It's time for a new Generic Standy Design...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

New Design

Postby John Samarin » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:51 am

Do all these ideas come come from between 2 & 3 in the morning. I had a great idea at 1:30 this morning, but when I awoke it was gone! :thinking:
John Samarin
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BC Dave » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:53 am

Jiminsav wrote:hummm, the wheel is that small only because that's all I could import into Google sketch-up.. in real life, you can bet it will be a 15 inch wheel or better., as for tandem, I was hoping the trailer wouldn't weigh enough to need tandem axles.
I'm not really that good at sketch-up to fully envision what I see in the minds eye.

Most single axel Cargo Tr's are rated to 3000lbs GVW; my 6X10 is 1300 lbs, with 15 inch wheels, and GVW is 3000 (so I can carry a 1700 lb load) ... you should be able to do it no problem-o.
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby KDOG » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:10 am

mikeschn wrote:Here's a preliminary sketch... yes, it needs some work... that's why I posted it. Lets have some fun.

Mike...

I really like this one. Its' simple and has everything. The only thing I would do different is put a larger radius curve for the top front and possibly make the rear wall come up a little higher before the curve starts.
FAILURE TO PLAN ON YOUR PART DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART.
KDOG
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:45 am

Kdog,

If you're going to do that you might as well add a hatch on the back and have a real teardrop galley...

Mike...
Last edited by mikeschn on Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby KDOG » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:53 pm

I don't like the exterior galleys. I would want to maximize interior space. Just my opinion. :thumbsup:
FAILURE TO PLAN ON YOUR PART DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART.
KDOG
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:43 pm

KDOG wrote:I don't like the exterior galleys. I would want to maximize interior space. Just my opinion. :thumbsup:

Oh! :duh:

Well, in that case, the Generic Standy print that you dug up looks like it would be perfect for you. Similar to the Power Puff, and the Puffin as well.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby PaulC » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:04 pm

Hey!! Who's posting BIG pics in this thread? ;)

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:

PS Sorry Mike, I couldn't help myself :lol:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:46 pm

PaulC wrote:Hey!! Who's posting BIG pics in this thread? ;)

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:

PS Sorry Mike, I couldn't help myself :lol:

Is that better? I have adjusted the size of my picture to reflect sizing rules as they are expressed in the album section of this forum. :duh: :lol:
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby starleen2 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:19 pm

Certainly not a new design – but rather a scaling up and stretching of the Stubby to 10 ft and 5 feet high
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Noob » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:28 am

Little late to the party...

bdosborn wrote:Image

Is there anything accoss from the beds ? theres 7 ft there ...

You could turn the beds transverse, save a foot.

You vould turn just the lover bunk and take the countertop and storage under the top bunk, move the sink, where the countetop/storage was and save 2 feet ...

maybe even ad a pul out counter top just under the top bunk, so one can sit on the now turned lower bunk and have a tabble.

:thinking:
Bend the knees, watch the trees, 5$ please.
Noob
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:48 am

I was thinking that 7 feet was the "parlor/sitting room", couple of folding chairs (for those rainy days ).. Good idea about moving the sink to the other side and saving 2'... 10 footer is a lot easier to manage .. But the extra room might be nice if you have to live in it for a while... I made my drawings after coming back from a 5 week Katrina evacuation ... wish I would have had one of these... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Lou Park » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:58 pm

Noob wrote:Little late to the party...

bdosborn wrote:Image

Is there anything accoss from the beds ? theres 7 ft there ...

You could turn the beds transverse, save a foot.

You vould turn just the lover bunk and take the countertop and storage under the top bunk, move the sink, where the countetop/storage was and save 2 feet ...

maybe even ad a pul out counter top just under the top bunk, so one can sit on the now turned lower bunk and have a tabble.

:thinking:

Maybe it's just me, but with everything on just one side, those right hand turns better be slow.
Lou
Lou Park
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:48 am

All the goodies in the galley should make up for the weight on the left ...cast iron , water , food ,etc. ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:35 pm

Looking at this again... This is 6x12... very similar in length to the Generic ET aka Giant Teardrop. Your design seems a whole lot bigger and has a lot more bathroom type amenities than mine does. And you didn't even have to turn your beds sideways.

So do you have any plans to build one?

Have you ever tried to package this into a more traditional format, like the Scottys and Shastas? What was the result?

Did you ever give any thought to Air Conditioning? (And heat for us that live much further north? What about a generator, or a solar panel. Black water and gray water tanks?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:26 am

Ever since the wife bought a Jayco Feather Sport for hurricane evac, my TT building has been halted , but I still have a spare boat trailer in the yard awaiting a TD build (secretly gathering more parts ) ... my 12' TD was just fine for me , but I had to sell it to keep "her worship" happy !!! :roll: The above sketch was just one of many to explore the TT possibilities... I had planned a bag toilet , solar heated shower, built in AC as per the norm , and an electric milkhouse heater...AC plugged into camp site supply .. Solar DC (I even still have the panels) waiting... Not the most convenient but simple , and CHEAP :D
This was for Evac, for general traveling , I'd just go with a standard TD like everyone else .. :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion