Will a car battery do the job?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby brian_bp » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:27 pm

The photos are great! I don't have any issues with the way any of them are labeled.

The first (Marine Master) is clearly a starting battery, and says so. "Marine" might mean it has improved vibration resistance, but the fact that it has nothing to do with deep cycle performance is a good reason to ignore the "marine" term.

The second (EverStart) is also quite clearly labeled as a deep cycle battery. The "start" is just in the brand name, not a surprising choice for a line of batteries! I suspect the warranty has a lot more to do with price than actual construction... like the old Chrysler 7-year warranty, which was them buying a belief that their cars might actually be any good.

The final example (NAPA DP) is also very clearly labeled as a hybrid or compromise. Right on the sticker it says (with my addition of bolding for emphasis)
Designed to provide heavy-duty starting power AND moderate deep cycle service
How much more clear can they be?

I agree about the choice - look for a straight deep cycle battery, or an AGM dual-purpose (they handle high current so well that it doesn't compromise their deep-cycle ability as much as a flooded-cell design).
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ira » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:38 am

brian_bp wrote: cycle performance is a good reason to ignore the "marine" term.

The second (EverStart) is also quite clearly labeled as a deep cycle battery. The "start" is just in the brand name, not a surprising choice for a line of batteries! I suspect the warranty has a lot more to do with price than actual construction...

Bingo:

I got the EverStart one at WM, but the one I bought has a 2-year warranty. They sell different grades.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby len19070 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:40 pm

The one thing I didn't mention was that ALL of these batteries were taken out of RV's by people who remind me every time I see them that they have been camping for "Years" and know what there doing.

All of these batteries were being used where a Deep Cycle should have been.

Since my origional post I have had 2 others come in with the wrong batteries.

len19070 wrote:KNOW WHAT YOU NEED.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Joseph » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:16 am

Most of the original (1930s & 40's) teardrops ran off the car battery. But they only ran one light, maybe two, and the car had a manual transmission so if the battery went dead they could push start it.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Gerdo » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:42 pm

I'm sure that everyone has gathered that a deep cycle battery is best. Also you can buy a Deep cycle for about the same price as a car starting battery. I got mine at Wal*Mart also. They carry 3 different sizes/amp hour/price. You should be able to find one to fit your needs. Granted there are better batteries out there, golf cart etc, that have higher AH but the WM batteries are cheap! I also have a charge line from my Tow Vehicle to recharge when driving.

With that said. If you have a spare car battery sitting around collecting dust I would use it untill it dies. Deep discharging a car battery is hard on it.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion