If you can't find an Awning, make one

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby Classic Finn » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:37 pm

That is a nicely done awning or side tent...

Im going to try finding a moulding for one side of the tear that has a channel in it already... then make it to the shape of our tear as the one here..so it can easily be set up and teken down...Some of the Caravans here in europe and Scandinavia have them..pre installed such as Dethleff
or Hobby Caravans...such as this...

Also at the same time im going to see if I can come up with a nice way too add sides to the hatch when its raised up so it will have a more of a cover to it..while cooking...

Ideas and more ideas...here ls somthing that I can order locally..but I dont know how it holds up or will work :thinking: For this summer anyway..It comes with 2 extra side panels in the price.

and another is "somthing close" to the my fav... system but only to bend to the profile of our tear...

Hmmm .... :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: Ouch Rick .... Stop it .. :lol: :lol: My Brain is workin on overload...but here its getting close..to the profile...the back is attatched to a van..

Hmmmm fiberglass or graphite rods ? and channel....

Heikki
Last edited by Classic Finn on Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby rbeemer » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:54 pm

Does anybody know if the Metal Hurricane Hinges can be bent?

If you took one half of the hinge attached to the roof of your tear, you could slide your fiberglass pole through the hinge with your fabric around it(think curtain rod) then your canopy would follow the curve of your trailer. If you did not want to use a long piece you could probably cut two inch pieces (5cm) and space those out to handle the awning.

You probaly then could figure a way to keep the awning mounted on a semi-permanent basis. :thinking: :thinking:

OUCH!!! I think I pulled a brain cell :lol: :lol:

Too many voices going through my head must stop designing and start building. :lol:
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Postby Classic Finn » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:30 pm

I think I got an idear here .. :lol: :lol: . In da middle of the Arctic Night.. :lol: :lol: As Usual... :designing: :scratchthinking:

Ok I found me a lil moulding material here to make one of them side tents easier than thought...Mouldings not on yet sooooooo. take a look see.

Here is the profile for the side tent ....attatchment to slide into..

and this goes under the profile...

Last but not least here is the edging material for the tent ...that then slides into the moulding when done....

Here we have Airtex Material for Da Sewin....and if you like to add windows.. :lol: :lol: that is available also ...

Classic Finn

PS Honeyyyyyyyy I have an assignment for you... 8) 8) 8)

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Gage » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:07 pm

Claw wrote:
UK-Corlett wrote:All the other awnings I have seen are not sympathetic to the curves of the TD. This is not to blow my own trumpet or to get at any TD builder. Because as we all know just to get one on the road is a trial. BUT many people sweat and toil over beautiful details and attention to detail. Get to camp and pull over a toilet tent or reverse into a house tent. I just wanted more.

Well said, it is a challenge to find a complementing arrangement to keep off rain and bugs or provide that privacy inherently lacking in a TD while not detracting from the uniqueness of its shape or theme. Clive you have done a great job meeting that challenge.

Well I was looking for simplicity when I designed my room addition. A place to be able to stand (well almost) and change cloths, place for the port-a-potty, and a place to sit and watch the rain. And the best thing is it goes up in less than two minutes by myself.

Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:10 pm

Gage, how do you have it attached to your tear? Got a picture? :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Gage » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:28 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:Gage, how do you have it attached to your tear? Got a picture? :D Danny

It snaps to the roof line. Took every other screw hole in the edge trim and added snaps ( 8 ). The add on is just less than 60" x 60".
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:34 pm

Gage wrote:
halfdome, Danny wrote:Gage, how do you have it attached to your tear? Got a picture? :D Danny

It snaps to the roof line. Took every other screw hole in the edge trim and added snaps ( 8 ). The add on is just less than 60" x 60".

Did you allow some overlay to prevent the rain from coming into that attachment? I don't have screws just insert molding and I was wondering how to attach a tent or awning to the side. Also how do people attach a string of lights to the roof line? :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby KDOG » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:44 am

Great thread. I'll be looking into something like this when I get mine going.
FAILURE TO PLAN ON YOUR PART DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART.
KDOG
Teardrop Master

Postby riverfront » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:44 am

I think Gage's, though not streamlined, looks the simplest to make and set up. Especially with the roof snaps.

Gage, does it snap to the side on the vertical back that we can't see in your pic? Does the roll down door velcro to the outer wall when down or does it ties or just hang loose?

This idea looks so simple and I bet the cost is what sounds the best?
Oh! and about the support poles? Do they have a cross peice or does the rope hold it taught?
Bruce
riverfront
Teardrop Master

Postby cuyeda » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:06 pm

Has anyone tried this tent made by Kelty? It looks like it can be adapted easily. It attaches to the top luggage rack.

http://www.kelty.com
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:32 pm

I have one, it just attaches with velcro straps. They make 2 sizes, Medium and Large. I have a large but I don't use it because it's too large. A Medium is probably better suited for us.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby sdtripper2 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:32 am

Classic Finn wrote:
sdtripper2 wrote:I always liked this side tent:

Now that is what IM going to make this summer too...I like it.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: But more of a happier color though... ;)

Classic Finn :thumbsup:

Ya know Heikki.... I find that I like camouflage green. It seems to fit most
every setting without standing out like man made and that terrible blue that
most tarps are made of is so stand out-ish. I do like the hug design of a side
tent however not in bright colors. Subtle and woods friendly seems more right to me.
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby Classic Finn » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:42 pm

Still looking into making my own awning ... while waiting for things to dry and ordered parts to come in ... so in the meanwhile I found some interesting items for making the side awning such as this below..

The poles first of all by the name of Featherlite...and then the clamps to go with it...I was told by this company that these poles would be good due to the possibility of bending to the curvature of the tear...without the poles breaking... so now Ive got ideas running in my ol mind again... :lol: :lol:

http://www.thenorthface.com/eu/technolo ... -EQ23.html

Classic Finn

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:01 pm

Gage wrote:
Claw wrote:
UK-Corlett wrote:All the other awnings I have seen are not sympathetic to the curves of the TD. This is not to blow my own trumpet or to get at any TD builder. Because as we all know just to get one on the road is a trial. BUT many people sweat and toil over beautiful details and attention to detail. Get to camp and pull over a toilet tent or reverse into a house tent. I just wanted more.

Well said, it is a challenge to find a complementing arrangement to keep off rain and bugs or provide that privacy inherently lacking in a TD while not detracting from the uniqueness of its shape or theme. Clive you have done a great job meeting that challenge.

Well I was looking for simplicity when I designed my room addition. A place to be able to stand (well almost) and change cloths, place for the port-a-potty, and a place to sit and watch the rain. And the best thing is it goes up in less than two minutes by myself.

The wife is starting to like the idea of Gage,s very much now... simpicity she says... also that Im getting too technical... :o :o Gage it goes to show that you have a way with women... :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

Classic Finn

PS here is one that I guess is used by Tab..

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Laredo » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:22 pm

I like the way Gage's sets up and spreads out a living room ... and yet ... I'm a sucker for following the curve of the TD itself.

Heikki, those purple anodized poles -- are they shock-corded thru the middles?
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion