"Houston... The Pizza Has Landed!"

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

"Houston... The Pizza Has Landed!"

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:26 pm

Made some changes to my baking set up on Kai's little Flamineta... and voila!!!

This is a 13" x 9 1/2" pizza and my kid is saying, "Hurry up and take the picture Dad, this thing is heavy!"

Half Cardiac Arrest and Half BLT

Kai, This thing is going to be a hoot out camping!

Mucho Gratious, Amigo!!

Postby Nick Taylor » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:53 pm

Dean, does that stove just run on regular propane bottles?

I've been thinking about going to Tijuana to buy one.

Nick.
Nick Taylor
The 300 Club

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:48 am

Nick,
I've got it hooked up to a 5 lb. bottle. Been "playing" with it for two days and no noticable consumption of propane. I'm going to need to get a fixed flow rate regulator. I'm using one off of my crab cooker, that has an Off & On valve on the regulator. I'm running it at less than half open. (Way too much flow rate on Full On) I haven't tried the small disposable bottles, but the lower flow rate that I'm after kinda tells me that those would work O.K. The stove came with an ordinary 3/8" nipple on the inlet. Kai is using a fixed flow rate regulator from a BBQ on his setup.
If your talking about those small disposable type of bottles... If they will run a propane BBQ, they would run this stove and oven.(IMHO)

Isn't that a five lb. bottle on the front of your tear in your signature picture?

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:21 am

This little unit is going to really enhance the menu when camping. I've done baking in a DO, but this has way better capacity than my medium sized DO.
Piping hot cinnamon rolls with melted glazed icing sound good with that morning coffee? I did cinnamon rolls for my kids once in the DO, baking one at a time. I had to schedule their separate eating times. Not any more!
Hot fresh baked bread to go with those camp style beans?
Hey, I can even do the kids birthaday parties out camping now, just bake the birthday cake right there in the campground.
As for the pizza, chucking the pizza stone was the best thing that I could have done. (Thanks capsu78!)
Special event pizzas could be shaped like a teardrop trailer profile!

(OK... Getting a little carried away here. I'll ZTL now)
I've got a few more pictures of what I tried and what I did to get it right, if anyone is intrested.
Thanks to bg also for the image uploader

Postby mexican tear » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:46 am

Dean
The pizza looks great.

I like the idea of the thermometer on the side.

I have an adapter to use the new BBQ regulator with the small bottles. That way I can be ready for outofgas and use the lantern fuel tanks. Pics to come when I go to the shed. I hope I can get my wife to make all of the goodies that you mentioned. it all sounds great.

Nick
A trip to Tijuana should be in order. These stoves are just made for a TD. From where you are, a trip would cost less than the shipping from Texas. If you can not find the stove in Walmart, Electra or some store like that, check out some of the hardware stores. That is where I got Dean's and James'.

If you make the trip, bring an extra. I know someone will want a stove too.

kai
"Essie" and the Mexican Tear
mexican tear
Donating Member

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:54 am

Kai,
The thermometer in the side at the top worked out very well.
This is a shot of my original setup for pizza. The thermometer, clipped under the rack and cut down pizza stone, (15 1/2" x 10 1/2") cracked on the first preheat. (The cracks in the glass are visible at the topside of the thermometer)
The pizza stone trapped too much heat underneath it, not allowing enough heat to go above the stone.

Here are the veiws of the new thermometer. I drilled an 1/8" hole through both wall surfaces about 3/8" below the ceiling of the oven's interior. I cut off the excess material not needed on the clip that came with the new thermometer and clipped it into place.
I did some heat tests with the thermometer in this location and these were my findings:
1. The original thermometer cracked after about 5 minutes of pre heating the oven, it read 550F.
2. With the pizza stone still in the oven, the new thermometer registered only 400F, after 10 minutes of preheating the oven.
3. I removed the pizza stone and preheated the oven with just the rack. It took 3 minutes to get to 450F.
4. With the new 13 1/2" x 9 1/2" x 1" non stick black metal baking pan, it took 3 minutes and 45 seconds to get to 450F.

I baked the second pizza with this new setup at 450F for about 20 minutes.

Postby Nick Taylor » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:01 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Isn't that a five lb. bottle on the front of your tear in your signature picture?

Yes, it is a 5lb tank but I'm looking for a more correct small horizontal one. Also if I got one of these ovens it wouldn't be installed into my tear as I still have my original stove. I would just tote it along and set it up on my camp kitchen table.

Nick.
Nick Taylor
The 300 Club

Postby DANL » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:13 pm

Whew! Thank goodness I had a pizza last night or I would have been chewing on my monitor screen. That pizza looks fabulous.

You are gonna have a ball with that oven in the campsite and I'll bet you'll meet more than one envious tenter.

BTW please only post pictures of baked goods AFTER I've had my dinner or you'll ruin my diet. Cool oven!
The tiny trailer in the avatar is designed to carry our recumbents and sometimes sleep in. We LOVE having a kitchen in the woods and a place for most of our gear.
Dan Jones http://sunsetlanding.com/teardrop/teardrop_intro.html
DANL
Donating Member

Postby mexican tear » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:04 pm

I have added the photos of the adapter here
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kailois/a ... /my_photos

kai
"Essie" and the Mexican Tear
mexican tear
Donating Member

Postby catrinka » Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:42 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Piping hot cinnamon rolls with melted glazed icing sound good with that morning coffee?

I'll make the coffee if you make the cinnamon rolls.
catrinka
500 Club

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:18 pm

catrinka wrote:I'll make the coffee if you make the cinnamon rolls.

Pro Noblem! :D

Postby JamesW » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:41 pm

Dean,

I am jealous!! I do not have a propane bottle yet. My home grill runs off natural gas. I guess I will have to connect it to a little bottle for now. Since I received the stove I am now in the design phase for the galley. I love the idea of the thermometer! Keep the pictures coming. I guess you and I can use regular recipes when we go camping!
JamesW
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:02 am

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:11 am

Man... I'm starting to get a craving for something sweet and a big glass of milk!

Postby AmyH » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:38 pm

I want one of these ovens, they look wonderful!!! But I don't live anywhere near Mexico, I live up in Washington State. I tried searching online for these beauties, but only found places in Eastern Canada that carry them. Dean or Kai, do you guys know of any place where I could order one from? Also, what are the dimensions of the oven, I can't seem to find that information anywhere.

Thanks guys, Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion