Big box store windows?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Big box store windows?

Postby mikeschn » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:26 am

I just wondered if the big box stores have any windows that I could use in a teardrop, or do I have to make them from scratch.

In order for a window to be decent for the road, it should be relatively lightweight, and sorta resistant to breakage. Oh yea, it shouldn't have any panels that just "lift out". Can you imagine going over a bump and losing your window? :o

So has anyone seen a window that might work, or do I have to do something like this...

http://www.deansofidaho.com/teardrop/wi ... ndows.html

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Classic Finn » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:50 am

Mike the one Im having Made is very lightweight.. with nice aluminum moulding around it... And its not even real glass, its a form of plexi or related..cant remember the exact name of the material. Used for boats or yachts...

Youve most likely seen my post about it...but you prefer some sort of
wood I reckon?

half the size but the radius is very close..

Classic Finn
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Geron » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:04 am

Classic Finn wrote:Mike the one Im having Made is very lightweight.. with nice aluminum moulding around it... And its not even real glass, its a form of plexi or related..cant remember the exact name of the material. Used for boats or yachts...

wood I reckon?

Classic Finn

Lexan???

g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby reiltear » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:13 am

Might some type of a casement window with tempered glass work?

I'm not sure the price will be any better, though. I'm leaning towards homemade.
reiltear
Teardrop Master

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:16 pm

If I was to consider using a manufactured window available through a box store, I'd want to make sure that it was available with tempered glass. The one bugaboo I see about using a window of this type, which is made for installing into a wall in your home, is the overall thickness of the window frame itself... too phat! (IMO)
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:34 pm

Mike I tried to get a window that wasn't intended for a 2x4 wall and couldn't. I even tried to get one at the window places...I was hoping to get a sample type because they are smaller but no one would sell me one. You might try finding out who has the samples and talk them out of one or a dozen. :twisted: :D
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Geron » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:55 pm

Miriam C. wrote:Mike I tried to get a window that wasn't intended for a 2x4 wall and couldn't. I even tried to get one at the window places...I was hoping to get a sample type because they are smaller but no one would sell me one. You might try finding out who has the samples and talk them out of one or a dozen. :twisted: :D

The first TTT I built about 20 years ago before I knew what a TD was (Oh yeah, this is build #3 -- I forgot about that one) I got the window from a window rep at a builders supply place. I just happened to be there when the rep was there and they were swapping out the "samples". This was a small fully functional aluminum window that fit well into a piece of 3/4 inch plywood.

Talk about luck! Oh yeah, he made me pay for it -- about 5 - 10 bucks IIRC.

That could happen again and one just might be able to "make" it happen with the right contacts.

Geron
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Classic Finn » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:05 pm

Geron wrote:
Classic Finn wrote:Mike the one Im having Made is very lightweight.. with nice aluminum moulding around it... And its not even real glass, its a form of plexi or related..cant remember the exact name of the material. Used for boats or yachts...

wood I reckon?

Classic Finn

Lexan???

g

Geron Thank You - Thats it...I had a short circuit in my translation machine.. :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

Classic Finn
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby neal b » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:55 pm

hi mike the window i got from the lumber yard are 14x21 vertical slide the work for me

neal
neal b
The 300 Club

Postby Claw » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:46 pm

My windows were a salesman's storm/screen samples about the size Neal listed above. My neighbor was a window/siding guy who retired and had a couple he gave me. I believe you can order this size from a box store. It is screwed in place from the inside and then I cut trim pieces that covered the rough opening and butted up to the outside profile. I painted the frame black. The unit is slightly less than an inch thick and work quite well with my 3/4" sidewalls. No leaks as the water drains to an angled sill.

The screen is on the outside of the TD with the slide on the inside so the glass pane can not pop out onto the road if it were to pop out. I was concerned that it may break since it was not tempered. I have traveled some pretty rough gravel roads along the Mississippi River and have not had a problem with breakage. It may become a problem as the glass ages and becomes brittle but the panes would be cheap to replace with new less brittle glass or plexiglass.
JIM

Think about It!
Claw
500 Club

Postby wok » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:03 pm

I tried to get one of the samples from HomeDepot, and Lowes, but both said there was absolutely no way in the entire world I would ever possibly have a chance of coming close to having one. ( yeah they were that sure). so I settled on a pair of 24 x 36" storm windows, because they were cheapish ($30 ea.) and low profile, though I'd like to return them now, and find something more suitable. DId you say you were able to order the small windows?
wok
Teardrop Master

Postby prohandyman » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:14 pm

Mike
I don't know how far away you are from Ft. Wayne, IN, but I just got back from Icke's Rv surplus in Montpelier (just so. of Ft. Wayne) and do they have Windows!! Stacks, and stacks, and stacks!! Mostly overruns and overstocks! Some sitting in crates , never opened. All shapes, sizes, with and without trim, And I think they told me the most expensive ones were no more than $20. Thats what I paid each for two sliders w/ screens. They accept plastic, and will ship. Even with shipping I don't think I could have purchased them elsewhere for less.
Did I say surplus? My god I was like a kid in a candy store. If it comes on an Rv, they probably have it. And cheap.
No website or toll free though
Here is their number: 765-728-5668 :) :)
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby wok » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:28 pm

that excellent! thanks!!!
wok
Teardrop Master

Postby wolfix » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:49 pm

Claw wrote:Image

My windows were a salesman's storm/screen samples about the size Neal listed above. My neighbor was a window/siding guy who retired and had a couple he gave me. I It may become a problem as the glass ages and becomes brittle but the panes would be cheap to replace with new less brittle glass or plexiglass.

I worked in Loves' Park in the window business in 1982...... The storm windows samples are great to use..... When I moved from my shop I bet I threw at least 50 away. The plexiglass idea is best....
Claw..... you said you drove rough roads up the Mississippi River area.....That would have to be north of thr Galena area.... towards LaCross.We spend time up that way in the fall, just on the west side of the river..... next fall maybe you can hook up with us for a night......
"I am the guy our parents warned us about."
wolfix
Teardrop Master

Postby Claw » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:14 pm

wolfix
Actually the area I have run most is the IL side south of the quad cities. There is the Great River Road but if one goes to a river access a lot of times there is gravel roads that run along side the levees which while not for the timid or those afraid of chips provide the best views of the River and the countryside! I love the River and have a goal to explore all the pools. Check my album for a pic of a cobbled together river raft I happened upon late one Sunday.

Last fall I went out to Manchester,IA and camped with Bodyman he gave me the tour of Delaware County in his '62 Ford cutom pick-up. Let me know where you camp and when, I will head out that way.

To keep with the thread is there different grades of plexiglass? Some I have seen in applications had become scratched and difficult to see through.
JIM

Think about It!
Claw
500 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion