Paint

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Paint

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:34 pm

Has anyone used Automotive paint on plywood before ? I'm not skinning this thing to keep the weight down (Tow with 69 Bug) and would like to paint to match car. What sealer, primer etc ? AL G :?: :?:
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ross Wade » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:53 pm

Alan,

I never used automotive paint on wood before, due to the constant movement of the wood. Auto paint is strong but brittle. No room for movement. When I would paint exterior wood furniture, I used an oil primer then oil paint. Oils take a long time to dry, however you can add "Japan Driers" in and speed up the drying process.

I wish I could be of more help. Check with a high quality paint store. Latex' has come a long way.

Ross
Ross
Southern Appalachian Tearjerker Chapter Director
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Re: Paint

Postby BufordT » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:42 am

ALAN GEDDES wrote:Has anyone used Automotive paint on plywood before ? I'm not skinning this thing to keep the weight down (Tow with 69 Bug) and would like to paint to match car. What sealer, primer etc ? AL G :?: :?:

Skin the tear with FRP. Stuff doesn't weigh much and you can use automotive paint on it. If you are not going to skin it I'd use latex like Ross suggested.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:06 am

Exterior latex is a possibility. Kool Seal is a possibility. I will be using Uniflex255 from http://www.rotdoctor.com/poly/polymain.html which is a 2 part urathane, but it's a little more expensive.

I've also heard of people using truck bed liner on theirs.

And then of course, you could always stain it and use spar-urathane, like Roly, Joseph, Ross and many others have.

Mike...
Last edited by mikeschn on Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby BufordT » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:23 am

That's a neat looking tear is it not?

BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:34 am

I'd definitely call that one rustic looking.

I have the interior of my teardrop done up in knotty pine, with stone-like tile to make it look rustic. But because it's going to be on the road a lot, I opted to keep it basic, i.e. white!

If I was building something to take to a piece of property to drop it off and leave it there, I would consider finishing the outside in cedar siding like that.

Now that siding is definitely an option for that 10x10 summer house that I showed in another thread!!! :-)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Paint

Postby tdhombre » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:34 am

I have looked at several alternatives and have come to the conclusion that the exterior finish is also a function of the design goals that should be in place at the start. For example, is this a "show horse" that will be displayed at teardrop gatherings intended to garner awe and admiration, or a "road warrior" intended to go long distances into primitive camp sites. If it is the former, then invest the time and $'s. If it is the later, then I would submit that the good old fashioned painted aluminum sheeting is the most practical. Get it in a color that matches the colors in your local hardware store's spray paint section for touch up's and go for it.

I was dubious about aluminum skinning on my teardrop since I had no experience with "metal shop" things. I invested in the aviation snips and it went very well. Much better than expected. Other necessary items are a good file and a jig saw equipped with an appropriate blade.

I can't imagine going into the "wild" with a teardrop finished with LOTS of time and effort invested in the exterior.

Just my 2 cents.......
tdhombre
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:13 pm

Painted my first with Home Depot Best primer sealer and exterior gloss latex. 2 coats of each sanding inbetween and it looked pretty good. This is a user not a show thing and I don't anticipate any back country trips at this time. AL
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:29 pm

I just put a coat of CPES (Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer) on the parts of my tear that are done. Of course, I saved some for the parts that I haven't built yet.

I'll have a picture later.

I'd like the get the holes puttied up and get the first coat of white on it by Sunday afternoon. Weather permitting!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:53 pm

Okay here's a picture of the tear with some CPES on it. I ran out and decided not to put any cpes in the middle areas where there is the least chance of getting water. Of course, I do have another can in the garage, and if there is any left after doing the hatch, then I'll come back and hit this area.

Mike...

P.S. Doesn't look like I'll get any white paint on this weekend if I have to finish the hatch first.
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:35 pm

Hey it's a good weather day... make that a great weather day. 78* and sunny. As soon as I get out of here I'm pulling out the teardrop and doing something. Don't know what something is, but I plan on spending the rest of the afternoon and evening outside! Will I have pictures later? Probably. But who knows for sure. Several things suggest themselves...
1) work on the hatch
2) work on the last section of roof (insulation and skinning)
3) play with white uniflex255 paint on the front section to see how it works
What will I actually do? Who knows. Only time will tell. Dinner? You mean I gotta do that too? Hmmmm what's the number for KFC Chicken? 8)

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby BufordT » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:52 pm

Let us know how the paint works out.

BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:07 pm

Woo hoo!!!

I got the last section of roof insulated and skinned. Whew! The hatch is the only major component left that needs skinning! We might do that this weekend in the basement, since it'll be raining all weekend, or so they say.

Anyways, here's the picture. I still need to use the flush trim bit on it, but that'll be another day.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby BufordT » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:36 pm

Great job there Mike. Man that is one big tear. Looking good.

BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Jiminsav » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:50 pm

Mike, thats looking good bud..you'll be camping in style soon
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion