It's time for a new Generic Standy Design...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby fornesto » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:50 pm

7' tall, 12' long, 6'6" wide. The porta pottie hides under the far bench and there would be two curtains that are drawn out - one against the fold out couch, the other against the dinette bed. This provides a) privacy for those beds for changing, etc. and b) allows somebody to use the can with some privacy while others may be sleeping. Guess which side your head goes on.

fornesto
Donating Member

Postby steve wolverton » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:59 pm

SaGR wrote:I think KJ hit the spot there :)

I agree - V nose is probably the term I wanted. :)
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby angib » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:53 pm

apratt wrote:How about canned ham. 8)

Yeah - "Generic Spamby"

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby apratt » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:03 pm

angib wrote:
apratt wrote:How about canned ham. 8)

Yeah - "Generic Spamby"

Andrew

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby packerz4 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:09 pm

o yeah, the first thing i did when i got my TTT is tear out the 2 burner stove and microwave that was in it. with the smells and grease and clean up of cooking i didn't want that in my sleeping area.

i like the outside back galley idea, or side table under an awning. you could always design an awning that came off the back to cover the galley, making the galley doors open like a cupboard, and not a hatch. if the weather is too bad or too buggy to cook, i just make a sandwich or have a bowl of cereal, and go inside and nap.

i really like the idea of not cooking inside and saving the space and mess.

my $.02

tk
:thinking:
~ Go Packers! ~
www.2bagalot.com
packerz4
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:19 pm

You could always do something like this...

Mike...

Elumia wrote:problem with a pass thru galley is - if you design for proper inside counter height it is too tall for outside and vice versa.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Watch out for too wide

Postby Guy » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:46 pm

Dear All,

The TD4V is 77" wide and I for one will never build that width again. It is just simply too wide for simple cruising. I would not go over six feet for the side width of the walls. The tires can stick out further. The reason for this is the extra width really makes it wider than most stock car mirrors can handle.

I really miss having a great rear view, even though I can get additional mirrors. I know many members are truckers and they are used to that, and blindspots, but many of us are not.

Below is a pick of the TD4V prototype after the Dam, and just entering the Redwood Curtain to see Dean, Joanie, and Kevin.

As you can see, my tow vehicle is as wide as you can get. Furthermore my tear is 59" tall, 77"wide x 147" Long. Total length of frame and tear is 15"6".

I have a Thetford Porta-Potty inside, which serves as the sit down shower seat. In a 36x36 bath area with a 36" closet. For Cooking Indoors, if necessary, I have access to the microwave, cooler and Coleman Hot WATER ON Demand system.

One thing I am very happy with is the height. It is not stand up for me but it certainly is what I have called a really "comfortable bend" . I can dress "standing up."
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:20 am

tk,

I didn't mention, but it's because we might move. If we decide to buy a new house, we'll be in a holding pattern for a couple months.

Mike...

packerz4 wrote:I didn't notice, why can't you build for a few months? i'll go back and read the entire thread when i get home.

:applause:
tk
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Geron » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:35 am

I'm with those for NO inside cooking. Sold our Aliner because we never used the inside galley -- we owned it for almost 5 years. Cooked french toast for the grandkids once and boiled water for coffee once. Total waste of space for us. Would have appreciated a sit down shower/toilet far more than the galley.

If we cooked while camping (which we don't) it'd be in DO's and Ona Grill--Of course, Outside.
Keep the plans coming. I'm looking at NO. 3 ;)

g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:56 am

Keep the plans coming? :? Okay, here's where I'm at right now...

The galley is back in the rear (outside only)
large bathroom inside, with room at the front for a coffee pot and a bathroom sink. (In an emergency you could make a sandwich on the countertop where the coffeepot is.)
and of course the bed/dinette... the trailer is still 72" wide, and the bed is a king sized bed. The dinette can seat 4.

the shape still needs some work, an it's too tall to fit in my garage, but it should fit in the average garage. (My garage door is only 6 1/2'.)

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:15 am

As usual I'm late getting in on these threads. Some thoughts on the bolt together frame. I use to build Kenworth trucks and the frames were bolted together on them but they were also gusseted at the cross members. If you cam find a metal fab shop with a large break they can make u-channel out of what ever gage metal you need. I've seen some smaller commerial rigs with 3 x 6 u-channel frames made from what looks like 14 gage metal with weight lightening holes punched in the 6" part. Just a thought.
GAry
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby riverfront » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:48 pm

Mike! Like the latest drawing.
Where will you install the window shaker?
How high off the floor is the bed/seat platform?
Will the drop floor only be where you walk or sit and how much of a drop below the frame or main floor?
Bruce
riverfront
Teardrop Master

Postby karch67 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:09 pm

Karch,

I've always liked your design. How long is it? (The CAD file is at home.)

Mike...

Thanks Mike - that design was 12' long, 81.3" high, 76" wide. 69.3" of headroom in the dropped floor and was designed on a stretched TSC chassis.

karch67
Teardrop Builder

Postby fornesto » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:15 pm

I really like these plans. You might call them "rainy day" plans. Anybody caught in an all-day thunderstorm while camping can appreciate this. I'm picturing sitting around a nice little table playing Yahtzee with the kids. Two way cupboards from the galley could be nice to help with nighttime snacks, etc.
fornesto
Donating Member

Postby steve wolverton » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:19 pm

karch67 wrote:Image

I like this one. Is that a small bathroom opposite the entrance?
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion