Awning?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby Joseph » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:25 am

Nic wrote:Who did that awsome water color Joseph?

My sweetie! :thumbsup:

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby BILLYL » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:40 am

Joseph-

Your awing is exactly what I am looking to do. It is perfect. Can you supply any details. size - lengthx width. The C awing channel - how was installled. How does it do in the rain?

Great job - and I love your wife's work..................

Bill
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll
gonna murder you in your sleep...." Frank Zappa
BILLYL
Donating Member

Postby Joseph » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:06 pm

BILLYL wrote:Your awing is exactly what I am looking to do. It is perfect. Can you supply any details. size - lengthx width.

It's 4' wide and 12' long.
The C awing channel - how was installled.

It's screwed down just above the hinge.
How does it do in the rain?

It is absolutely critical to ensure that the middle poles are higher than the end poles - otherwise it fills with water, which is NOT good! Otherwise, it works great. Also, I thought I'd use the hatch to hold up the rear section, but then discovered that I had to leave the hatch up all the time. I added the middle grommets and used the poles and ropes from my Scotty. If I had it to do over I'd have had Canvas Replacements do that.
Great job

Well, I can hardly take the credit for the workmanship - I just wrote Canvas Replacements a check.
and I love your wife's work..................

Kate's not my wife - yet. It's a long-distance relationship for at least a couple of years until I can retire - she lives in Missouri and I live in Virginia.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby lcurrie » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:11 pm

I've come up with a concept of using threaded receivers for steel pipe that are permanently attached/welded to my trailer to hold my awning. I've posted a poorly drawn illustration in my album of my concept. It is designed so that the poles are unscrewed and stored inside the trailer when traveling.

After reading the posts in this thread, i'd add that the front poles should be slightly taller than the back poles.

As i'm still VERY far away from completing my Cubby, this idea is still in it's infancy. i probably will give some thought into how i can build on it to cover the galley as well.

Lynn
lcurrie
Silver Donating Member

Postby Joseph » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:28 pm

lcurrie wrote:After reading the posts in this thread, i'd add that the front poles should be slightly taller than the back poles.

Only if you want your awning to fill with water and collapse! Been there, done that... :thumbdown:

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Re: Awning?

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:46 pm

Nic wrote:Im wanting to build an awning the lenght of my camper for the door side and a small one for my side window.

This is what I am thinking of modifying for over my doors. I have 3 of these on the 33'er that I am stripping. I figure I can modify the props and add some stretcher rods to make it work like my awning on the big trailer does.
They are spring loaded and stat closed on their own.
Some new cloth and they ought to work pretty good.

Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby t-vicky » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:51 pm

Nic, check out my album for several pics of my homemade awning. All the conduct stores in the 4in PCV pipe underneath. Nothing touches the ground so you can move the trailer without takeing it down. Came from a wal-mart porch glider. Works good & only takes a couple of minites to put up. Roger
The impossable just takes longer & cost more.
t-vicky
Teardrop Master

Postby Micro469 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:24 pm

Another way to fasten it to the tear is with the snaps they use on boats to hold the roofs on...... ;)
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Joseph » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:31 am

Nic wrote:YES! Like THAT! Only on the side.

I knew I had this picture somewhere - an old Scotty with a side awning. I have the same awning for my Scotty but I haven't set it up and taken a picture yet. Same source, same method of attaching.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Nic » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:58 am

WOW! Little did i know that this topic would blow up like this. So many good ideas! The "J" hook idea im not sure will be able to screw into my camper. Today i sewed my awning together and put those tarp type holes in it. I may just go with some kind of hooks that screw in for now. I only want a small awning for some shade and the looks of it. :D I will try to get the awning sewing done in the morning when i get off work and take a pic for you guys.
Im not lazy. I just hang out a lot.
Nic
500 Club

Postby mwatters » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:29 am

For yet another awning suggestion...

Our first trailer was a '72 13-foot Boler. It didn't have an awning rail, but I wanted to rig an awning to it. My solution cost a total of $10.

The $10 went toward buying a 10x10 freestanding shade awning from Kmart. It had 5 poles (4 corners and 1 in the middle).

One side of the awning was laid on top of the trailer. Lines were attached to the corner grommets on that side and hitched to eye-bolts mounted on the front and back ends of the trailer. Two poles were used in the front corners and supported with guidelines as normal and the center pole mounted as normal.

I lost maybe 12-18 inches worth of width due to the part of the awning that overlapped the trailer, but it did a very nice job of keeping the water from dripping all over the door-side of the trailer in addition to providing a dry spot to sit and cook.

The same approach should work quite nicely with a teardrop with that big side curve in the body. You just need a couple places to tie the rope to.

Mike
Watters
Mike
Watters
mwatters
Teardrop Master

Postby Joseph » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:15 am

mwatters wrote:The same approach should work quite nicely with a teardrop with that big side curve in the body.

The Scotty has a side curve - you just bend the awning rail to match.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Previous

Return to General Discussion