Kids and tools

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Kids and tools

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:13 pm

:( A little off topic but I wanted to share this. Local youth 13/14 saw me working in shop today and stopped to see what I as doing. He had seen my first Tear last year and was interested in my building another. I had miter box and hand saws laid out and he wondered why I wasn't using the table saw or some other power tool. HE HAD NEVER SEEN ANYONE USE A HAND SAW. I was shocked to say the least. Tried to explain to him the gratification of using hand tools; some of which I got from my 90 year old father after he passed. He taught me to use them 40 odd years ago. As soon as this tear is done me and my 7 year old grandson are going to start building some bird houses and maybe a small boat for him. Just something to think about. AL G
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby BufordT » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:14 am

Always nice to hear about teaching others the use of tools and safety with them. Keep the post coming Alan.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby beverlyt » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:16 am

Alan,
It is sad. About 5 years ago in the middle schools here (6th,7th,8th) grades, they did away with the wood and metal shops. Kids now have to wait for high school for such learning activities. And then, if they kids choose these classes...they have to actually bus them to a tech center 10/15 miles away.
Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:30 am

I remember having those wood working classes in 7th - 9th grade, and that is one of the reasons I do woodworking today. I always dreamed about a big shop with a nice smooth concrete floor. We I didn't get the big shop, but I do have a collection of tools, both power and hand tools.

Alan, so many people use power tools because they are faster. I am guilty of that too. But there are times when I slow down and do something by hand. Definitely more gratification out of that!

In a few years I might do a 5x9 teardrop. I can see myself handcutting the dovetails on the drawers, and putting square hickory pegs in round holes to keep the stiles and rails together on the doors. But I have to clear some stuff off my plate first. My wife is still waiting for that new kitchen floor, and I have to put drywall up in the back foyer. But after that... :thumleft:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion