Cost to drive in US. Gas cost usage

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby SteveH » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:25 pm

Guess I'm a glutton for punishment also.....

It always gets me when people complaign about the price of gasoline, but at the same time want no new refineries built, especially in their state, and want no new drilling, especially in their costal waters, let alone in the North slope of Alaska. :roll:

Not pointing fingers at anyone specifically on this board, just an observation in general.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby asianflava » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:00 pm

Karl Stevens wrote:I'd like to know where gas is $1.55! It's just DROPPED to $1.91 for the cheap grade here in S. Utah.

Like D. said, you can get it for $1.55 but on average it is still in the mid $1.60s. Austin typically runs a few cents more than SAT. I even got a tank for $1.53 last weekend.

One thing that I see and think is funny. I drive by this gas depot on the way to work. You can see all kinds of trucks there, Exxon, Texaco, Mission, Costal (they deliver to Racetrack and 7-11, etc). They get the gas from the same place, why is there such a difference in prices.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby SteveH » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:48 pm

asianflava,

They get the gas from the same place, why is there such a difference in prices.

I used to work for a company that refined and transported gasoline to those terminals, and it IS all the same gas. It comes from the same refinery, in the same pipe line, and the same tank. They just add different addative packages to the gas as it is pumped into the truck to be delivered to the retailer. The main reason they charge different prices, however, is because they can!
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

A Beautiful Thread

Postby Guy » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:46 pm

Dear All,

This thread began as a great idea about posting gasoline prices throughout the country for those who may have to be concerned about prices. A simple notion.

I rarely have seen so many people with such a common interest, talking past one another.
Joeseph and Karl are both right. Joseph points out great averages however Karl is dealing with specifics to his state and region. In the West diesel fuel costs much less to produce than gasoline. The reason for this is there is only one(basically) diesel duel for retail consumption while there are 12 different gasolines produced for Calif, Ariz, Nev, and Utah. And these are not the same gasoline with just some additives. They are different formulations to comply with very different emission control regulations in the states served by the refineries. The plants are very different. Texas, OK, and LA do no have such a difficulty because they share relatively similar and stable emission control laws.

Furthermore, one cannot allow any "national" average to color the debate on prices since the level of state taxes differ widely and so do the federal and state subsidies given to farming, agriculture, and certain industries.

What unites those on this board is a love of camping and being outdoors in our trailers. Anything that makes that more enjoyable, beautiful, pleasing to the eye and soft on the pocket should be appreciated and shared.
Last edited by Guy on Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Lone Wolf » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:53 pm

GAS JUST JUMPER UP .09 CENTS A GALLON HERE TODAY. :x :x :x :thumbdown: :cry: :BE AND I HAVE TO DRIVE 135 MILES A DAY TO WORK.
HAPPY TRAILS
Lone Wolf
Teardrop Advisor

Re: A Beautiful Thread

Postby asianflava » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:36 pm

Guy wrote:This thread began as a great idea about posting gasoline prices throughout the country for those who may have to be concerned about prices. A simple notion.

I use this website to check the prices in town http://www.austingasprices.com/ Sometimes the prices aren't current but you get an idea of which station sells cheapest. Their parent site is http://www.gasbuddy.com/ There is some interesting info when you compare prices in different regions.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Joseph » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:21 am

Lone Wolf wrote:AND I HAVE TO DRIVE 135 MILES A DAY TO WORK.

Gotcha beat by five miles, LW - 140 round trip. And I drive a Ford Ranger that gets about 20mpg. Life goes on...

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Lone Wolf » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:21 am

I drive a chevy S 10 about the same mileage.
HAPPY TRAILS
Lone Wolf
Teardrop Advisor

Postby D. Tillery » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:03 am

Guy, It is typically pretty entertaining to see how threads evolve in this group. I guess we with common interests enjoy some good natured banter.

Joseph, I hate to think we are not part of the equation. Once the gas price problem gets bad enough, we will get off the couch. Who knows what will give but right now most Americans are more concerned with having good cell coverage, being late for a tee time or whether junior will make the team to bother themselves with the world's issues.

I wanted to ramble on but I gotta zip down to Mexico today to buy medicine. $16 vs. $49 per month (one example) It's worth the drive until gas gets to about $25/gal.

D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby D. Tillery » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:11 am

Made the 150mi trip to Nuevo Laredo on Friday. Filled up in SA for $1.58. Gas along the "I35 Corridor" south ran around $1.75, Diesel around $1.93. Did not see a gas station in Mexico as we walked across. Exchange rate +/- 11.50.

Meds were cheaper than last time. We saved about $400 even after factoring in gas, lunch w/Carta Blancas, bottle of Kahlua, blanket and trinkets. It is always a nice trip. Things are really booming along the Texas border. I guess someone forgot to tell them there is supposed to be a recession. That "huge sucking sound" everyone laughed at Ross Perot about...Do you hear it now?

D. Tillery
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to General Discussion