I can't discuss it now...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby bledsoe3 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:41 am

Elumia wrote:You said you were going to takes some shots, so does that mean you learned how to use the new camera or joined the NRA?

Mark

He was talking about tequila.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:25 am

If an old Goyim Florida Cracker and a brash Jewish Mensch can get along....well, just let that be a lesson to everyone!!!
:shake hands: :cheerswine:

But, even we can act like a putz at times. :noyes: :lol:
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby lcurrie » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:35 am

Kind of like sex, which I usually miserably failed at as well.

Sorry. My mom has no advice to help you there.

:oops:
lcurrie
Silver Donating Member

Postby Melvin » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:30 pm

lcurrie wrote:Put your hand on the BOTTOM of the steering wheel. Now, if your hand goes right, your trailer goes right. If you hand goes left, your trailer goes left.

Not only does this method not work for me, the one time I tried it I got so confused I had trouble backing my truck. I guess I'm just hind brained.

What you really need is practice. Go to a mall parking lot in the wee hours of the morning and just practice backing up. In a few hours you'll be able to back up an alley while avoiding staggered rubbish bins.
Commandant Louis Joseph Lahure has a singular distinction in military history - he defeated a navy on horseback. Occupying Holland in January 1795, the French continental army learned that the mighty Dutch navy had been frozen into the ice around Texel Island. So Lahure and 128 men simply rode up to it and demanded surrender. No shots were fired.
Melvin
Teardrop Master

Postby Joseph » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:39 pm

bdosborn wrote:Nobody gives me the thumbs up driving either.

I did have some guy snap a photo of me with his cell phone camera once. Does that count?

And great story, Ira! :thumbsup: We are a lot more alike than either of us might have guessed. It's just that I ain't telling! :lol:

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby tonyj » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:48 pm

Ira--I jumped on a greyhound to come help but got flipped off when it started chasing the rabbit, and then all these people start chasing me from the track, so I guess I can't come help.

And nobody, I repeat, nobody can back a trailer with practice. You have to have the grace of the cosmos on your side to get the back of the trailer to go where you want. It will not go where you want when there is traffic or when there is an observer within 300 feet. That is just the law of the universe. For a very hilarious time killer, take your ice chest with bud and go to any busy boat dock where weekenders are launching their boats--the more beer you drink, the worse they back their trailers. It is hilarious. Kind of like watching people parallel park.

Skil-saw--circular blade. Jig saw (also called a saber saw)--short perpendicular blade that travels up and down from the base of the saw. Sawz-all--(also called a bayonet saw)-longer straight blade that sticks out in line with the body of the saw.

Sorry about the box, but things always get built better the second time around anyway. And you can't see the box when you are inside your nice, cool TD with the movie or music cranked up to music hall levels. Congrats on getting the crab home. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby lcurrie » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:00 pm

It will not go where you want when there is traffic or when there is an observer within 300 feet. That is just the law of the universe.

Ain't that the truth. I've notices as soon as cars start coming and i need to hurry it up, i start sweating. Once that starts, forget it. I might as well pull forward, let all the cars go by and then start over.

Lynn
lcurrie
Silver Donating Member

Postby tonyj » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:34 pm

lcurrie wrote:
It will not go where you want when there is traffic or when there is an observer within 300 feet. That is just the law of the universe.

Ain't that the truth. I've notices as soon as cars start coming and i need to hurry it up, i start sweating. Once that starts, forget it. I might as well pull forward, let all the cars go by and then start over.

Lynn

If I have to abort, I will usually go drive around for 5-10 minutes and hope that when I get back, no one who saw me make the first attempt will be there to point and laugh at me again! But by now, I am pretty used to it.
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby cracker39 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:11 pm

WHADDYAMEAN??? Can't back a trailer. You should see where I have to back mine. But, I've had about 40 years of practice. I have a gravel drive between my house and the fence, that connects to my circular driveway. It's maybe 11 feet wide at the front and widening to about 12' when it reaches the house. I drive up the street (bottom to top in the diagram, solid line), swing in to the left then angle back the trailer (dotted line) toward the left side of the street (which is narrow). I have to cut the trailer in sharply onto the gravel drive, missing the utility pole with both trailer and truck while maneuvering.

I have to continue past the flowering tree trunk, then cut the rear of the trailer back to the left to thread it between the fence and the house. Meanwhile, making sure the front of the truck doesn't smack into the pole. If I get it successfully past the fence and don't run into the house, I've got it made. Usually, I can do this with having to only straighten out and reposition once before entering the driveway and that's because the street is so narrow.

PS. I try not to drive on the grass, but usually do cut across a few feet of it by the end of the circular drive. Now tell me you have it rough backing up your trailer.

Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby lcurrie » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:31 pm

Dale,

Between the detailed diagram and the meticulous avoidance of the grass, i'm guessing USMC. My dad was career Marine Corps and that post looks suspiciously like emails i get from him.

:D
lcurrie
Silver Donating Member

Postby angib » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:35 pm

tonyj wrote:And nobody, I repeat, nobody can back a trailer with practice. You have to have the grace of the cosmos on your side to get the back of the trailer to go where you want.

There is a level of practice at which it all suddenly becomes easy - but even then the pros occasionally pull forward for a second try.

Not being embarassed is the real skill, not the actual reversing.

The one group of guys whose reversing you should see are the guys who back semi-trailers into ferries or ro-ro (roll-on-roll-off) ships. I've never seen any other drivers hit 20 or even 30 mph in reverse with a trailer - really scary to be near, but very impressive.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby PapaJ » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:10 pm

Ira wrote:I'll take some shots before I fix it. I just wasn't in the mood yesterday.

Thanks for the thumbs, but you guys ALWAYS do that.

I needed admiration from unlightened neophytes.

IRA, I've lived in south Florida off and on for over 35 years. The only "digit" your going to get down here from another driver is not the thumb. :lol:

Let me know when you are heading to Anastasia and I'll try to meet you on I95 and give you a big Harley Davidson thumbs up. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You should be pretty easy to spot. 8)

Tom
When I die, I want to go quietly in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car.
PapaJ
Donating Member

Postby Micro469 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:01 pm

I found that backing up a trailer is very much like backing up a boat.. Kinda hard to explain, but it does work. Also it helps if you turn almost completly around in the seat and watch the rear of the car/truck rather than concentrating on the steering wheel....Does that make sense???? :roll:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:08 pm

Micro469 wrote:....Does that make sense???? :roll:

Wellllll...I dunno. I use my mirrors, rarely turn to look back. It's a little tougher for people now since they started putting that 'stupid' mirror on the right side. It makes it harder to judge when your trailer is centered on the vehicle.
It's really not something that can be explained tho, you just have to learn it for yourself and do what works best for you. Disconnect and push sounds like a popular alternative, give it a shot Ira. :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:19 pm

Nitetimes wrote:
Micro469 wrote:....Does that make sense???? :roll:

Wellllll...I dunno. I use my mirrors, rarely turn to look back. It's a little tougher for people now since they started putting that 'stupid' mirror on the right side. It makes it harder to judge when your trailer is centered on the vehicle.
It's really not something that can be explained tho, you just have to learn it for yourself and do what works best for you. Disconnect and push sounds like a popular alternative, give it a shot Ira. :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

after 20 years in big rigs, all I use is the mirrors...I get confused if I look over my shoulder...I do this even without a trailer on...it's all what you are used to doing..........
madjack
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion