air conditioning has any one tried this/

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby rmcelroy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:55 am

Amy, I have a 2000btu version of the petcool. I plan on stowing mine and placing it on the ground outside when I camp. That way I can leave it at home when its not needed. This is kindw wordy, I'll post pics in my album soon, but my duct scheme goes like this.

Attach a piece of "veranda" board on the front of the a/c unit with two holes cut for the vents. I used construction calk to attach it-all of this is waterproof.

Go to Woodcraft either locally or .com and get 2 1/2 inch dust collection fittings and hose.

Attach two fittings to the veranda material. Hoses need to have hose ends installed-they will then slip onto the front of the petcool.

Inside the cabin place two plastic blank electrical boxes that have been drilled front and back with a 2 1/2 hole saw, inside the box needs to have another collector fitting.

Cut 2 1/2 holes in the wall and mount boxes over those holes. Cover the outside of the wall holes with two 50amp electrical covers (waterproof) They have to be bored slightly with the 2 1/2 in hole saw, a drill press comes in handy here.

Then you can simply plug everything in when you get there and everything stays dry. Its all worked in testing so far. A real setup and camp test is yet to come.

MC
Wheather you think you can or you think you can't, your right.

Henry Ford
rmcelroy
Teardrop Master

Postby AmyH » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:27 am

MC, that sounds like a pretty nice set-up idea, I'm looking forward to seeing the photos of it. What is the veranda board for? I am a little confused on that part of your set-up.

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby rmcelroy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:42 am

The two ducts on the front of the petcool don't fit the dust collection hardware. I placed the veranda wood in position to allow the attachment of the collection fittings-just drilled holes in them and screwed them to the front of the unit via the veranda.

Pics will help, I'll let you know when I post them.

Mc

Henry Ford
rmcelroy
Teardrop Master

Postby robfisher » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:20 pm

I have a Kenskill and use the Petcool. We lived in our tear last summer for six weeks and it was sure nice to crawl into that cool cave. The cost was high but the benifits are many.
robfisher
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rmcelroy » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:12 am

AmyH, I have finally posted pics of my Petcool duct system. Mine looks a little bizzare because I wanted the vents high and out of the way.

Mc

Henry Ford
rmcelroy
Teardrop Master

Postby AmyH » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:34 am

Mc, I really like that set-up, it looks nice and clean. :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing the pics,

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby rmcelroy » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:37 pm

Amy I hope you can use at least some of the system. Its a little busy to build but so far using it seems pretty simple. Good luck with the direction you decide to take.

Mc

Henry Ford
rmcelroy
Teardrop Master

Postby Nytewyng » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:53 pm

This would be my dream AC , the size ia amazing ( so is the price) :cry:
I tried to conact a salesman and told him that "hundreds " of Tearfolks would be knocking at his door if would make the price "reasonable" , I tried to make him see that selling a few hundre of thse is better than a few , but to no avail........nice dream though.........
Rob and Deb Mangano
Nytewyng
500 Club

Postby Timmah » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:58 pm

You guys try to get a bulk deal? Don't try to piecemeal it. Get together and order 50 of them then I bet you get that deal.

Anyway just an idea,

Tim
Just my Spin,

Timmah
Timmah
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bdosborn » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:47 pm

I'm a litle late to this thread since we were at Pamplin Grove but here is how our Petcool is hooked up right now. It works okay but it would work better if the supply and return were farther apart. It did allow us to have a nice night of sleep in Nevada when it was 105 during the day. I'm struggling with cutting holes in the tear and can't commit to a more permanant install. The hoses and fittings are 3" sewer tubing from camping world. I just screwed connectors over the outlets of the petcool.

Bruce
P.S. I got mine used on Ebay for a *lot* less than a new one...
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Arne » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:24 am

I'm surprised no one has gone up through the floor.... that is my plan. Might need some minor ductwork, but that should be easy enough to do.. and no visible holes, unless you stick your head underneath.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Tear Fan » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:14 pm

Arne (and all ya'll) -

That is exactly my plan - to run some PVC from just under the galley hatch foward under the frame, up through the back of the galley (in the 5X8 Silver Shadow), then a 90-degree turn into the cabin. The supply side will be on Jennifer's side and the return in the middle, both just above the mattress/wadded-up-blanket level. Then the PetCool will simply hook to the two pipes under the galley with two squeeze clamps, like the rings for dryer ducting, and Bob's your uncle.

Marvin
Life is so short, we should all move more slowly. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Photos - http://flickr.com/photos/47726343@N00/
Tear Fan
The 300 Club

Postby Arne » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:19 pm

Marvin, I've been trying to remember "Bob's your uncle" for weeks.... thanks.... It ranks right up there with:

G'day

Good on ya

I love those slang terms.......
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby jklittleguy » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:47 pm

hi, my name is justin i work for little guy world wide. we do air conditioners all the time. i could help you out if you want. let me know.
Justin Kicos
After Market Manager
Shipping/receiving
www.golittleguy.com
jklittleguy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:11 pm

jklittleguy wrote:hi, my name is justin i work for little guy world wide. we do air conditioners all the time. i could help you out if you want. let me know.

...Justin, this one of the most widely debated topics on the board...how 'bout a little insight into the little guy way...I am sure it would be appreciated by many here...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion