Storage room

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Storage room

Postby beverlyt » Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:14 am

May I please carry all my camping gear out to the trailer yet?
I've got two very small pop-up tents that need a place for storage and a Zodi camp shower too. Oh yeah, and of course our folding chairs. Also...we've yet to build a bracket on the front of the tongue for the spare tire. I guess the tents and chairs will have to live on top of the mattress when trailer is not being used.
Does it add quite a bit of tongue weight to add a carrier of sorts on the tongue? Bad idea?
I'm hoping to come up with an idea that keeps ALL my camping gear on/in the trailer without having to store it elsewhere.
Storage ideas anyone? Where does everyone keep all this gear!?
Bev
P.S. My footwell isn't big enough for the shower or the spare wheel. Darn!
beverlyt
500 Club

Re: Storage room

Postby BufordT » Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:23 am

Bev,

This seems to be a problem for anyone with these little trailers. What tow car are you using? I been thinking about using pvc pipe to make a carrier for things. The round pipes with covers on each end. This way the pop-up tents can stay in there and the camp shower also. All this I can keep in a safe place till ready to go and put in the back of the truck. You could attach the pipes to the tear in some way if necessary.

Bufordt :twisted:

beverlyt wrote:May I please carry all my camping gear out to the trailer yet?
I've got two very small pop-up tents that need a place for storage and a Zodi camp shower too. Oh yeah, and of course our folding chairs. Also...we've yet to build a bracket on the front of the tongue for the spare tire. I guess the tents and chairs will have to live on top of the mattress when trailer is not being used.
Does it add quite a bit of tongue weight to add a carrier of sorts on the tongue? Bad idea?
I'm hoping to come up with an idea that keeps ALL my camping gear on/in the trailer without having to store it elsewhere.
Storage ideas anyone? Where does everyone keep all this gear!?
Bev
P.S. My footwell isn't big enough for the shower or the spare wheel. Darn!
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby beverlyt » Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:34 am

Bufordt,
Well, we have two tow vehicles. The first being a shiny red VW New Beetle. The 2nd, being a Chevy Blazer.
The bug doesn't have tons of storage space, but it does have some.
I was hoping to have everything stored with the trailer, and still leave the mattress free if someone wanted to take a quick nap:)
hmmmm...
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby BufordT » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:00 am

Bev,

Checked you web site to remember what kind of trailer you buiilt. No one that I've seen has done this before, but you could attach one or tow big sections of pvc pipe to the front of the chassis at the A and store all the tents in there. cover one end and use the other so that it can be screwed on and off. You see this used on work trucks all the time. Vans mostly.

You could paint the pipes and your ready to go. I don't think they would take away from the look of the tear at all. then store the chairs in the tear and take them out and put them in the car when you need to take a nap.

Hope this helps and gives you somekind of ideas.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Tongue Box

Postby mikeschn » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:53 am

Personally I love the tongue box...

It was purchased on your side of the state. I'm sure it adds some weight, depending on what you have stored in there. My tongue is 215#, and that's with the tongue chest empty. Incidently, the chest is aluminum. It is really light. I'd like to guess it's 10#, but I know that's too low. I guess we could call the manufacturer and ask.

BTW here's the information for that tongue chest.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... pId=405628

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Jiminsav » Sun May 02, 2004 2:34 pm

Hey now, I was thinking of the large PVC pipe thing also, but why not mount it under the Tear so it dosn't add to the clutter inside, or the weight on the tongue.
I'm also thinking of using a sheet metal box under the tear..maybe a piece of galvanized heater air duct..yeah, thats a good idea..mount that puppy under the tear and make a door on the back side and slide stuff in there..yeah..thats the ticket.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Return to General Discussion