covering material ???

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

covering material ???

Postby Chip » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:32 am

I am thinking about using a commercial roofing material on the outside of my TD,,its called TPO generically and is tough stuff,,,has anyone thought of using such a material or has anyone heard of it being used,,,its an easy material to work with and is available in roll sizes plenty large enough to accomadate odd size tears,,,may try it if no one has had any experience as a good alternative to metal,,,I know ya'll got openions so let me have them,,,thanks,,,,

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:55 am

Is that anything like the PVC that Beverly used on her teardrop?

Do you have a link that tells us more about this TPO stuff?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

tpo link,,,,

Postby Chip » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:00 am

mike try this onehttp://www.gaf.com/Content/Documents ... pdf,,,,its by GAF company,,comercial products,,TPO 45
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:12 am

Wow that stuff looks thin, even thinner than the white PVC that Bev used. And she had a world of problems with the stuff not laying flat. I would try that on a piece of scrap wood first, but my guess is that you wouldn't like it. Why do through all the labor of building a beautiful teardrop, only to ruin it with a nasty looking covering. Then you'd be better off painting it with a glossy white paint. Exterior of course.

There was someone who knew more about roofing materials, who surfaced when I talked about Kool Seal roofing paint. http://www.koolseal.com/
Maybe I can find him again! Hmmmm I guess I'll start with a search on Kool Seal! :lol:

Mike...

http://www.gaf.com/Content/Documents/10571.pdf
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

TPO

Postby Chip » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:22 am

the material is also available in 60 mil and 80 mil,,,adhering it is no problem,,,its similar to pvc or hypalon ,,just a lot more forgiving and easier to work with,,seams are heat welded together and shrinkage is less of a problem,,,comes in white,,gray and light tan,,I am real familiar with Kool Seal ,, newer elastomerics on the market now that are polyester reinforced and work well,,however smooth coating is difficult to get, and the stuff,IE Hydro-Stop is definately not cheap,,just looking for an alternitave to metal,,I am a fair wood worker but tend to butcher hands on any metal work,,,just thinking out loud for now,,,and looking at an option that is readly available to me,,

thanks for the input Mike,,,chip
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:34 am

okay, the thread was pretty easy to find. the guy was AZCraig.

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... =kool+seal

I'll have to bounce it off of him tonight, since he is on Teardroptimes, and I don't have access to that board from here at work. Unless someone else goes over there and asks him! :wink:

Mike...

P.S. Be sure to bring the answer back here! :lol:
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Chip » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:52 am

Thanks Mike,,,If I find out any information I will post and please do the same,,thanks again,,,Ya'll keep em straight up thar,,,,,,

chiip :D
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby beverlyt » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:25 pm

Hi Chip,
I wanted to tell you about our experience with pvc roofing.
We had a friend who has over 20 years experience, "roof" our trailer. So..you could say we had a professional do it.
The problems:
You can see any inperfections under the stuff. Any wood putty...any small lumps, etc.
We also have some lumping/bubbles here and there that we don't really know why they are there. Perhaps the glue didn't stick well. Perhaps this will go away in time as it sits outside in some warm sunshine. (If we ever get any here in Michigan)

The good qualities:
Cheap compared to aluminum. White...great for reflecting heat. Makes a good insulating material on the outside. Great for keeping the trailer waterproof/weatherproof. Better for watching tv? Very little aluminum to interfere with reception.

We are actually quite happy with ours because we care more about the comfort and simple "it works for what it's there for", then what it looks like. If the pvc roofing lasts for years.... we're just as happy with it as we would have been with aluminum.
Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby BufordT » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:58 pm

beverlyt wrote:Hi Chip,
I wanted to tell you about our experience with pvc roofing.
We had a friend who has over 20 years experience, "roof" our trailer. So..you could say we had a professional do it.
The problems:
You can see any inperfections under the stuff. Any wood putty...any small lumps, etc.
We also have some lumping/bubbles here and there that we don't really know why they are there. Perhaps the glue didn't stick well. Perhaps this will go away in time as it sits outside in some warm sunshine. (If we ever get any here in Michigan)

The good qualities:
Cheap compared to aluminum. White...great for reflecting heat. Makes a good insulating material on the outside. Great for keeping the trailer waterproof/weatherproof. Better for watching tv? Very little aluminum to interfere with reception.

We are actually quite happy with ours because we care more about the comfort and simple "it works for what it's there for", then what it looks like. If the pvc roofing lasts for years.... we're just as happy with it as we would have been with aluminum.
Bev

That's really good info to know Bev, Thanks for sharing. Except for the paint job and a few things I did wrong. Not knowing what I was doing I'm quite happy with the FRP that I used. I know what I did wrong and the next one will be much better and look a lot nicer. The side and top float on this to some degree and I am not happy with that. However I know now what type of glue to use.

Also, it would look much better painted with Auto paint which I'll do on the next one.

Got the template cut today for the next one. Got some other work to do around the house so the tear will have to wait till later this summer. I am going to leave the mini-hopper up on the property later this summer so I will have a place for the grand kids when we all go camping.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Return to General Discussion