Protecting aluminum skins

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Protecting aluminum skins

Postby greasywheats » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:08 pm

I am interested in any solutions for keeping mill finish aluminum skins looking new. I have noticed that even light wiping from a paper towel or rag will dull/scratch the finish. Has anyone with mill finish skins had good luck with any products to protect the skin (5 Starshine or Everbright, etc) I don't want to change the finish (i.e.- mirror polish), I just want to protect the finish from brushing up against it and fingerprints and water stains...
Thanks!
greasywheats
Teardrop Master

Postby sdtripper2 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:41 pm

greasy:

Keeping aluminum clean and without scratches eh?

Scratches can be troublesome for sure. Here is one thread where scratches
were discussed. You might find it of interest to read. I am sure there will be
others along with some ideas.

Some would intentionally scuff the aluminum to put in patterns with a sander
type scotch pad, as well. Think Doug H. did that on one of his creative rigs.

Try this thread:

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=7343
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Re: Protecting aluminum skins

Postby DaveandDebbie » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:24 pm

greasywheats wrote:I am interested in any solutions for keeping mill finish aluminum skins looking new. I have noticed that even light wiping from a paper towel or rag will dull/scratch the finish. Has anyone with mill finish skins had good luck with any products to protect the skin (5 Starshine or Everbright, etc) I don't want to change the finish (i.e.- mirror polish), I just want to protect the finish from brushing up against it and fingerprints and water stains...
Thanks!

:thinking: Try this link http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=5720 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

After reading it I think I am sold :o :o Hope it help's Dave
DaveandDebbie
Teardrop Advisor

Postby greasywheats » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:30 pm

Thanks guys...Dave, that's the thread that I saw the 5 Starbright and other product...wondering if anyone has used them (or others) and are getting any protection without changing the appearance of the mill finish on the aluminum...
greasywheats
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:43 pm

To keep my mill finish clean and fairly lusterious looking I use anything that has mineral oil in it, like Counter Top Magic. :thumbsup: Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby greasywheats » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:58 pm

Danny to the rescue again...I will have to give that a try on some of my scraps. Thanks much! :applause:
greasywheats
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:39 am

GW, if you wanna permanent solution, try spaying with a clear paint adhesion product and auto clearcoat, such as Doug has done on the tops of his tears....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby greasywheats » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:11 pm

MJ- Thanks for the recommendation...I'm kind of stuck in the middle...I don't want to commit to that level of involvement...I'm looking for a low-intensity surface treatment (even if I have to do it with some regularity). I'm just concerned that if I were to hose the Tear down with soap and water and rub a rag on it anywhere that it'd get real dull in spots...

Danny- Did you use Counter Magic or Stainless Steel Magic? The SS one is recommended for aluminum, while the CM is recommended for laminated surfaces..

I'd still be interested in anyone's results with 5 Starbright and Everbright....

Thanks!
greasywheats
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:49 pm

greasywheats wrote:MJ- Thanks for the recommendation...I'm kind of stuck in the middle...I don't want to commit to that level of involvement...I'm looking for a low-intensity surface treatment (even if I have to do it with some regularity). I'm just concerned that if I were to hose the Tear down with soap and water and rub a rag on it anywhere that it'd get real dull in spots...

Danny- Did you use Counter Magic or Stainless Steel Magic? The SS one is recommended for aluminum, while the CM is recommended for laminated surfaces..

I'd still be interested in anyone's results with 5 Starbright and Everbright....

Thanks!

GW, I've used both with the same results. It's the mineral oil that's important. When I polish out my aluminum and can't get rid of all that black crud that keeps coming off the mineral oil cleans it off clean as a:whistle: . Counter top magic will make wood surfaces look good too but I think they have another product for that purpose. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

aluminum

Postby Wolf » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:42 pm

This is a question I have had for a long time myself. I have wet sanded and polished the roof on one of my teardrops and polished my old 59' Boles Aero (five times) with Mother's and it looks great for little while but what mess! :x

I'll have to check out the Counter Top Magic, thanks Danny :thumbsup:

Here are some products that may work if you like shine.
http://www.aircraftpolish.com/specrolite.html
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/c ... ushine.php

This last one works on painted surfaces and restores Plexiglas and Lexan.
Wolf
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion