Do something, anything, to get started...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Do something, anything, to get started...

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:15 pm

I saw a thread here recently where someone wanted to do something, anything so he could feel like he was getting started. I can relate... So I went out to the garage this evening after work and did something so that I could feel like I am getting started again...

Here are the steps I did, you can tell me if I did them in backwards order... but at least I got started... and the bench cost me a whopping $14.67 (including tax)... :lol:

Step 1 - Figure out a nice profile, and cut it out of luan!

Step 2 - Build an assembly bench

Step 3 - Lay your profile on your assembly bench...

Suddenly, you're well on your way to a new teardrop!!! :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Ken A Hood » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:26 pm

Ok, Ok enough with the nagging :cry:

Tomorrow I will go a buy a sheet of 1/4" ply or masonite. But I'm only going to draw it up 1/2 scale, since it's going to be a 5x10ish............and don't have the garage space cleared out yet. Maybe I'll just copy the AutoCad profile to an overhead and project it on the sheet...

Yes, I will post pics....
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:32 pm

Ken A Hood wrote:Tomorrow I will go a buy a sheet of 1/4" ply or masonite. But I'm only going to draw it up 1/2 scale, since it's going to be a 5x10ish............and don't have the garage space cleared out yet. Maybe I'll just copy the AutoCad profile to an overhead and project it on the sheet...

Yes, I will post pics....

Ken,

If it were me I would draw it up full size. That's the only way you are really going to get a feel for the size. And if you end up liking it, you can use it for the actual construction!!! ;)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby beverlyt » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:33 pm

Mike,
I would like to see the Widget profile "in front" of the other profile to see the difference in size. Could ya?

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:44 pm

You mean something like this...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Chip » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:47 pm

Get started,,,,,,heck if ya sitting here reading these threads and doodling on paper with profiles and searching frantically for teardrop parts you have long been started,, this stuff keeps going and sombody is gonna have to come up with a 10 step program to un-recovery,,
I have not seen but one person who actually started a teardrop and lost interest in the process of building one,, and then you got guys like Mike and Alan who are on tear number 3 or 4,, you two might even need professional help... oh well I guess I found something that keeps me on the streets. but ya know I think I am in good company. :thumbsup:

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby beverlyt » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:56 pm

Thanks Mike!

Well, the Widget is some shorter.... but then I'm some shorter too.

hmmmmm..... maybe just a few more inches in height would be best.
Last edited by beverlyt on Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:57 pm

Have you started you next build Chip?

I think building teardrops is fun! And it keeps me off the streets at night! Something about the creating process... it's always cool to see your designs come to life.

What's your next one going to look like Chip?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Chip » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:06 pm

Mike,,,yea I got drawings on the drafting table as we speak,,, It is similar to the profile of mine now but a bit more rounded on the front bottom, over all its 7 ft long and 4' high, and will be 4'wide,, so far simplistic is the plan, basic galley with a slide out under the counter,,minimal shelves. The plan is for a light weight overnighter,,sort of a BED & BREAKFAST deal,, metal or epoxy outside, one door and basic electrics.. course you know how plans are,,lmao,,they tend to change a bit,,

chip
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Jiminsav » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:07 pm

Chip, when you start your new one, make sure you have a quality woman on hand to do the interior design again.. :lol:
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Chip » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:11 pm

:D have not even thought about interior yet other than light color,, maybe I will have some feathers and beads left over from the Florida trip I can use inside

chip
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:12 pm

Chip wrote:over all its 7 ft long and 4' high, and will be 4'wide,, so far simplistic is the plan, basic galley with a slide out under the counter,,minimal shelves. The plan is for a light weight overnighter

Aw, and here I thought you were going to go bigger and fancier, like the Lil Diner, or a Midget... But I understand, there is always room for a "Mad Dash Teardrop" as Grant calls it!!! :lol:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:23 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote::MLAS

Well look who's back. Glad to see Ma Bell got you back online, or did you splurge on a cable connection? :lol:

Anyways, you got a lot of catching up to do. ;)

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:28 pm

Yes I Do...
and the phoneline is still not fixed, but seems to be working.
Yeah... Widgets, Tidgets and Midgets... Wow!!!
Alas.... The Island Fever is slowly fading and I'm getting used to reality again. (Mainland Blues)
BTW-I found a new wine glass emoticon for you guys.
:tipsy:
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:and the phoneline is still not fixed, but seems to be working.

Cable, my man.... cable!!! :lol:

It's good to have you back!!!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion