5 x 8' Trailer Kits

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

5 x 8' Trailer Kits

Postby TomS » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:26 pm

I just found a source for 5 x 8 foot utility trailer kits. They seem to be very similar to the HF kits.

http://www.redtrailers.com/Trailers.asp
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:31 pm

That's perfect. I expect to see some of these 5x8s show up on the forum. It's a good base for what I consider to be the right sized trailer!!! Not too big and not too small!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby andysbunny » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:04 pm

It's a good idea, especially since this is the size I want. But, this is also what I found...

Redtrailers.com $499 +$90 shipping

Northerntool sale flyer $569.99 (I would pick up at the store)

Lowes $659.

Now for the cool part. the Lowes and Northern Tool Trailers are almost Identical. Therefore, this is what I will probably do...Take the Northern Tool ad into Lowes, Get the price match plus 10%, totalling $513.

Now if I lived closer to Red Trailers (in PA) I would get it for 499, but would have to assemble it also.

Just my 2 cents.

Dawn
andysbunny
Teardrop Builder

Almost does not count

Postby Guy » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:40 pm

Dawn, I think it has to be the exact same product?
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:58 pm

Dawn,

I think what you are about to learn is that teardroppers have a much larger geographical area than the average person.... For example, I don't think twice about visiting Steve, who is 3 states and about 9 hours away.

So you might as well start practicing.... If you see a trailer that you really like, and it's a state or 2 away, by all means, make a weekend out of it...

BTW, I think we'll be passing through when we go to visit Frank in SC. Want some company?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby andysbunny » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:14 pm

I think what you are about to learn is that teardroppers have a much larger geographical area than the average person.... For example, I don't think twice about visiting Steve, who is 3 states and about 9 hours away.

Okay, okay. I need to learn to be flexible. Otherwise, I may never meet any of you great guys!

BTW, I think we'll be passing through when we go to visit Frank in SC. Want some company?

What way are you going? Maybe we can all get together for the day!
andysbunny
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:31 pm

andysbunny wrote:What way are you going? Maybe we can all get together for the day!

I'm thinking either Edisto Beach or Myrtle Beach... OR I may have to go inland a touch, as Frank and Linda live in Aiken, SC. Depending on how the build goes with Steve, determines when I can start traveling... Would be neat if you could join us for the day or the weekend... As it stands right now, I'm thinking late Summer... but I'll keep yuns posted!!!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby andysbunny » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:33 pm

Yuns?!

Are you from around these parts?

Dawn
andysbunny
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:35 pm

andysbunny wrote:Yuns?!

Are you from around these parts?

Dawn

No, sorry... The closest I got to those parts is when I lived in Pgh. And in Pgh, yuns is all you know... !!!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:41 pm

Of course, things have a way of working out.... we are thinking about SC for retirement... Yuns will never be able to get rid of us then... :rofl: What street did you say you lived on? :lol:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby DANL » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:12 pm

:thinking:
Now if I could just build a fold-up teardrop to fit onto the fold-up trailer, I could slide the whole thing into a corner of the garage, pile some junk on it, and my wife wouldn't even notice a second trailer project.

Maybe I'd better just finish remodeling the lower level.
The tiny trailer in the avatar is designed to carry our recumbents and sometimes sleep in. We LOVE having a kitchen in the woods and a place for most of our gear.
Dan Jones http://sunsetlanding.com/teardrop/teardrop_intro.html
DANL
Donating Member

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:43 pm

When I see prices of $500 for a flimsy 12 inch tire trailer I cringe. A well built 14 or 15 inch wheeled heavier welded frame should cost a lot less. Buy a Dodge caravan axle assy, a hack saw and some steel. Cut it and pay some one to weld it and have 3 times the trailer for 50 or 60 percent of the cost.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Craig McCormick » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:44 am

We have been using 12" wheeled $300.00 flimsy trailers for utility and to build teardrops for over 17 years and never "cringe". We just use them within their limits and we maintain them as needed. They are not meant to be overloaded, off-roaded, driven over 65mph, or neglected. Just my .02

AZCRAIG
Craig McCormick
Teardrop Master

Postby TomS » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:11 am

Alan writes:

When I see prices of $500 for a flimsy 12 inch tire trailer I cringe. A well built 14 or 15 inch wheeled heavier welded frame should cost a lot less. Buy a Dodge caravan axle assy, a hack saw and some steel. Cut it and pay some one to weld it and have 3 times the trailer for 50 or 60 percent of the cost.

Yes, I suppose I could save some money by cutting my own steel and scrounging an axel and wheels out of a junk yard. However, I don't think $300 - $350 total cost for a welded trailer is very realistic.

In my neck of the woods, skilled labor is very expensive. Plumbers get $50 - $60 /hr. The company I work for bills my time at $75 / hr for web site design and maintenence. My dentist gets $60 for a 45 min. apointment with the hygenist. I don't know what the going rate is for a skilled welder. But, based on the above figures I believe it's got to be at least $40 - $50/hr. Probably more. How long does it take to weld a trailer together? 5 to 6 hours? At $50/hr you're looking at $250 to $300 for welding alone. On top of all that, you still have the cost of raw materials and parts.

The RedTrailer 4 x 8 model is only $10 more than the HF 1800# trailer. I've been looking real hard, and this is the only 5x8 bolt together trailer kit that I've seen anywhere. I do think these guys are demanding a premium price for the extra width. The material and fabrication costs can't be that much more than the 4 x 8. I bet their margin on the 5 x 8 trailer is much higher than the 4 x 8.

I know there are other folks out there who paid to have trailer frames fabricated. I'd be interested in knowing how much they paid.

Finally, if there are any welders out there interested in fabricating a 5 x 8 trailer frame for the kind of money we're discussing here, I'd like to talk to you. I don't mind cutting my own steel.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:44 am

Check out your local community college for a welding class and do it in class or see if they will do at as project sometimes just for the experience or you may have to pay for materials. Same goes for High School shop classes. Buy a cheap (under $100.00) 110V arc welder and tack it together before you take it to that expensive pro welder and it shouldn't take an hour or so to finish weld. You clean up the welds. Many ways of getting this done cheaper. Rent a Mig welder and do it yourself.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion