Please vote for your favorite Generic Standy

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

What is your first choice for a Generic Standy design?

Choice A: Door in front of wheel & bathroom
44%
Choice B: Galley under the bed
4%
Choice C: Door behind the wheel & bathroom (inside & outside access to galley)
13%
Choice D: Reach thru galley while sitting
14%
Choice E: Galley plus sleeping for 4 & bathroom
13%
Choice F: T@B clone with hatch, dropped floor & bathroom
12%

Total votes : 150

Postby Kankujoe » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:18 pm

I voted for D although the more I look at the floor plan I'd go with A. Too bad I can't go back & change my vote.

From all the plans I've seen so far on this forum I really would prefer to play with extending the WW/EH about 12-18 inches with a possible slide out of one side of the door a table/countertop mount on the opposite side as a walk through (wrap around) galley. An awning could jut out over the outside galley 3-6 feet. With this you could have a small inside galley, a larger outside galley & a porta potty indoors opposite to the inside galley.

Sorry for the temporary highjack...

All of the floor plans look nice but I think "A" is the my choice if I had to choose only one.
Last edited by Kankujoe on Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby Laredo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:21 pm

Voted for C, like the form / profile best; but want you to move A's coffee pot to C :D
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:30 am

LOL...

Steve, you are the reason we are all looking at standys... so I think that counts for something...

Mike...

steve wolverton wrote:Ok, this is so blatantly rigged as there is no option for the SP3000. (Super Puffin 3000)

*storms out of room*

Walks back in and votes.

*storms out of room again*
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby cuyeda » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:49 am

I voted for A which still retains a teardrop style profile. Having the bathroom and inside sink at opposite ends from the galley will need additional plumbing. Installation of fresh/grey/black water tank installation (if any) will need creative planning.

I am glad Mike started this thread.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby ARKPAT » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:09 am

Mike I liked both "A" and "D".
:)
But I can only vote for one. :oops: :cry:
I guess it will be "A" but I like both.
:thinking:

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:44 am

Let me ENCOURAGE EVERYONE to VOTE(doan make me come over there...in the dark)...for all of those who were not here as the Generic Benroy was developed, this is a serious couse in Td&TTT design...put your two cents in and help develop THE NEXT GREAT THING :D :thumbsup: :applause:
madjack 8)

p.s. for those who were here...you remember how much fun it was and how much we all learned from the exercise...so y'all be sure and vote as well.............MJ
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:01 am

Can someone explain to me why there is not very much interest in design C? I thought the galley being open to the inside AND the outside would make this ideal for a hurricane trailer, or a foul weather trailer. And the coffee pot can go where the stove is... and you can have a bathroom sink in that area too. Furthermore, it's easy to package in a 12' long trailer. Please enlighten me... :?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:27 am

mikeschn wrote:Can someone explain to me why there is not very much interest in design C? I thought the galley being open to the inside AND the outside would make this ideal for a hurricane trailer, or a foul weather trailer. And the coffee pot can go where the stove is... and you can have a bathroom sink in that area too. Furthermore, it's easy to package in a 12' long trailer. Please enlighten me... :?

Mike...

I didn't vote for it because in the original drawing it looked like the wheel wells encroached in the cabin and the bath. ;) It still looks like they are too far forward but that is probably just what I think and not real. :roll:

The new picture helps. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:44 am

mikeschn wrote:Can someone explain to me why there is not very much interest in design C? I thought the galley being open to the inside AND the outside would make this ideal for a hurricane trailer, or a foul weather trailer. And the coffee pot can go where the stove is... and you can have a bathroom sink in that area too. Furthermore, it's easy to package in a 12' long trailer. Please enlighten me... :?

Mike...

Mike,

I thought the wheel location was a little too far forward, but I envisioned a galley that was heavily loaded. If it was kept simple it makes a lot of sense. The height of the counter-top height accessed from both sides was a consideration as well. On the plus side would be frame design, a drop floor behind the axle would be easy to implement and could be a simple rectangle from just in front of the door to the galley bulkhead going all the way across to include most of the porta/shower room. If torsion half axles were used the drop floor could be extended forward between the axles up to between the bunks. Given more thought, it was probably just the pretty colors of the original drawing of choice "A" that influenced my vote. :lol:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Tallguy3578 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:25 am

I picked "E" simply because of my little "Master Carpenter In Training" He is still going on and on about when we are going to start building our "house trailer!"

I want to share something with you: The three little sentences that will get you through life. Number 1: Cover for me. Number 2: Oh, good idea, Boss! Number 3: It was like that when I got here.
Tallguy3578
Teardrop Master

Postby Tear Les » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:00 am

Mike...

I don't care for fast drop of the front profile; on the whole it reminds me of a bean.

I also think that it will make the interior feel quite closed in.

If you're lounging on the couch it will be hard to put your back forward and your feet aft and get comfortable because of the low ceiling height getting ever lower as it moves forward.

Also compared to "A" (or the other some of the other designs there's much less storage space and it's hard to access and less usuable in shape (like the rounded floor under the galley).

And I agree with others, the wheelwells look like they'd be tough to work around; in the drawing all of the proposed space ahead of the toilet is consumed by wheelwell. And the one on the right looks like it would force the bed/dinette seat quite high.
Les Lampman
Tear Les
Teardrop Master

Postby Sam I am » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:20 am

I chose "D", assuming the sofa folds out into a bed, thus allowing the dining table to remain up overnight. I don't like the idea of having to collapse a table to make a bed. With this option you can leave all your potato chips and beverage cans on the table overnight. I like the galley pass-through window too.

Sam
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby MOKI SEAKER » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:50 am

I didn't pick A because it has an open galley to the cab of the trailer. I built the tear for survival in very cold weather, and the open to the elements galley cab, just goes against the design idea's I have been working with. I still have not seen a tear except in pictures, an that might effect my judgement... Jim G :thinking: :thinking:
If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed.. If you do read the newspaper. You are misinformed.
Mark Twain
MOKI SEAKER
The 300 Club

Postby Ira » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:05 am

I picked E because of the nice blue upholstery.

And C wasn't even an option for me because I hate yellow.

Plus, where the hell am I going to find 5-foot wide yellow ply down here anyway?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby sid » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:25 am

D

I voted for D. I like the looks of it best, but I'm not sure the "reach into the kitchen" would be very useful. It seems it would just take away from the useable space in the galley area on that wall. They all seem a little short to me to be a standie, and I'm only 6'.
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion