I can't discuss it now...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby Kevin A » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:29 pm

All I use is the outside mirrors as well, one big advantage is that you can sight down the entire side of the trailer. This is something that is much harder to do when turned around, looking out the back window.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby doug hodder » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:29 pm

some of the best entertainment you can get for free is to sit on a boat ramp and watch the action!!! I build with a 4' tongue, it isn't as "fast" as a shorter one, 1 foot does make a difference on a short trailer, at least it does to me, but on a factory frame like Ira's that's what you have to work with...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby asianflava » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:53 am

You can explain all you want and read all you can but it's hard to comprehend unless you've done it a few times. If I haven't backed the trailer in a few months, I forget how. After 1 or 2 times straightening myself out, it all comes right back.

The trick is to get the tow vehicle and trailer to stay turning on the same arc, turning without the trailer angle changing. Seems like once I get this figured out, backing comes easier. Oh, and I don't look at my mirrors much.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby sjptak » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:14 am

I agree with using the mirrors. I can't seem to get the hang of turning around and looking while I'm backing. I guess its all in how you learned. Couple of years ago, I put a ball on my front bumper. You'd think that would make it easy, it took me a lot of getting used to. But, I'm wierd. :lol:
Stan

A tear drop wannabe but
a reasonably small TTT owner
sjptak
Teardrop Master

Postby cracker39 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:30 am

I use my mirrors most of the time backing up both with and without the trailer. I drove a work van for 4 years and I had a pickup with a camper on it and had to rely on the outside mirrors with both. You get used to it. And, a foot or two extra length between the ball and the axle make a lot of difference. I have at least 9' between mine on the TTT, where the stock 4'x8' utility trailer probably has 7' give or take a few inches. My utility trailer is SOOOOOO much more difficult to back up than my TTT or my boat trailer. That extra couple of feet gives you a lot more wiggle room and more time to change the trailer's direction.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Ira » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:50 am

My problem with using the side mirrors is that you can hardly see the TD behind the truck.

Photos of the crushed box can be found in Construction, in my Rebuilding A Tongue Box thread.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby cracker39 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:26 am

Ira, as long as you can't see it, it's going fairly straight. You should have named the TD David and the truck Goliath.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Joseph » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:47 pm

cracker39 wrote:WHADDYAMEAN??? Can't back a trailer. You should see where I have to back mine. But, I've had about 40 years of practice.

I know a gent with a similar amount of practice. He backed his teardrop uphill around a sharp bend and between several rocks and trees. I was slack-jawed in amazement. "40 years a truckdriver," was all he said.
Ira wrote:My problem with using the side mirrors is that you can hardly see the TD behind the truck.

I have that same problem. It tows so easy driving down the highway I keep checking the rearview to make sure it's still there!

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Dave Bob » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:06 pm

Hell Ira, a little duct tape and the old one will be as good as new!! :lol:

Dave
Never say "What else could go wrong?"
Because it usually will.
Dave Bob
Teardrop Advisor

Postby asianflava » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:41 pm

Wait till you pull into the campsite when it is dark. Not only will you have to back in, but you have to back into the darkness. You can't see anything except the tow vehicle's taillights reflecting back from the trailer.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:10 am

asianflava wrote:Wait till you pull into the campsite when it is dark. Not only will you have to back in, but you have to back into the darkness. You can't see anything except the tow vehicle's taillights reflecting back from the trailer.

That's why I considered puttting backup lights on my TTT, but in the end, I didn't. Someday I may wish I had.
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion