galley re-dudux

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

galley re-dudux

Postby Jiminsav » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:57 pm

Welp..i've pondered it all week..and I've decided that I'm going to take a sawz-all to the galley and hack it off and rebuild the ass end from the rails up..thats the only solution i have to wavy walls and lid thats not going to fit tight..
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:28 pm

Hey Jim,

That's pretty radical. Are you sure that's the only way. I kinda wish I was there in person to see it. Maybe I should send someone to see it. Frank, are you around? LOL :lol:

What if you were to glue an oak board into the inside of the hatch side wall. It's possible it could straighten it a little. I use that trick on warped cabinet doors.

Just trying to save you rebuilding your whole teardrop!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Jiminsav » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:34 pm

Mike, i've tried everything to pull this mess straight, without much success..and I'm not really building the whole tear, just the back end..i'll saw it down the line thats formed by the back bulkhead wall..in fact, I think it will improve the astetics..and for gods sake, don't tell Larry over in the other forum.. :lol:
Jim in Savannah
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby beverlyt » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:04 pm

Jim,
Sorry to hear about your galley/hatch. We have also had more trouble than we had hoped for.....
We still don't have it done... the aluminum is too thick of a grade and we're not happy with the looks of it..had to beat it half to death to get the hatch bend.
We've also had to put some extra wood here and there underneath in a place or two. Fits perfect in one spot..not so perfect in another.
Ughhhh.
Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Jiminsav » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:08 pm

Bev..it's a good thing we're persistent boogers..ain't it.. :lol:
some other folks would give up and buy a trailer..which i'd consider if i was a wealthier man.. 8)
Jim in Savannah
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Gage » Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:27 am

"and for gods sake, don't tell Larry over in the other forum.. "

Jim, you forgot to say please 8)

Have a good day,
Gage
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Joseph » Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:38 am

Jiminsav wrote:some other folks would give up and buy a trailer..

Don't think THAT thought hasn't crossed my mind!! :banghead:

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Frank » Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:47 pm

Hi Jim,
You are about 3 hours from here, be glad to come down, was just going to take it easy this weekend, got a bad knee and was going to give it a rest.
Haven't been to Savanna in about 12 years, have an old friend that lives there and went down for St. Patricks Day. What a blast that is!!!
Frank
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby Chip » Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:32 pm

ya'll getting me worried bout the hatch,,so much so I am thinking bout building the hatch lid first ant then building the TD around it,,,at least it will fit then,,,well it suppose to anyway,,,maybe thats the answer to this fitting deal
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:38 pm

Hey Frank,

Are you going to go down to Savanna with your $.02 to give to Jim?

I was thinking, ever so briefly, about cutting off the galley of a teardrop. What kind of a joint would you use to re-connect the new galley? I was thinking maybe just a simple butt joint, but put a 1x6 on the inside wall, and drive screws in through both the old wall and the new wall. Does that make sense, or should I make a sketch? And would something like that work? Seems to me it would, as long as you keep the 1x6 below the hatch itself!

Mike...

Frank wrote:You are about 3 hours from here,
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby BufordT » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:18 pm

I think Jim is just talking about taking off the curve on the back side a littel on each side of the tear to get the hatch to fit. He's fitting the side to the hatch he's already made.

Am I right Jim.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby BufordT » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:20 pm

I'll be about an hour and a half from you this weekend. Don't know what good that will do as I've never built that kind of a hatch before.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:23 pm

Hey Jim,

Get the ole carrot out! You'd have company from the north and from the south! It's amazing what you can come up with if you get 3 tearheads together. Just gotta make sure you have the right carrot! :grab:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Frank » Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:30 pm

What Jim is talking about doing is what I'm doing. Due to the fact that I could not find 5'X12' plywood. Here is a picture (if it comes thru) of the rear galley side wall.
And yes Mike, I was going to frame with 1"X2"'s with the exception of that joint and use a 1"X4" there and glue the daylights out of it with screws also.
Sorry, can't figure out how to put a picture in here.
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:35 pm

Frank,

The easiest way to get a picture on here, if it's not on the web, is to upload it to your personal gallery, and then just give us a link to it. To get to your personal gallery, click on
Album -> Your Personal Gallery -> Upload Pic

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion