Wiring?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Wiring?

Postby Ross Wade » Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:28 am

We own a 1973 32' Avion and I have made some repairs to the wiring in the past, due to the age. Repairs is one thing, you have something to go by, but starting from scratch is another story. I am building a teardrop and I am at the wiring stage of the game. I understand the wiring layout and how it works. The only thing I don't know is is there a color code that is standard? In the Avion RED was hot and WHITE was neutral. Is this standerd or does it really matter? Our teardrop is only going to have the 12V system in it.

Thanks for any sugestions,

Ross
Ross
Southern Appalachian Tearjerker Chapter Director
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Re: Wiring?

Postby mikeschn » Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:37 am

In my teardrop I use Red for Hot and Black for Ground. There is also a 4 color wire that I'll be pulling for the taillights and running lights. I think it's green, yellow, brown and white. Here's a link with some information that might help. http://www.etrailer.com/faq/wiring.asp

Mike...

Ross Wade wrote:. The only thing I don't know is is there a color code that is standard? In the Avion RED was hot and WHITE was neutral. Is this standerd or does it really matter? Our teardrop is only going to have the 12V system in it.

Thanks for any sugestions,

Ross
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby BufordT » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:22 pm

I just used speaker wire. It's cheap. Used the rib side for ground and the smooth side for hot. Wired each to a fuse box. The battery wire is larger and used red and black.

Buford
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Wiring?

Postby Ross Wade » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:41 pm

Thanks Mike for the link. It will come in real handy.

I made the mistake once (in the 70's) of wiring up a car sterio using speaker wire. A few weeks later I smelled smoke coming from under the dashboard, the outer casing of the speaker wire was fried. It may have been that the sterio was pulling a huge load through those wires. Please be careful.

Just my thoughts, Ross
Ross
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Re: Wiring?

Postby BufordT » Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:32 pm

I got that info from Kevin's plans on the cubby. I fused the wires and so far have not had any problems. The wire is 16 gauge, which if I remember is the recommended size for the lights, etc. I used a ten amp fuse for each light and each outlet. They are fused about 2 ft from the battery.

Buford

Ross Wade wrote:Thanks Mike for the link. It will come in real handy.

I made the mistake once (in the 70's) of wiring up a car sterio using speaker wire. A few weeks later I smelled smoke coming from under the dashboard, the outer casing of the speaker wire was fried. It may have been that the sterio was pulling a huge load through those wires. Please be careful.

Just my thoughts, Ross
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Ross Wade » Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:57 pm

Sounds good Buford. I was probably using 4 strand speaker wire when I did it in the 70's. Back then, we didn't care, as long as it worked right now.

Ross
Ross
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

re: Wiring

Postby Steve Frederick » Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:13 pm

The code that I use in my trade, Electronic control is red is voltage hot, for a/c, or positive for d/c. Black is common in a/c, or negative in d/c . This is the color code I used in my T/D because I don't learn new tricks easily :wink:
For cable, I got alarm system wire from Home Depot. It's 14ga red and black conductors in a sheath.
Hope this helps, Steve
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby Ross Wade » Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:24 pm

That explains the strange looking wires in your teardrop. It's great seeing the progress you're making. This weekends weather should be great. So wiring will be the task at hand for me.

Thanks, Ross
Ross
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Postby Steve Frederick » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:55 am

Ross,
Strange??? Well, I guess you've got me figured out!!
Really, The cable is easy to work with, a lot like household romex cable.
For me, running the cables to a central point for splicing makes life easier if I need to trace out a problem. All the splices are accesable...Can't help it, I'm a technician! :shock:
Steve
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Return to General Discussion