1965 Scad-A-Bout Wiring Question

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

1965 Scad-A-Bout Wiring Question

Postby kartvines » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:12 pm

Novice question again: When re wiring, I will be upgrading the interior, should I install a fuse block to protect all of the 12 volt components? I want to be able to power most of the things, such as TV, heaters and the likes with a plug in similar to a cig lighter power supply, so they can be plugged in only when they are in use. How many of these power supplies can I have? Also I thought I would run a single 110 system to power lights and maybe other things, in case of power being offered at a camp ground. Has any body had any problems doing so. I do not want a lot of clutter, being we are talking about a very small interior. Is it even worth while running two systems? I mean I can run a floating charger instead.
Image..Image..Image..
Image.
kartvines
500 Club

Postby madjack » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:03 am

...fuse everything, you don't want to wake up on fire one night. You can get inline fuses for simplicity or your local auto parts should have fuse blocks available in varying sizes, they should also have 12v cig type adapters in 1,2 or 3 socket sizes, some of these, such as you find at truck stops have built in fuses.
As to 120vac, you can get a plug with GFI built into it, and make up your own extension cord to run a battery charger or get a 12v power supply and run all your 12v appliances off of shore power at camp site, if you browse thru the electrical secrets section of this forum you can see a number of different options, which range from the very simple to the extremely complex
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby kartvines » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:40 am

As to 120vac, you can get a plug with GFI built into it, and make up your own extension cord to run a battery charger or get a 12v power supply and run all your 12v appliances off of shore power at camp site

:thinking:

Madjack

Thanks for the information, Now do I understand the above comment.

Make a extension cord that has a GFI unit on the female side? What is a 12 volt power supply? This unit will convert 120 to 12volt? Are you speaking of a power inverter? Has anyone had luck with the inverters sold at H.F.?

Mike
Image..Image..Image..
Image.
kartvines
500 Club

Postby madjack » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:54 pm

...KV, the GFI is built into the male sideI made one up for work it feeds a square box with double outlets that way anything plugged into box is GFI protected. The 120vac to 12vdc is known as a converter as opposed to an inverter which goes from 12vdc to 120ac...the 120 to 12 is a regulated power supply as opposed to a battery charger which clips off one side of the 120vAV sine wave making it DC but leaving spikes in the sine wave, they can be used to replace battery power when hooked up to 120vAC
they are similar to this http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Prod ... 46/c-10107
madjack 8)
p.s. sorryif I was not clear before
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:56 pm

...also see this thread in electrical secrets section of forum
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=1255

madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby kartvines » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:43 pm

Mad Jack

Thanks for the follow up. I want to make sure that when I wire my TD I would choose to do it right the first time.

Now are you are you saying that you used this converter for a overall power supply once you have a 120 AC supply at a camp site. Are you also charging your battery with it, or is it bypassed.

Mike
Image..Image..Image..
Image.
kartvines
500 Club

Postby madjack » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:15 pm

kartvines wrote:Mad Jack

Thanks for the follow up. I want to make sure that when I wire my TD I would choose to do it right the first time.

Now are you are you saying that you used this converter for a overall power supply once you have a 120 AC supply at a camp site. Are you also charging your battery with it, or is it bypassed.

Mike

....KV, I presently do not have a TD, however I have used these power supplies in other application, and yes if the PS is of sufficient size it can be used to power all of your 12v needs when hooked to 120vAC shore power and also used to keep battery charged...IE: converter feeds into battery and from there powers your campers 12vDC systems....this is how many commercial campers without on board generators are setup
madjack 8)

P.S. in another thread, someone posted concerns about overcharging the battery with this setup, however in the 2 previous camper trailers(a 21' and a 26' Holiday Rambler)this is how they were wired and I experienced no problems with them I also ran a similar setup to power a small camp house
madjack
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion