Coffee Pots

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby Arne » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:52 am

my coffee maker is a microwave. and folgers coffee crystals... it is a great coffee maker, and it can reheat coffee as well... and cook hotdogs.

Something about "waking up with folgers in your cup".. oh, and some kind of fake coffeemate french vanilla crap... makes a great cup of joe.....

In real life, I buy chicory coffee from Cafe du Monde in new orleans by mail.. but on the road, don't bother.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Lynn Coleman » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:36 am

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies so far. Paul obviously loves his coffee. His favorite is cafe bustelo, which is an expresso coffee that he cooks up as his regular coffee. He also likes to chew on chocolate covered expresso beans.

Coffee Ice cream is the extent of my coffee appreciation but I do try to buy him what he likes and would appreciate.

I do have a question for those of you who posted about coffee presses, are they as strong as what you'd get from a drip coffee maker?

Thanks for all the input.

Lynn
Lynn Coleman
Donating Member

Postby Hamcan » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:30 am

I have an Aero press, perfect for teardrop camping, very small size, easy to use, easy to clean, unbreakable, excellent cup of coffee. The key is the little paper filter that reduces the oil and yuck that you get in an unfiltered french press.
Lynn, you can make your coffee as weak or strong as you like.

Regards, JG
Hamcan
Silver Donating Member

Postby dguff » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:31 am

We like to use an old Melitta filter system, making coffee by the mug. Fast and simple, make as much or little as you like in whatever strength you want.

Jerome :)
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby AmyH » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:13 am

I have a percolator, but to be honest, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get a perfect cup of coffee from it! I have tried a number of times, and it always comes out too weak, and there are always little bits of coffee that make their way out of the basket into the brew. I just don't have the patience in the morning to wait for percolator coffee. :lol: I am seriously considering one of the nice lexan french presses. I used to use a french press, and I always loved the flavor from it. The aeropress looks pretty neat, but I want to be able to get more than one cup brewed at a time. That is also why I am staying away from the one-cup cone filters. I need to make up about 4-6 cups at a time, it's the only thing that gets me going in the morning. :coffee:
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby Mary K » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:02 pm

Last weekend,I made a 4 cup brew in one of these

I used a 4 cup bag (like ya get in a hotell room)and 4 coffee cups of water. I let it perk for 20min. Dad said it was the best cup of camp coffee he had ever had. Go figure.....

Takes a long time to perk though.

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

single cup cowboy coffee

Postby NWsage » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:35 pm

I usually keep a big pot of water boiling on the campfire and use it to serve up a variety of drinks ... hot chocolate, hot cider, tea, and coffee.

We make a version of cowboy coffee by the cup. Put ground coffee in the bottom of your mug and pour the boiling water over it. Let sit for several minutes, then drizzle enough cold water on top to make the ground sink to the bottom.

Isn't it amazing all of the ways to make a cup of coffee?

Suanne
NWsage
Donating Member

Postby Geron » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:40 pm

AmyH wrote:I have a percolator, but to be honest, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get a perfect cup of coffee from it! I have tried a number of times, and it always comes out too weak, and there are always little bits of coffee that make their way out of the basket into the brew. I just don't have the patience in the morning to wait for percolator coffee. :lol: I am seriously considering one of the nice lexan french presses. I used to use a french press, and I always loved the flavor from it. The aeropress looks pretty neat, but I want to be able to get more than one cup brewed at a time. That is also why I am staying away from the one-cup cone filters. I need to make up about 4-6 cups at a time, it's the only thing that gets me going in the morning. :coffee:

Amy,

I agree. No way to get a decent cup of coffee from a percolator.
With the Aeropress you can brew a triplet. Two triplets would give you six cups Americano in less time than a drip would run through the grinds.

Yeah, I like my Aeropress :roll:

Now, having bad mouthed the perc. Must admit. Coffee is like gun control/conceal carry. The world will never agree on what a good cup of coffee is. Soooo,
Do your own thing.

Brew coffee you like.

g
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Rick Sheerin » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:20 pm

Here is the secret for a good pot of percolated coffee, ( Steve and Phyliss Frederick can back me up on this ) :
-Use 1/4 cup of coffee for every 3 cups of water. ( actually, that's just how it works out in my coffee maker to make a full pot. )
-Heat water at full heat until coffee starts to perk.
-When you see the brown of the coffee bubbling up, turn the heat down to low, almost shy of turning your burner off.
-Let coffee perk slowly for 10 minutes.
-After the 10 minutes are up, turn off burner and let sit for 5 minutes.
-Remove the grounds strainer, pour, and enjoy a delicious cup of coffee!! :coffee:
Rick S
1996 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17ft

Careful with that Axe, Eugene
Rick Sheerin
500 Club

Postby sdtripper2 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:29 pm

Geron wrote:Lynn,

Get an Aeropress

http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress_story.htm

And Don't look back :roll:

A former Press Pot (French Press) guy, the Aeropress beats the press pot hands down for convenience, speed, cleanup, control over brewing, taste, etc. etc.

