It's time for a new Generic Standy Design...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby GPW » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:54 am

After trying out the bigger 19' trailer, we've come to some basic conclusions... Toilets are good (simpler the better)... The shower was never used... there has always been someplace to take a shower elsewhere...
Cooking should be done Outside !!! Otherwise the smell stinks up the interior , and cooking vapors may eventually require extensive wall cleaning.. :o
AC is important in the South... A fan is Nice too.. !!!
A good coffee machine is a necessity , and an ice chest ..and bottled water...
All those cabinets are unnecessary , just places to store junk that is seldom used... and extra weight...
Planning prior to the trip will reveal all the gear that might be necessary.. eliminating carrying everything you own ...
Small things add up quickly ... weight wise ... Weighing all your equipment before hand will give you a quick estimate of the load... just like airplanes do...

Basically ,as Mike's new design shows, the Simpler the better... :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:29 pm

GPW wrote:After trying out the bigger 19' trailer, we've come to some basic conclusions... Toilets are good (simpler the better)... The shower was never used... there has always been someplace to take a shower elsewhere...
Cooking should be done Outside !!! Otherwise the smell stinks up the interior , and cooking vapors may eventually require extensive wall cleaning.. :o
AC is important in the South... A fan is Nice too.. !!!
A good coffee machine is a necessity , and an ice chest ..and bottled water...
All those cabinets are unnecessary , just places to store junk that is seldom used... and extra weight...
Planning prior to the trip will reveal all the gear that might be necessary.. eliminating carrying everything you own ...
Small things add up quickly ... weight wise ... Weighing all your equipment before hand will give you a quick estimate of the load... just like airplanes do...

Basically ,as Mike's new design shows, the Simpler the better... :thumbsup:

Good thoughts here...

So we're not talking about evacuating the house any more, are we? Just a place to sleep, with a galley and a porta potty?

So do you think a Generic ET, or some version of that would work?

Mike...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:16 pm

Evac has been planned for ... turns out thats a "special occasion"... Now I just want something to go visit friends out of town, or go to the beach .. And have a base of operations when I go on the road to teach ...
Generic ET would be perfect .... :thumbsup:
Dragging the 19 footer around is like Work ... just too big for FUN use ...
The only thing I'm thinking of is a square back/galley to eliminate those leaky hatches .. In our overly wet clime the standard TD was Always getting water in somehow despite flaps ,seals, etc... Regular back doors with a slight overhang would easily prevent all that... Classic rounded front would still retain the "look" and aerodynamics... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:26 pm

Sounds like a plan!!! Go for it!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:10 pm

Alas Fearless Leader, the stars are not in proper alignment yet , but I'm sure the Galactic Princess will come around... I WILL have my Trailer !!!! :thumbsup: ...one day ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:24 pm

I shall wait patiently then, as long as you keep us informed from time to time, and let us know what the stars are doing! :thumbsup:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:58 am

I'm thinking spring time , when it gets a little bit warmer... and I find more work .. Got most of my parts scavenged... lots left over from the last TD build .. ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:19 am

Out here in California trailers do not rust as fast. I will try and down load some photo's of old standies I photographed locally. There use to be a collector of them in san luis obispo ca. at a Uhaul storage I will see if he still has them there.

We are talking ones about the length of a vw bug.
there are many that look like this
http://zoomcart.com/members/restoration/cover.gif

one is the aristocrat many here inventer from Gilroy, ca which is a little bigger like the lenth of a honda element
http://www.freewebs.com/aristocrattrail ... 20141%20(2).jpg

trailers of the old design with silver skins but much bigger there are 2 on in Atasacadero, ca licensed 2 axel 2 doors and one in San luis Obispo, ca 3 axel 2 door looks like inside could need work. they look like this one which is smaller.
http://vintagecampers.com/WantedImgUplo ... esAero.jpg

and just outside of templeton,ca on the Paso Robles side in a feild sits an old one with a sway back not sure if it has wheels but out of the maybe 30's green windows intact. Looking for the right angle to shoot it.

Outside Atascadero is a trailer with a front window that is a ledge looking looks like maybe the 50's a 1958 ford sadan sits in the yard too.

If you are ever in the area of California look up Car shows they are every where custom rods to vintage cars and sometime a old Teardrop or trailers salesmans trailer will be there too.
Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Check it out

Postby Steve L » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:48 am

All the criteria mentioned in this chain can be found in the Campfire or Scotty Pup manufactured by Sierra. They have two floorplans and are top notch in terms of build quality. While they don't have an inside shower, there is an outside cowboy shower that we use with a small porta potty tent . It works great for us and at 1350 lbs, this tiny travel trailer can be towed by many 4 cylinder cars including the Subaru Forester.

You can check them out at:

http://www.campfirecamper.com/

and

http://www.scottytrailers.com/pup.php

:)
Steve & Carol
Northeast PA
2011 Sierra Campfire 13B Custom
Steve L
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Lou Park » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:15 am

At $12,500, I might just entertain the idea of building my own.
Lou
Lou Park
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:08 am

Thinking (:roll: ) the real challenge here is to build a Standy that's DURABLE (weatherproof, little maintenance required), isn't too tall for comfortable towing (Drag) , doesn't weigh a Ton (literally) , and would fit most "normal" people ... I'm 75" tall which really throws a damper on most compact Standy plans... Thinking Wider may be better than Taller .. to a point ... Brings to mind the idea of a Pop up type device , but something you wouldn't need an Olympic weightlifter to open and close ... :o
As usual this will have to be a Big compromise for a Generic design... one size never fits all, but schmaybe' there can be accommodations for "stretching " the plans to fit the owner... ???

And it has to look Nice too ... 8)

Seems to be a big interest in Cargo Trailers lately , which fit most of these needs ...and are still affordable ... :thinking: ... and we still get to decorate ... 8) The new travel Trailers of this Century.... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Steve L » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:16 am

Lou Park wrote:At $12,500, I might just entertain the idea of building my own.
Lou

FYI, if you shop around, the actual price is much less than $12.5K :)
Steve & Carol
Northeast PA
2011 Sierra Campfire 13B Custom
Steve L
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:21 pm

GPW wrote:Thinking (:roll: ) the real challenge here is to build a Standy that's DURABLE (weatherproof, little maintenance required), isn't too tall for comfortable towing (Drag) , doesn't weigh a Ton (literally) , and would fit most "normal" people ... I'm 75" tall which really throws a damper on most compact Standy plans... Thinking Wider may be better than Taller .. to a point ... Brings to mind the idea of a Pop up type device , but something you wouldn't need an Olympic weightlifter to open and close ... :o
As usual this will have to be a Big compromise for a Generic design... one size never fits all, but schmaybe' there can be accommodations for "stretching " the plans to fit the owner... ???

And it has to look Nice too ... 8)

Seems to be a big interest in Cargo Trailers lately , which fit most of these needs ...and are still affordable ... :thinking: ... and we still get to decorate ... 8) The new travel Trailers of this Century.... ;)

My next build is going to be a Winter Warrior... with a porta potty.

Check out this thread...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:07 am

What thread??? Did I miss something ??? :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:10 pm

Opps...

try here: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=40615

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion