It's time for a new Generic Standy Design...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby mikeschn » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:37 pm

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:
Mike, we're praying for you and all our brothers and sisters in Detroit. It IS gonna be ugly, and I pray that you and yours ride it out well, as well as all our Teardrop Community!

God Bless!

Thanks Cliff!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Sat May 30, 2009 5:51 am

Well, with Hurricane season only a day away , the need for an evac trailer makes this most important... Everybody ready with their new Standys ???? CU on the highway ... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat May 30, 2009 4:21 pm

Oh no...

man the hatches... ready with the buckets?

Let's hope all the teardroppers in hurricane country have things ready!

I put together a page many years ago that might give you guys some ideas...

http://www.mikenchell.com/weekender/bugout.html

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby KDOG » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:58 am

Anything new? I'm looking around for a trailer to buy so I can get started. I'm still working on a side profile.
FAILURE TO PLAN ON YOUR PART DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART.
KDOG
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:36 pm

Nope, have not done any design work on the generic standy lately... :(

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:42 am

Me either... :oops: Too late this season to start a standy build, so we're stuck with the big TT for another H season... Grrrrr!!!! The more we use the big TT, the more I wish for a smaller Simple Standy .... and the more I Hate(totally despise) RV dealers... :twisted: Sorry , I try not to hate anybody, but RV dealers are an exception..
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pete.wilson » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:06 pm

Hey

I can relate with the economy. I was laid-off on March 10 of 2009 and still have not found a decent paying job, and my wife has about 2-3 weeks left of her temporary job (2 months) then she is done. The house is in process of being forclosed, looking at bankruptcy, could'nt afford the cobra insurance from work and there is five of us. I worked for Garmin and my background is avionics (aircraft electronics) and nothing is happening in aviation except more layoff's. If this goes 6 more months, then I may have to get a couple of minimum wage jobs just to feed the family. Went from $66K yr. to zero in one day, $423 wk unemployment and $120 month food stamps. We are keeping the vehicles, utilities, auto insurance and that's about it. Sucks. I often wonder if it really would be this bad had gas not gone to $4 a gallon last year, I don't think it would have been personally. So much for building a trailer this year, and next year I will have to pay for the unemployment pay taxes.

Pete Wilson
Ottawa, KS
Why hasn't anyone found a dead bigfoot? When was the last time you found a dead deer, bear, coyote, fox, squirrel, etc. that died in the woods.........Hmmm.
pete.wilson
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:24 pm

Pete,

I wish I had an answer for the economy... expensive housing and expensive vehicles... if I did, I would have already implemented it... :(

I think that tiny houses offer some hope, but that doesn't work for everyone... and you have to be working, to even do that...

I feel for you, I really do...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:16 am

You'll recognize my Teepee with the TT and the bicycle in front... Shipping container for mass storage ... Good thing I live in the woods , far away from "Civilization"..... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jagular7 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:19 pm

Pete, FAA had couple job listings at the Olathe location (just down the street from Garmin). Take a look at USAjobs.gov for gov't jobs. Since you appear to be in electronics/avionitics, can you seek in a cellular environment?
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:02 pm

GPW wrote:Me either... :oops: Too late this season to start a standy build, so we're stuck with the big TT for another H season... Grrrrr!!!! The more we use the big TT, the more I wish for a smaller Simple Standy .... and the more I Hate(totally despise) RV dealers... :twisted: Sorry , I try not to hate anybody, but RV dealers are an exception..

Now that I've had a chance to use the Generic ET, I will say that it's very comfortable for two, plus two dogs. What it doesn't have is much in the way of storage. Plus mine ended up being a campground queen, meaning that you need 110v to use it. Also it doesn't have a shower, which you would need for anything more than a weekend.

If I were to do an evac trailer again, it would have a shower, run on 12v, and I would find a way to add lots of storage space, even if I had to make it 2 feet longer. The storage area could be right above the axle, accessable thru a door in the side wall.

What are your thoughts on that?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Dark Horse » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:20 pm

mikeschn wrote:If I were to do an evac trailer again, it would have a shower, run on 12v, and I would find a way to add lots of storage space, even if I had to make it 2 feet longer. The storage area could be right above the axle, accessable thru a door in the side wall.

What are your thoughts on that?

Mike...

I would have to agree with all your points here. For us 12v is a need, we tend to camp primitive more often then not.
There are several designs for all in one bathrooms where the Toilet is set into the shower pan. Granted most are used in commercial RVs, but I have seen them available for sale. Fabricating one wouldn't appear to be that difficult. That's what I'm looking at, utilizing a readily available pan, and building the rest around it. Water proof walls are not that hard to build, a Fogged/smoked/dark-tint Lexan door or curtain. I'm partial to the door simply due to water containment.
The location for a basement is pert near ideal, no loss of floor space, approach or departure angle.
Really like the Generic ETs design, its on the short list of ideas, the only thing I'm conteplating adding is a slide out, so we can fit 4 plus dogs.

Jim
I like anything that turns money into noise.
Dark Horse
Teardrop Master

Postby pete.wilson » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:23 pm

Hey

Thanks all for the suggestions and comments.

Mike,

How about some kind of trailer with a single rear door, A galley inside that also opens to the outside, and a dinette with a table that drops down to seat cushion height, so the whole thing becomes a queen size bed. Kind of a play on the Lil Diner theme. Key element would be storage space. I personally would like to build for four (I really have 5 of us). Use a 5X10 frame or even 6X10, or 6x12 frame. Any doable thoughts? :thinking:

Pete Wilson
Why hasn't anyone found a dead bigfoot? When was the last time you found a dead deer, bear, coyote, fox, squirrel, etc. that died in the woods.........Hmmm.
pete.wilson
The 300 Club

Postby TheDuke » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:32 pm

Take a look at Skeetr. Not for everyone, but you're welcome to any and all ideas you may find there. Good luck.

TheDuke
TheDuke
Teardrop Master

Postby pete.wilson » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:30 pm

Hey

Duke,

The Skeetr looks fairly close to what I had in mind; now I just need to make it off-road capable and maybe slightly longer to accomodate one more person + storage. Is that based on a 6' wide trailer? By how long? It looks like maybe 5X10 maybe. Thanks for the info.

Pete Wilson

P.S. I need something off-road, able to sleep 3 max. with good storage, all weather capable, so that it can be used for my bigfoot research and for family camping.
pete.wilson
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion