Skidmarks, Dangerous Roads. Any Near You?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Skidmarks, Dangerous Roads. Any Near You?

Postby D. Tillery » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:24 am

The Tongue Weight thread evolved into a discussion of dangerous stretches of highway some of us have encountered and some stories about near misses. There were several mentioned in Texas, Colorado, Mass, and England (thanks Andrew).

With Minden, soon folks will be driving from all directions. Anyone have any places where we should take extra caution pulling trailers? Maybe "we" (Mike) :applause: could do a map if we get enough of them.

D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Re: Skidmarks, Dangerous Roads. Any Near You?

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:13 pm

D. Tillery wrote:The Tongue Weight thread evolved into a discussion of dangerous stretches of highway some of us have encountered and some stories about near misses. There were several mentioned in Texas, Colorado, Mass, and England (thanks Andrew).

With Minden, soon folks will be driving from all directions. Anyone have any places where we should take extra caution pulling trailers? Maybe "we" (Mike) :applause: could do a map if we get enough of them.

D. Tillery

If there are really that many dangerous stretches of road, let me know and I can do a map... otherwise, just get the information in print, in this thread!!! :shock:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Laredo » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:44 pm

Timing being everything: Ranger Hill on Interstate 20 between Ft. Worth and Abilene.

Folks, don't tackle this one unless you know you have everything mechanically shipshape. Just don't. And if it's at night/bad weather ... be careful anyway, if you can't wait for daylight/better weather. It kills school buses on the way home from senior trips to Six Flags every year, in good weather during daylight. :cry:

Raton Pass. I've only been over this once. My dad was driving. I didn't breathe for nearly 20 miles. I have no idea how long it was but I promise it was more than 20 minutes! :frightened:

Expressway 83 between Weslaco and San Juan, Texas (multiple-mile construction zone).
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Dennis T » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:57 am

I have one down the street from me. Rt 13 in Bristol, Pa. North between Bath Rd to Green Lane & vice versa. There are terible accidents at the intersection of Beaver Dam & Rt 13 due to the wide opening, narrow street going into a 4 lane and a Burger King An empty lot that people do illeagle U-turns from, & alot of red light runing. It would really have to be seen. Think I'll take a picture one of these days. Green Lane intersection is just as bad. The Pa turnpike exits onto 13 with a WaWa on the corner. Between the exit ramps, left turn only, right turn cans and cannots, & traffic signal, again I need pictures to really show it.
Maybe that would be interesting to have a few pictures showing the places? :thinking:
Anyway, this is just one of mine dangerous traffic spots.
DennisT
Dennis T
The 300 Club

Any Pa road

Postby anonymous2 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:10 pm

Hello all,

That pretty much describes any road in Pa. PennDot squanders all tax money for politician pockets. Our roads are in bad need of updating,repair ,better road signs,and the list goes on. They take milennias to build,and then tear it up and do it right later. They even built roads that we can not use!. http://www.roadfan.com/man4.html if you want to see our tax dollars wasted. I live in Pa dutch country,just add tourists,and it will take you 1 hour to go 7 miles. Amish buggies are vehicles of choice. We were even voted by Trucker magazine ,as having the worst roads in the nation several years running. If you come to Pa ,just make sure your shocks are in good shape,and make sure you have a spare tire. Oh yeah,Pa drivers don't know what STOP or YIELD mean , what turn signals are used for,and tailgait so close you can read the serial# of their vehicle in the windshield. Welcome to Pa ! Be careful out there!

:x
pateardropper
anonymous2
The 300 Club

Postby Norm » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:10 pm

I could say the same up here in Ontario :lol:

Norm
Norm
Teardrop Master

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:42 pm

Califonia is full of them.

Ask the locals before you go.

there are real twisty mountainus ones with no gaurd rails. Steap and curvy. most of the back roads go along property lines which are rearly square here.

Mountain roads I would recommend electric trailer brakes.
Gage or other Califonians might be a better on to say ya or na on the trailer brake one.
George T ... of Colarado I have drven your roads and New Mexico's to.
George do you have brakes?

There is one road in Deathvalley they just has refectors on the side. If you pull over in the darkness you will drop off a 500 foot cliff. no warning signs like cliff.

There is a road the AAA told my folks to drive over as a shortcut .... Never trust AAA desk people ask the AAA tow truck guys instead .... it went over a mountain in Napa county or Sanoma County full of swichbacks now pull over spots no gaurd rails they were a mess at the other end but alive.

california Hwy 46 between interstates 5 and 101 claims more lives then any other. James Dean died there. Fast and no passing but they try anyway.

But Hwy 1 which runs along the CA Pacific coast is for the most part a very good road.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dennis T » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:20 am

If there are really that many dangerous stretches of road, let me know and I can do a map... otherwise, just get the information in print, in this thread!!!
Here we go again. Listing entire states to stay away from. :x I'm just venting & hey Bill, Eddie is giving away highway funds to public transporation to pay for their problems. It's going to get worse in Pa. :cry:
Now it's time for me to :MLAS
Dennis T[/quote]
Dennis T
The 300 Club

Postby OurStuff4You » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:37 pm

Interesting topic. We're going to be driving from Michigan to Astoria, Oregon in July. I've looked at several different routes - any suggestions what to avoid?
OurStuff4You
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion