Generator & AC

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby asianflava » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:00 pm

Arne wrote:It would be interesting to try a circular foam wall around a noisy generator... the foam would block the direct noise, and absorb some, and direct the rest upward... It would be easy to roll up and carry.. well, not THAT easy, but doable....

A similar effect would be to put the generator in a depression in the ground (and hope it doesn't rain). When I'd run my nitro powered r/c monster truck, it was so much quieter when driving down in a ditch. I still had line of sight but it was so much quieter, because most of the sound was directed upwards and not reflected on everything else.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby dhazard » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:59 pm

I picked up a 1200 Watt / 1500 peak generator for $199 from Kragen. It can run a 5000 btu window shaker or my small microwave. It’s a little quieter than a lawn mower but not much. If you are interested check this out.

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=14522
ImageImageImage
Many miles and many tears. Times were hard but now they're changing.
You should know that I'm not afraid.
dhazard
Donating Member

Postby steve wolverton » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:39 pm

madjack wrote:sportsmansguide.com sells a 2000W "camping" generator for 200 bucks

Holy crap, they sure do! Thanks for the info Madjack. I think I might get that one. It can't be louder than the train tracks I used to live near. ;)
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:48 pm

Steve, I read some review on that unit at a RV forum and they were pretty pleased with it...it is sold under many different names but it is imported by Buffalo Tools from the ELIM company in China and repair parts are supposedly available for it(if needed)...I believe it is even legal in California.....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Ira » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:55 pm

No way would I get anything but one of the quiet Hondas or Kipor/other "clones":

When I had my property near Big Cypress, I had a roll-around Crafstmen generator. 2500, I think. (Sold it long ago.) I had the thing 100, 200 feet away--and the noise was STILL ridiculous when you consider that you're going to a site to camp and relax.

And you want to hear that noise in the background? Even if it's WAY in the background?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby steve wolverton » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:09 pm

Ira wrote:And you want to hear that noise in the background? Even if it's WAY in the background?

I doubt I'd hear it. I have an AC and I run a fan. I cannot sleep if it's quiet - I must have white noise or the voices in my head get too loud.

I have an SPL meter and I'll note what my dB's are in the camper with the AC and fan running. I cannot hear cars driving by the driveway, kids playing, or dogs barking when I'm running everything. I'm just cool like that. 8)

As for the noise - I'd never use something like this next to other campers. *NEVER* Then again, I'd never take a barking dog, yelling kids, cursing drunken wife, or loping diesel pickup and cruise the campground at 3:00AM either.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tim & Lori » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:09 pm

We've had a 3K Kipor (Honda clone) for 3 years now and love it!! If you shop around, you can find some great deals on them. From what I understand, Kipor is the number 2 selling generator in the world behind Honda and considerably less expensive. Just as quiet, too!!
won't be long now....
Tim & Lori
Teardrop Advisor

Postby asianflava » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:52 pm

steve wolverton wrote:I have an SPL meter and I'll note what my dB's are in the camper with the AC and fan running.

You shouldn't have said that, they were busting my balls because I happened to have one at IRG, it did double duty as an applause-o-meter. Actually, I brought it specifically to measure the noise of the different generators. It was purely a non scientific test but more accurate than using your ear.

I measured the generators at idle an arm's length (my arm) away from the muffler exit. Measuring the same distance from the same place gave some consistency to the test but there are other variables that I couldn't account for, like the placement relative to other objects. The noise reflected off other objects can really affect the results.

Oh so you want results? Well, I don't remember specific numbers but the 2000W Kipor was a 2 or 3 10ths of a db louder than the Honda of equal size. That is a pretty negligible number considering the samples weren't measured exactly the same way. To my surprise, Dean's 3000W Honda was a couple db louder. Before I tested it, I thought it would be quieter, but since it was a lower frequency, it didn't seem as loud.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion