It's time for a new Generic Standy Design...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:36 pm

Karch's trailer design is very nice. It's a pretty tough act to follow, I'll agree. What makes that trailer work is the width... it must be like 78" or so...

If you shrink it to 72" so you can see around it while you are towing, then the bed has go be rotated 90 degrees.

But you definitely get a lot in a small package, no matter which width you build.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby karch67 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:41 pm

I like this one. Is that a small bathroom opposite the entrance?

Yes - the bathroom is about 32 x 24, what size is the one on your Puffin and how do you fit in it?[/quote]
karch67
Teardrop Builder

Postby steve wolverton » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:00 pm

karch67 wrote:Yes - the bathroom is about 32 x 24, what size is the one on your Puffin and how do you fit in it?

The Puffin bathroom is 30 x 36 x 64" tall. The door is 18" wide x 62" tall. I fit in it very carefully. I just have to mind my head. :D
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby riverfront » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:54 pm

How are most of these bathrooms vented?

Luvers at the bottom of the door and a computer fan out the back?
Bruce
riverfront
Teardrop Master

Postby steve wolverton » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:02 pm

riverfront wrote:How are most of these bathrooms vented?

I have a louvered vent at the bottom and I just installed a 110volt house bathroom exhaust fan.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ken A Hood » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:41 pm

So what you you you design for this base..... :D

Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:06 pm

Ken,

That would make a nice teardrop standy!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby caseydog » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:32 pm

mikeschn wrote:You could always do something like this...

Mike...

Elumia wrote:problem with a pass thru galley is - if you design for proper inside counter height it is too tall for outside and vice versa.

Hmmmm. I like the concept -- but is she for sale?

CD :D

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:38 pm

mikeschn wrote:Keep the plans coming? :? Okay, here's where I'm at right now...
Mike...

I like it, but the rear hatch at 69" would be just right for samacking the upper edge of my forehead.

My current TD has a latch on the hatch (sam I am) that is at that same level, and I bump it regularly. Very annoying.

Unless you want to warn your 70" tall frineds to duck all the time, you may want to take a little off of that hatch or make it open further.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby steve wolverton » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:45 pm

caseydog wrote:Hmmmm. I like the concept -- but is she for sale?

I thought it was a dude.

Not diggin' the mommy haircut. :thumbdown: :lol:
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:48 am

Here's an idea for a door behind the wheel standy, using a stretched raven argonette profile...

This gives us an option...

We can combine the bathroom and the galley, making the trailer shorter.

We can access the galley from inside...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:13 am

Mike , this is just the kind of Bugout we've been looking for ...As you know, the folks in this area had to spend a month or more away from their "stationary" homes... Great deal of people on the road , competing for food /gas /ice/water/everything... The ones who did the best were prepared... most had to live with friends in other places, and as you know after three days, guests, like fish , begin to stink .... imagine a month or more.... resulting stress has had the survivors in therapy for the last almost two years now... :?

We immediately built a Big Bugout Teardrop 6'x12' according to the information generously provided here on the Forum... (ManyMany Thanks to all!!!) Having something like this immediately made everyone concerned feel so much better about having a tiny rolling bit of PRIVACY....
However, now , it's another season and the wife wants even MORE .... A REAL Bathroom ...toilet , shower,tiny sink, mirror...It has been hinted that she would like to purchase same , but having built one TD , a bigger trailer would not be difficult.... besides , I've built "stuff" all my life... (experienced wood/metal/composites) so believe I can turn out a superior/more comfortable trailer for less bucks ... We don't need fancy cabinet works /trim... we do need space and practicality... everywhere we can get ... One thing that can be omitted is the idea of a full kitchen ... Just a small cabinet and fold out counter should do fine for housing a small microwave, propane stove, small electric burner, and a few dishes and tools ... for dishwashing , we have a bucket for outside... if it's raining , that much better. Most of our cooking will be done either on a small hibachi outside, or one of my solar cookers...which I may add can be improvised on the spot. On rainy days , it'll be salads and sandwiches.. Been practing alternative outside cooking, am getting quite good at it and feel prepared to spend some time away , without losing twenty pounds like last time ... Things were tough !!! :shock:
Searched all of the old larger vintage trailer plans ... most seemed to omit the most requested feature(bathroom/shower) Didn't realize that this thread had started (never ventured beyond the construction threads , my dumb)... I'm very very interested in what comes out here...and will most likely build what develops... If I can be of any help at all , I'm ready.
May I suggest using a boat trailer instead of a HF boltie'... The newer 4 wheel trailers should more than adequately support the weight of much bigger/heavier shells , and yet pull very smoothly ...Since the Hurricane , many boats blew away , used for evacuation , or looted, leaving many abandoned and used trailers of all sorts for sale ...cheap... many in perfect shape (not flooded)... Just an idea to provide a strong base for a bigger "camper" Worked great for the Big Bugout , if maybe a bit too sturdy ,, and a little heavy.. certainly strong enough for most anything... crumbs for thought...

:thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:23 pm

For height I am wondering about a pop top something like a VW Camper Van. I lived for 6 weeks in a 1974 VW and several 2 week trips in the wee beasty. Would not be to hard to build an inverted tub. Hinge on end over the beds and the end over the living space goes up 1-2 feet. My 2 cents. :thinking:
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Larry Messaros » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:50 am

mikeschn wrote:Karch's trailer design is very nice. It's a pretty tough act to follow, I'll agree. What makes that trailer work is the width... it must be like 78" or so...

If you shrink it to 72" so you can see around it while you are towing, then the bed has go be rotated 90 degrees.

But you definitely get a lot in a small package, no matter which width you build.

Mike...

Just a thought

I found that, even though I am 6 feet, my camper was very comfortable at about 70" inside. I never sleep fully stretched out.
Larry Messaros
:snow
Cariboo Country: If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes!
Larry Messaros
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Larry Messaros » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:17 am

Some of the ideas being discussed are great. Quite a lot of them have been used in both the Boler and Scotty. Here's a pic of mine. I'm not sure of the exact measurements, but if you guys are interested, I'd measure it up tomorrow.

Surprisingly, even though it looks short, I can comfortably stand up in the small space where the dropped floor is.

Joseph has some great pictures of his Scotty here.

If you wish to have an outdoor kitchen, how about a drawer slide counter that you would pull out? Just a thought.
Larry Messaros
:snow
Cariboo Country: If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes!
Larry Messaros
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion