It's time for a new Generic Standy Design...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby Woody » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:53 am

I would take a departure from the norm ie. teardrop. There are plenty of designs for those. I still think something like a Shasta or Serro Scotty would fill the designs for those who prefer more space and standing room with a bathroom. That is what I am looking into now to apease my wife. I will never give up my teardrops though. But it would be nice to have as an alternative to use when my parents go along with us camping. Being older they deserve my "elbow room" than what is availble in a standard teardrop design. I would design it however with the cooking done out side the unit to maximize interior space for other ammenities
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby karch67 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:04 am

Sounds pretty close to what I would like to build, let me throw some dimensions on to these requirements and see if others agree:

Ability to stand up inside it. - 6'3" headroom in shower and cooking area
Ability to cook inside - 2 burner stove, sink
Ability to go potty inside - 24" x 32" enclosure
Ability to take a shower inside - 24" x 32" enclosure (could remove toilet)
Ability to use a bolt together trailer - probably cheaper to fabricate at this size
Ability to sit and eat inside - seating for 4
Simple construction
Lightweight - 1500lbs
Can be towed with a medium sized car
Adequate storage

I would want something that sleeps 4, for a generic design would it sleep 2?

Here is a link to a previous design I put together w/o indoor cooking: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=14716
karch67
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:05 am

Here's a preliminary sketch... yes, it needs some work... that's why I posted it. Lets have some fun.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby MrBuzz » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:22 am

Hey...need another opinion? Are you sure you are going the right direction with your "need to have's vs. your nice to have's"
The ability to stand up and cook, potty,shower inside are very space and weight inefficient. Also the build time and expense must go up exponentially as you build taller. As you go bigger it's hard to do a better job, at less cost than existing trailers.
The frame and floor would also have to be built stronger when you add walkways. With a TD you the frame/crossmembers/floor assembly are never stressed to a high degree because you are just sitting/sliding your weight across a mattress vs. a stand-up where the complete weight of a person is shifted to one foot while walking or standing. It would be a major consideration in design so that the floor doesn't end up sagging under the weight of repeated use.
The galley / kitchen in the back is a huge drawing card...it's usually the first thing I have to show people when they stop me at gas stations or campgrounds. If everybody likes it why move it inside where you have to stand over a stove, smelling up the interior with sauerkraut (for the brats over course)? Loading and clean-up is also a big reason to leave the galley in the rear.
With gas prices going nuts and presumably never coming down a design like the TD; being small, compact and efficient has many advantages.
From what a lot of TD builders and questions newbie's have asked it seems like most would like a 5 foot wide TD on a bolt-together trailer that is lightweight, uses standard building materials and is easy to build.
Extra storage would be welcome too. I tow it with a P/T Cruiser so I have space in the car for extra gear. If I towed it with a sedan or smaller car I would have to haul more in the trailer.
Generic Benroy - built 2007, 4X8, 1175 HF trailer, Structoglass roof and headliner, 12v and 110v electrics with Schumacher charger.
MrBuzz
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:42 am

...a couple(orso) of mad thoughts...
1) DO NOT make it look like a Benroy...do something different

2) a Shasta/Scotty design would be best...keep in mind we have a couple of those already...the Widget(I love that profile) and the 12' rear door Scotty..oh and lets not forget the Squidget or the Puffin

3) although I am 6'2, I would like to see it be no more than 6' from ground to top...

4) the only bolt together frame I have seen that would qualify even remotely for this exercise would be the 5x10 teardrop frame from RedTrailers...it is rated at 2k but for what it costs, you could have one built for about the same money...or less...definitely go with the 5on4.5 hubs...especially since this sucker will probably need brakes to be safe to tow anywhere but Kansas

5) provisions for an outdoor kitchen...nothing inside except a shelf/counter that could hold a coffe pot or small micro

6) provisions for either a 2k gennie or an 85 watt solar panel with a complete AC/DC electrical system

7) the skins should be similar to what we are already using...an epoxy/paint combo, some form of FRP or RV style Aluminum sheeting...so far my research has not turned a plastic that I would consider truly usable because of UV and thermal characteristics

8 ) A C and heat along with a water heater(6gal RV type)...on a larger standy, room could be had for a 3way RV fridge

madjack 8)
Last edited by madjack on Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby steve wolverton » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:43 am

Hi,

MrBuzz wrote:The ability to stand up and cook, potty,shower inside are very space and weight inefficient. Also the build time and expense must go up exponentially as you build taller. As you go bigger it's hard to do a better job, at less cost than existing trailers.

You bring up a lot of good points MrBuzz, but a tear and tiny travel trailer are two different animals.

MrBuzz wrote:The galley / kitchen in the back is a huge drawing card...it's usually the first thing I have to show people when they stop me at gas stations or campgrounds. If everybody likes it why move it inside where you have to stand over a stove, smelling up the interior with sauerkraut (for the brats over course)? Loading and clean-up is also a big reason to leave the galley in the rear.

The tear has its niche, and the tiny trailer fills its own. The outside galley on a tear is great, it's one of the best things about the tears, but they're worthless in the rain. Well, you can have an EZ-up tent setup, but then you're departing from the quick setup time which is an argument most people use for wanting tears. By the time you get your tear setup with awnings, carpets, etc. - I'm already biking, cooking, or napping. ;)

Sometimes it's nice to wake up on those cold mornings and get some coffee going (I don't drink it but I love the smell) and make waffles while still in boxers.

As for conveniece, I have to agree with you that the kitchen in the back of the tear is where it's at. It's hard to beat that. (Unless it's raining, cold, too hot, buggy, etc.) ;)

As for the inside kitchen, well I've camped 30+ nights in my camper and I have not cooked inside it once. Not one time have I prepared a meal inside. I've always been able to cook outside, but I *can* cook inside. That is not available in a tear. One of my favorite mods that I stole from the tear crowd is the outside table that attaches to the camper. I have a 2' x 4' table that I do all my cooking on.

MrBuzz wrote:With gas prices going nuts and presumably never coming down a design like the TD; being small, compact and efficient has many advantages.

I think the gas argument isn't a valid argument. One could take it to the next level and say that if you really want to save on fuel, then don't camp at all - just stay home. It's recreation, and we find budget accordingly.

Would I like to have the same mileage I'd get from a 500 pound tear - sure. Would I have another 500 pound tear just to save $5 per fillup on gas - I wouldn't even consider it.

MrBuzz wrote:If I towed it with a sedan or smaller car I would have to haul more in the trailer.

You can haul more in the trailer when you have a bed to place things under, seats you can store things under, etc.

You make some good points, but many people want a tiny trailer too. I've had both, and my current setup fits my needs better. Now if you want to talk about making larger tears (which is where the majority of new builders seem to be going - not many 4' wide anymore) then I've got some cool ideas. :twisted:
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:47 am

madjack wrote:2) a Shasta/Scotty design would be best...keep in mind we have a couple of those already...the Widget(I love that profile) and the 12' rear door Scotty..oh and lets not forget the Squidget

What I don't understand about the T@B is why they don't incorporate a dropped floor? I love the profile, but I'd never buy a trailer (assuming I could afford it, which I can't) that I couldn't stand in. The T@B has 5'9" of headroom - the average man is 5'10" now.
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:54 am

Steve,

the Tidget is a shrunken T@B with a dropped floor.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:58 am

and the tidget can be stretched to include a full time bed, and a full time table for 2, AND permanently mounted air conditioning...

Mike...

P.S. Should a hurricane evacuation trailer have an outside galley in the rear?
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:07 pm

...maybe some of the gulf coast people can chime in but if you are evacuating a disaster, you are gonna have as much of your "stuff" crammed into it as you can carry and it will become a cargo trailer...I think, keep the outside galley for your main cooking with that shelf/counter on the inside for a coffee pot/micro...keep in mind that a total "bugout" unit versus a camping standy are two different animals...or at least will be used in two totally seperate ways........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:17 pm

I'd like to combine both concepts into one TTT. (No one ever said this was going to be easy.)

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby fornesto » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:18 pm

A couple of interesting dimensions for everybody. A standard garage door opening is 7'. A typical porta potti is 15" cubed. I would always like to be able to store or work on the trailer in the garage and at less than 7', you can do that.

As far as inside vs. outside trailer, why not incorporate both? - a rear galley that is partially accessible from the inside via a pass-through.

For me, this trailer would be more of a "crouchy" or a "ducky" vs. a "standy", but I get the point.
fornesto
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:34 pm

If you put a galley in the back, the shortest ttt you can make is 13' long.

2' galley
7' bed
2' door
2' inside counter
=========
13' total

Unless you sleep across the trailer... and climb over your partner...
2' galley
5' bed
2' door
2' inside counter
=========
11' total
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby del » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:36 pm

Mike on the bolt together frame, does it have to be a purchased kit? I seem to remember someone bolting together a home made one, then it could be any size you wanted.

just my 2c

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:37 pm

Karch,

I've always liked your design. How long is it? (The CAD file is at home.)

Mike...

karch67 wrote:
Here is a link to a previous design I put together w/o indoor cooking: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=14716
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion