It's time for a new Generic Standy Design...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby navigator » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:24 pm

Here's a design with a front similar to the top: it lifts up and incorporates side walls. This should take care of leakage concerns everywhere but at the top hinge, which should be solvable.

The front lifts up, and yes the sides swing below floorl evel, but that's OK. When lifted (and held up by struts), the floor drops down, then the front wall drops into place, and the futon is unfolded. Presto!

No details worked out, it's just a "YAFT" (Yet Another Folding Trailer) concept sketch...

navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby starleen2 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:25 am

TThat seems to solve the hatch on the front problem to have it foldout instead of a slide out :thinking:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby starleen2 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:30 am

navigator wrote: This should take care of leakage concerns everywhere but at the top hinge, which should be solvable.

What I'm thinking about for the top hinge leakage prob is to incorporate a small plastic channel unerneath the hinge gap area to catch any water that may make it past the the hurricane hinge and seal and drain it to the sides -
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:45 pm

navigator wrote:
For a longer version, see the LBWW (it has a round front).

The LadyBug WW is the same thing as the Optimized Winter Warrior. I gave Starleen2 the plans. Of course he probably tweaked it. Most people do.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby navigator » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:05 pm

A little different take on the concept...

This one has walls just over 4' high (including lift-top; main body wall are less), the body is still at 9' long. The top lifts as in the WW, the front lifts the same way, then the wall/floor for the bed area flips down. You now have 4' between the bed and the back wall, and 6'4" standing room. The bed (above mattress) has about 32" clearance at the apex of the curve, 41" at the hinge. The front lift-up is shaped to drain when open, which is the major limiting factor on the tear-drop profile.

Nothing can go on the tongue, and of course no rear galley, but the closed height should be below most trucks, and the open height is quite comfortable. Again, the bed is lengthwise; more room could be gained by turning it sideways.

edit --- I see after posting that the top profile is a bit different than the other two, but you get the idea...
navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby starleen2 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:36 am

starleen2 wrote:
navigator wrote: This should take care of leakage concerns everywhere but at the top hinge, which should be solvable.

What I'm thinking about for the top hinge leakage prob is to incorporate a small plastic channel unerneath the hinge gap area to catch any water that may make it past the the hurricane hinge and seal and drain it to the sides -

Here’s a detail view of the channel to divert any leakage from the hinge joint. The channel would be visible from the inside, but rabbeted into the spar to keep it from being too obtrusive. The ends would be sealed and a drainage tube on both ends would lead to exterior down through the wall cavity and through the floor

starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby navigator » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:03 am

That looks like it would work. Trying to figure out a double hinge, so both sections use one...

The latest incarnation has gone angular:

navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby RogHodge » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:16 pm

After attempting to read this thread (things got blurry after a dozen pages or so) I can’t find why things became so complex- when I think generic I also think simple. The multi-folding-beast of complexity is not very inviting or approachable, well to me anyway.
Maybe it’s just me. Is this design something the average schmo can build?
For those who would like to have a look I have a build journal and covet your feedback.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33547
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:29 am

Rog, being an average schmo, and living in the South on the coast, we get a lot of Rain and tend to stay away from those hinged top things... no matter how we try water always gets in somehow... :o Probably not a problem in SoCal..
Actually we've been considering a tiny Standy for those weekend trips where facilities would be available... 2 person max .. just a bed , Igloo and TV/radio for the news/weather...easy to tow , light,and cheaper,befitting the current economy.. No frills , just basic accommodations... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KDOG » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:42 pm

Well I've been out for a looooong time. I recently bought a "big" camper a few months ago, but I'm definetly still interested in a smaller TT like the Standy....
FAILURE TO PLAN ON YOUR PART DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART.
KDOG
Teardrop Master

Postby KDOG » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:05 pm

Wow, this thread has gone quiet. Any updates?
FAILURE TO PLAN ON YOUR PART DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART.
KDOG
Teardrop Master

Postby Jiminsav » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:48 pm

nope...the economy is tanked and Mike can't afford wood anymore.. :lol:
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:28 am

Yes, we might be living in these TTTs soon .. :o They take on a whole new meaning...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:21 pm

Jiminsav wrote:nope...the economy is tanked and Mike can't afford wood anymore.. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, we have hunkered down, waiting for the storm to pass. And I hope it passes soon. If it drags on for another three years, like I think it will, there are going to be a lot more layoffs in Detroit.

But at the same time, I have learned a new cad program, and am considering playing around with my next design in that CAD program.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:15 pm

mikeschn wrote:
Actually, we have hunkered down, waiting for the storm to pass. And I hope it passes soon. If it drags on for another three years, like I think it will, there are going to be a lot more layoffs in Detroit.

Mike...

Mike, we're praying for you and all our brothers and sisters in Detroit. It IS gonna be ugly, and I pray that you and yours ride it out well, as well as all our Teardrop Community!

God Bless!
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion