,,,happens,,,Hang in there Jim,,,,post pics,,,and the offer still stands ,,
Frank and I will come help any time ya want us to,,

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Arne » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:10 am

Torsion Question: What supplies resistance? On the VW bug, it was a twisted rod......

Can torsion suspension be adjusted, or are they locked in at the assembly time....? And do you order a preset angle and are stuck with it.?
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby D. Tillery » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:03 am

Arne, Check out the Dexter Torsion Axle website. It has a good explanation and diagrams.
As far as Mike's simple frame goes: I would not trust my entire trailer to that one weld. I could see one sharp bump and twist causing that weld to shatter at the undercut and fail. Then you have the tongue on your hitch and your trailer in the ditch. If you are trying that design on your maiden voyage best remove the license plate, and drive fast enough so when it breaks apart, it is in so many pieces that DPS can not identify it as yours! And just keep on driving. I'm kidding of course, that's just what my father used to say about a boat of his that always broke down. Best to be safe from the start with a quality frame. D. Tilelry
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby BufordT » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:52 pm

We have been down this path before. It's all in someone's opion.

I rechecked the plans for the honey moon tear drop and the frame is made out of 2x4's.

I rechecked the Midget trailer and the fram is made out of 2x4's and 3/4" t&g flooring.

These heavy duty steel constructed frames are not necessary unless you are going rock crawling with a trailer behind your tow.

The tiny tears frame is in the album section and there was a discussion on this a few months back. It's made out of plywood.

Bufordt:

P.S. Jim I'll follow you when you are ready to go.
:twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Jiminsav » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:40 pm

I'm sorry if i started a civil disruption..*s*..I was only kidding Mike about the turncoat thing.
I am not an engineer per say, But, I repaired helicopters for 12 years, including working on the CH-54 skycrane, which, if you look closely, is nothing but a flying box frame with stuff hung on it, soooooooo..I personally feel comfortable with building my frame out of wood, because i know what stresses are placed on a frame and what it takes to counter-act those forces...
If anyone else out there is thinking of making a wooden frame, I'd advise them to be damn sure they know what they are doing and don't cut any corners in the design and building of it...and i'll tell ya what, if you used less wood then i did for my 5x10 trailer, your walking a disappering line.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby D. Tillery » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:26 am

The differing opinions and "civil disruptions" help make this group fun and informative. If all we did was blow sunshine up each other's rears we would learn much less.
Please don't misunderstand me about Mike's design above. My issue was with that one weld between the tongue and axle. Add a couple of gussets, or better yet a couple of pieces of tubing as short as a foot to support that joint and I would be comfortable towing it. The main flex issue I could see is if you had too much forward trailer weight and too weak a tongue. You would get vertical flex between the hitch and axle over bumps. I really do not see a significant twisting issue with a solid axle if welded like I mentioned above. Now let me have it! D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:34 am

Gussetts is a good idea! So is a short piece of tubing.

To eliminate any vertical flex in the tongue you can use a 2x3 tubing instead of 2x2.

Just blowing sunshine at the moment!!! :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:49 pm

That's one nice thing about having liability insurance. It let's you take calculated risks and covers your butt if something goes wrong. Case in point: The wonderful State of California required me to have 2 million dollars worth of auto liability insurance, when I replaced some glass at a local State College. (Humboldt State University) They made me have it, just in case a piece of glass fell off of my truck and caused damage or injury, while driving on the campus property. After I finished that contract, I decided to keep those amounts of insurance, "Just In Case."
Rule #1. When glass falls off of your truck, turn up the radio. :D

Postby D. Tillery » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:15 pm

Yep, My dad and I had a lot of laughs talking about "forgetting" to strap that darn boat down and driving like a bat out of hell. Just let DPS clean it up with a wisk broom. I hope the old joke about boats being holes in the water that you throw all your money into does not apply to teardrops. But I have a sneaking suspission it does. D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:21 pm

Teardrops are not typically money pits, unless you want them to be.

They can be affordable as Chip will attest to...

They can even be affordable if you sell your experiments, and just keep the final one!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:05 pm

mmm-hm, so there is a method to your madness.

Previous

Return to General Discussion