I've tried and still use from time to time (except for perk!!)
French press
Ibrik
Moka pots
Drip
Melitta cones
Percolators (worst way to brew coffee ever!)
Cowboy

Just ignore all the hype in the advertisement.
Alan Adler, the inventor, is also the inventor of the aerobie flying disk.

Check out the 28 page thread on Coffeegeek.com for more info. on the aeropress than you would EVER want. Give yourself a WEEK to read it all!!!!! Alan Adler contributes to this thread and you can ask him any questions. He's glad to respond.

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines

No I don't sell them. Yes, I do like it.

Coffee in less than a minute. Cleanup -- 10 seconds.

Geron

Geron:

I got interested in reading and following your links on the Aropress. Have a
similar kitchen accoutrement called a Measure-all, that I use for measuring
wet and dry ingredients in cooking
an know how well that works for its use
and clean uP, so was keen on looking into your suggestion.

Makes perfect sense that coffee totally touches the hot water and doesn't
get bitter from over brew in a center drip type maker.

Here is a video of the Aropress, I found that shows the ease of which you speak to use and
clean uP of this coffee maker. So for those that want to see the Aropress in
action click on the link above. Note: Scroll down mid screen to see the Video.

Thanks for the suggestion Geron ~ :thumbsup:

Steve

PS:
I found the AroPress here for $21.50 with a $6.00 shipping charge that brings
the cost to $27.50 that is just $2.40 above the average websites cost of
$25.95 with a $6.00 charge or $31.95 or a $4.45 savings to go buy coffee
with. Coffee filters range from $2.95 to $4.25 on different sites. Your on
your own when buying them. However I bought 2-350 bundles from TealCo
for the highest price of $4.25 and my shipping charge of $6.00 didn't
change. So thinking I just wanted the stuff all to come in one box I blew
the extra 2 bucks and bought from them.

Want to pay sales tax find a local shop to walk in and buy here.
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby Geron » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:05 pm

Steve,

Just a follow up:

Those that "seem" to know far more than I about such things have suggested the following to me. I know not if it is true or not -- totally secondhand.

Caffeine = water soluble
Coffee Acids = water soluble

Reduced extraction time (contact with grinds) = less caffeine
and = reduced "bitter" coffee taste

However the benefit of the aeropress is that IF you want MORE caffeine extraction increase extraction time
OR if you enjoy
More pungent, acid, heavy coffee = increase extraction time.

The Trick is -- You are in control of the brew (all aspects of it) -- NOT your machine.

Talk about "designer" coffee :applause: :applause:

Have it YOUR way.

Geron
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby AmyH » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:41 pm

Geron, I went to the Coffee Geek forum and took a long read-through of the Aeropress. I must admit, I am seriously considering getting one now! ;) It looks like it will work really well, and I like the fact that the clean up is super easy. I always hated cleaning the filter on the french press. I am a big fan of americanos, so this looks like it might work out quite nicely. BTW, how do you do a triple in that thing?
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby caseydog » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:04 pm

I have used a French press in the past. That makes a bold flavored brew.

For backpacking, I carried the "singles" filter-pack coffee and brewed it in my cup. The taste was mediocre, IMO, but it was small and lightweight.

I've done cowboy coffee, too. It will do in a pinch.

I just bought a couple of cheap percolators. One is a stainless stovetop pot, and the other is electric. I think that is going to be my winner for camping. I'll get to try it in a few weeks.

I don't want to use a glass pot drip coffeemaker, because the coffee gets cold too fast outside on a cold morning. The "carafe" type are expensive.

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:13 pm

AmyH wrote:I have a percolator, but to be honest, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get a perfect cup of coffee from it! I have tried a number of times, and it always comes out too weak, and there are always little bits of coffee that make their way out of the basket into the brew.

The problem is probably your grind.

Drip grinds are very fine, since drip coffeemakers usually use paper filters. When I use my French press, I get a very coarse grind. I plan to do the same thing for my percolators.

My grandfather used to make awesome coffee in a percolator, so I'm hoping I have that talent in my genes.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby rbonner » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:23 pm

I use a perk like Mary k, never had aproblem. Also have a 12v coffee maker. The truck stops have alot of 12v appliances, from coffe pots to crock pots. If theres a lot of people I fire up the generator and break out the BUNN.
If you dont start, you,ll never get finished! http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd170/RonBonner/
rbonner
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion