CA rules of the road?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby tj0llll0 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:54 am

I have found when driving with a trailer in the peoples republic of california (18 wheels, governed at 67), I could run at 67 as long as I wasnt in and out of lanes passing cars, the chp left me alone.
Here in nevada, I took a class with the dmv to be a cdl tester for my employer, and the people there said that those big rv's are now required to be driven by a non-comercial cdl driver and the rv/tow vehicle weight limits are starting to be more closely watched, which means that some 3/4 and 1 ton trucks arent big enough to tow some of the rv's out there. Dont know if its true or not, but thats what the dmv people told me.

John in Vegas
tj0llll0
Teardrop Builder

Postby asianflava » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:10 am

tj0llll0 wrote:, which means that some 3/4 and 1 ton trucks arent big enough to tow some of the rv's out there. Dont know if its true or not, but thats what the dmv people told me.

I believe it, there are some truly monstrous 5ers out there. Here are some Tow Vehicles that'd make MadJAck feel at home in.

asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby madjack » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:36 am

John, as a former trucker, driving instructor and CDL tester, that the DOT in many places are checking on tow limits on P/U pulling 5th wheelers(haven't seen it but have been told)...many folks have had to upgrade from 3/4 and 1 ton duallies. I haven't heard of a non-comercial CDL being needed for straight up RV's but one would be required(air, air over hyd, air over elec) for the rigs in the pics that Rocky posted...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Roly Nelson » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:27 am

When my woody is in tow, I usually tuck right in between 2 semi's and cruise along with them at what ever speed they are going. This means a lot of lane changing, however, since many trucks stay in the right lane unless making room for cars entering the freeway from an onramp. Hence, move over for merging traffic and back again when clear.

I too enjoy having the left hand ready to return a thumbs up, when needed, especially when kids in passing cars see the Jack-in-the-box head looking at them, out of the left window of the tear.

I don't want to hijack a thread, but it amazes me how many car passengers are completly oblivious to a cute little trailer they are passing. Does the world just slide idolly by, as they sit transfixed in thier gloomy little world, staring at the asphalt as it passes beneath them?

Roly :thinking:
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Bobgorilla » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:22 pm

California must have really slacked off on truckers, I remember worrying about going 57 in a 55 when the CHP was around. I hated going to Cal almost as much as going to the northeast. I thought they should create a depot at the Nevada border and make all Cal residents come there to get their stuff. 55 just sucks when you get paid by the mile.
if you're not bleeding you're not really working
Bobgorilla
Teardrop Dreamer

Postby Dale M. » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:34 pm

jeepr wrote:

Then driving down from San Francisco to LA, we took that route along the ocean. What a beautiful drive, if you were to ban all the loco drivers! The road twists and turn, there was stone wall rising up along the left and a guardrail (if you were lucky) and nothing on the right! I was driving a rented Taurus, driving about 5mph over the speed limit, white knuckling it around corners with the tires squealing in protest, all the while old ladies in Toyotas and Hondas were passing me on the blind curves and flipping me the bird! :lol:

If you were white knuckle on Highway I between SF and LA obviously you were going to fast....... That is NOT a road for heroics, it is a road for the safe and sane rule and the local HP who is in daily partol between Monterey and Morro Bay will not ticket you or blink a eye for impeding the flow of traffic........

Sane rules on the coast road is to drive speed you are comfortable with, and pull over at safe wide spots and let any traffic that has built behind you pass ( good rule any time, especially on 2 lane roads) ..... That is only road I know if it sign says slow to 25 MPH it literally means it.... I have commuted that road off and on for over 40 year.... Ands have witnesses a large amount of stupidity on that road and several over edge rescues and recoveries (which mucks up traffic for hours) ....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:12 pm

I've camped 3 times in California. I hate the 55 mph when towing rule. :x
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby asianflava » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:30 pm

Dale M. wrote:If you were white knuckle on Highway I between SF and LA obviously you were going to fast.......

That is a relative term, white knuckle for one person is not the same as it is for another. If a person grew up driving on those types of roads, the speed limit would seem too slow, a person not used to that situation would feel that the speed limits were too fast.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby jeepr » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:32 pm

asianflava wrote:
Dale M. wrote:If you were white knuckle on Highway I between SF and LA obviously you were going to fast.......

That is a relative term, white knuckle for one person is not the same as it is for another. If a person grew up driving on those types of roads, the speed limit would seem too slow, a person not used to that situation would feel that the speed limits were too fast.

:thumbsup:

Thanks Dale M., but I told the story more as an anecdote. I know how to drive safe, but people on that road didn't. :lol:
Mike C.
jeepr
The 300 Club

Postby ebonbetta » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:30 pm

I have never seen the 55 when towing rule inforced ever in Ca. Except in a case I was on where they used the ticket the guy got while driving a boat to the dock, to prove he was part of a criminal conspircy.
ebonbetta
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TheBizMan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:42 pm

I was on the 405 near compton and all traffic around me was doing 70-85 mph. I got ticketed for doing 65 pulling my TD. The officer just shrugged when I pointed out 7 cars and trucks going by pulling trailers and doing over 70. Of course they all had CA plates and I'm from Arizona. I filed a complaint with the state and all I got was a notice to pay $375.
Lee - TheBizMan sez
Teardrops make for happy camping
ImageImage
TheBizMan
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:45 pm

Well I tow about 400 miles a month in CA, and also have never seen anybody pullover for going above 55 , But I'm not going to test the theory one is exempt either.....

As long as your rig or your driving habits does not attract attention you are pretty safe.....

As for Highway 1 Below Carmel, have commuted it every day for as much as 4 months at at time ... Its the only road I hate tourists on because they drive road stupid (65 on short straights and 15 in corners), but I will also say that when sign says slow to 35 (or something like that ) it is one of the few roads it really means it (no 10 mph over recommended speed)...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion