The great glue debate...settled??

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:25 pm

One thing to remember, on a proper joint they are all stronger than wood. I need to read it again to find out which is better on lose joints. :oops:
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby surveytech » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:11 am

This testing must be a conspiracy!

Isn't Oliver Stone claiming that a second test has been done from a grassy knoll somewhere in Texas?
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:24 am

I agree!!! and Geo. Bush KNEW that this testing was going on all along, however it's been proven that the good people at Taunton press are beyond reproach and would never overtly promote a major advertisers product. Note the name Taunton press, the first 5 letters (taunt), to reproach with scornful or insulting words...coincidence, I think not, all part of the conspiracy. I apologize to them and others for my callous remarks. However, I think Scott Forsen should do a test on what glues are easiest to remove from ones hair! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby angib » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:10 am

Having conducted scientific glue tests myself, I'd like to know a LOT more about the detail of their testing method than they have time to reveal in this short trailer before I would rate this as more than 'good intentions' even assuming they are a 100% straight organisation.

For example, 162 samples doesn't sound like enough to see if their test method is reliable considering that they are testing at least 6-9 glues, 3 woods and 3 types of joint. 9x3x3 is 81 so they certainly aren't testing any more than two samples of each combination.

In truth, you would need to run something like the 162 samples, just to prove that you had a decent testing method with a product as variable as wood and a joint as sensitive to tolerances as the one they chose.

It looks like a decent, rigorous, professional test run by people who are industry members, not material scientists, and who consequently have underestimated the size of the task they've undertaken by a factor of at least 10 and maybe 100.

Maybe the full magazine article would prove me wrong, but until I see it, I wouldn't bet on it.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby UK-Corlett » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:37 am

My slant on this.

I was sold Polyurethane PU as the glue used by carpenters building staircases.

That is to say. It fills huge gaps, as it foams. As its slightly foamy its flexible. Also it is hardened by contact with moisture (its easier to engineer a little dampness in the joint than to wait for a large joint to dry out.

I have no data but it looks to me like PU is more water retardant.

So. I made my TD with both.
Aluminium to wood = PU
Delicate joinery = PVA
Structural joints = PU and a little epoxy

I would have used a lot more epoxy but it takes a long lime for the smell to go and my wife hates it.

Most of us builders are not full-time carpenters and need the gap filling qualities of PU. I would take Flexibility in a joint over absolute strength any day. I only wish it was easier to clean up after.

For anyone on the UK. PU sold, as Dupont Joiners-Mate was a lot better than the other cheaper brands I tired. It foamed less and harder when set.

Clive
UK-Corlett
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:53 am

Clive, et all......the foaming qualities of Gorilla Glue(pu) is very brittle and should not be used for filling gaps...the PU construction adhesives(putty like consistencies) WILL fill a gap fairly successfully
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Metal to Metal

Postby Big DE » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:34 am

I want to cover my tear this weekend and was wondering what adhesive works best for aluminum to steel? I bought some Gorilla glue but after reading this thread I'm afraid my skins will end up on the side of I-20 headed to the LCG-II. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

BigDe :D
Big DE
Teardrop Master

Re: Metal to Metal

Postby apratt » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:44 am

Big DE wrote:I want to cover my tear this weekend and was wondering what adhesive works best for aluminum to steel? I bought some Gorilla glue but after reading this thread I'm afraid my skins will end up on the side of I-20 headed to the LCG-II. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

BigDe :D

I would go to a automotive paint supply store and get Duramix product I forget wich one it is, they have a glue for bonding metal together. Works really good but not cheap.

here is the site http://www.levineautoparts.com/durlarmetpan.html
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:11 pm

T-TownTear wrote:
Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Hmmm...
I wonder why Weldwood's Plastic Resin Glue wasn't in the mix???
I've been using that stuff since my high school days.
I like that it comes as a powder and you add water... You control the viscosity.

Wondered the same thing myself. I have used this stuff for years.
I built a wood airplane with the stuff, it is the only glue that is locally available that is FAA certified in aviation use.
It is getting harder and harder to find locally though, I have only found one hardware store around here that carries it. Jody

According to the information on my can Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue contains urea formaldehyde resin and that may be the reason it's hard to find. It works great with a wood welder machine :thumbsup: . You need to keep it away from skin though. I have a can and won't use it because of the formaldehyde content. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Big DE » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:37 pm

Well after several hours of company time looking for an adhesive for my TD I think I have found what Ineed.
http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=243

Im hoping someone has some info on this product :thumbsup: or :thumbdown:

hopefully I can pick some up soon so I can get the TD skinned :twisted:
Thanks for all your help

BigDe
Big DE
Teardrop Master

Postby Pam Wright » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:12 pm

Okay glue mongers..... I did use Tightbond III on the woods on the Cherry Drop.... but now I need to glue a rubber strip over my hatch hinge. I was told to use Butyl.... is that the best for rubber to wood???? what is your opinions?

pam
Rocky Mountain TearJerkers
Director

"Be well, Be safe, Be Happy!"

Image"
Pam Wright
500 Club

Postby apratt » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:41 pm

Pam Wright wrote:Okay glue mongers..... I did use Tightbond III on the woods on the Cherry Drop.... but now I need to glue a rubber strip over my hatch hinge. I was told to use Butyl.... is that the best for rubber to wood???? what is your opinions?

pam

I would use 3M weatherstrip glue. They come in black or yellow.
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:53 pm

Pam I think any type of sealant caulk or even the tape will work. I have never tried the tape on rubber but it is a bear to get off metal. I used silicone sealant but would hesitate to do it again.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Previous

Return to General Discussion